GC vs WV

mas1821

18 minutes ago, sportslover88 said:

So you think when tournaments start that McCall as a freshman, Simpson and Alexander as sophomores, and Jada and Brigance as juniors will get stage fright and won’t play as well as they have been? Even on their home court? I just don’t see it happening!

I will say this. I thought GC played with more confidence in the 4th and he has to try and build on that. Wilkins also is good in tournament games. GC had chances late in the first. Had 2 or 3 possible possessions leading 9-8 and didn’t convert and had a TO or 2. Westview is a great team and are tough. You have to wonder what will happen if there three’s aren’t falling like they did tonight. It would be interesting to see how Westview handles a good 2-3 zone themselves. Might shoot even better but Jada is getting in the paint at will right now. 

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

Played man all night but he may have to adjust. We can’t guard her. Westview likes to set screens up top. I think personally taking her out of the paint and playing zone we might be able to contest their threes’s better. We are collapsing and she is finding the open girl. Zone may not work either but man sure isn’t  working. She is a beast to guard. 

There aren’t many girls in the state that can guard her.

Both Westview and Gibson Co get home cooking home their home floors so that is to be expected. Jada is tough to guard for any team. Gibson Co will definitely need production from #34 and the other guard if they want to compete with Loretto and Westview in the post-season. Both of those coaches from what I have seen are about as good as it gets when it comes to working the officials. When I go to games I watch everything; teams, coaches, officials and fans.

2 hours ago, BallIsLife1 said:

Both Westview and Gibson Co get home cooking home their home floors so that is to be expected. Jada is tough to guard for any team. Gibson Co will definitely need production from #34 and the other guard if they want to compete with Loretto and Westview in the post-season. Both of those coaches from what I have seen are about as good as it gets when it comes to working the officials. When I go to games I watch everything; teams, coaches, officials and fans.

I just rewatched the first half. Westview did a great job of using there guards and post setting screens to create just enough space for their shooters. GC got tangled up enough for them to get uncontested three’s. Some were NBA range but they made a lot of them. Westview’s guards are constantly crossing and setting screens and there post. Shooters are so good it don’t take much space for them. This is the best shooting Westview team I believe I have seen them have. They use screens to create space and their PG to get into the paint and kick out when GC’s defense collapses some. Very tough offense to guard man to man with all the screens and the penetration. Thought a few possessions on GC’s offensive end there were really good crisp passes especially into the post that were major productive. But other possessions there were girls open but the passing was so sloppy and slow for whatever reason that it created Turnovers especially in the first half and Westview converted off of several of them. GC did not get a bucket off of a Westview Turnover all night. Westview’s zone is tough but GC has got to move the ball faster. And back to Jada and to GC’s defense probably not many players in the state if any that can guard her. Loretto and Westview both look to be the teams to beat. Would be interesting to see how Westview would fare against them since both play a 2-3 zone and dealing with Loretto’s length out of the zone. But on to the tournaments. Also very glad the Westview player returned last night that got hurt. Didn’t look good when it happened. 

Edited by pioneer42

13 hours ago, sportslover88 said:

It’s hard to guard her! There’s also no telling how many assists she had either. She loves dishing it to the open shooter as much as she does finishing and scoring herself! 

I will say I was not impressed with Wilkins tonight…it’s one thing to mouth to the refs but it’s tacky when you start mouthing to the opposing coach. “You can’t get all the calls” “I just want them to call it even”…I’m not sure if he was watching a different game but the fouls were pretty even!

I observed some tension there as well. Word in the stands was that WV’s Coach asked for game film as customary between opponents (especially local opponents) on GC & McKenzie before WV played Mckenzie, and neither Wilkins (GC or Mckenzie) would swap out. Some sort of glitch?? Lol.
In today’s time and with it being digital, that’s Bush league. 
It is what it is. Haskins never directed anything at Wilkins last night, but Wilkins was talking to Haskins when he was addressing the referees. 

I understand wanting an edge, family relationships, and all of that…but at the end of the night, it’s a game. 

For the record, I like Wilkins and respect GC, but if that’s true then that is Bush league. 

Edited by LetsGoBrandon

22 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

I observed some tension there as well. Word in the stands was that WV’s Coach asked for game film as customary between opponents (especially local opponents) on GC & McKenzie before WV played Mckenzie, and neither Wilkins (GC or Mckenzie) would swap out. Some sort of glitch?? Lol.
In today’s time and with it being digital, that’s Bush league. 
It is what it is. Haskins never directed anything at Wilkins last night, but Wilkins was talking to Haskins when he was addressing the referees. 

I understand wanting an edge, family relationships, and all of that…but at the end of the night, it’s a game. 

For the record, I like Wilkins and respect GC, but if that’s true then that is Bush league. 

Well let me ask you this. Their is film all over the internet for every team that I even watch. Why would any coach in this day have to ask a coach for film?? There is film all over the place. And for the record I like Haskins a lot as well. Talked to him last night after the game a while and congratulated his team.

Edited by pioneer42

7 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Well let me ask you this. Their is film all over the internet for every team that I even watch. Why would any coach in this day have to ask a coach for film?? There is film all over the place. And for the record I like Haskins a lot as well. Talked to him last night after the game a while and congratulated his team.

I’m just saying what was said from multiple sources. It doesn’t really matter to me, but from a coaching standpoint most would believe that to be a big slight. But I think if you have a common opponent, it’s always customary to exchange your team’s film so you can see the team you’re prepping for. And I can see the point of why that would cause tension. Mckenzie did receive WV’s & GC’s game, and WV should’ve received GC’s and McKenzie’s matchup. 
It’s all water under the bridge, but future exchanges may be limited as well. So let’s hope no one gets upset, when it’s turned around. 

7 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

I’m just saying what was said from multiple sources. It doesn’t really matter to me, but from a coaching standpoint most would believe that to be a big slight. But I think if you have a common opponent, it’s always customary to exchange your team’s film so you can see the team you’re prepping for. And I can see the point of why that would cause tension. Mckenzie did receive WV’s & GC’s game, and WV should’ve received GC’s and McKenzie’s matchup. 
It’s all water under the bridge, but future exchanges may be limited as well. So let’s hope no one gets upset, when it’s turned around. 

I remember they used to be swapped especially in football all the time. Don’t know how they do it now. Do think when you play big games like this that things get said during games from coaches to each other when emotions run high that both coaches probably deflect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

I don’t know if this is true or not.  But I have heard that there is no love lost between Wilkins and Haskins.   And I’ve heard there has been multiple situations kinda like this that has taken place between the two with Haskins having his share of them as well. Just gamesmanship from both imo.    There’s a reason GC/Westview didn’t play last year and it wasn’t because Wilkins didn’t want too….   I don’t think any of it has to be taken as negative towards either one.  Coaches don’t always have to be buddies.  

Edited by GlassHouseBound
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, GlassHouseBound said:

I don’t know if this is true or not.  But I have heard that there is no love lost between Wilkins and Haskins.   And I’ve heard there has been multiple situations kinda like this that has taken place between the two with Haskins having his share of them as well. Just gamesmanship from both imo.    There’s a reason GC/Westview didn’t play last year and it wasn’t because Wilkins didn’t want too….   I don’t think any of it has to be taken as negative towards either one.  Coaches don’t always have to be buddies.  

I have heard this about not just GC but other teams around the area. Westview not playing local quality opponents is not because the would be opponents didn't try. And i always thought film exchange was an option. I know in football the teams exchange but I don't think it's like that is basketball.

Film exchange.

Some coaches have an agreement that they will not share their game film. With them being father and son incsn see that being the case. Other than that, basketball film exchange is not like football. It's the coaches discretion if they want to exchange. I'd much rather go watch and then use film to review and get the detailed things.

WV scheduling or should I say not scheduling GC or whoever else, well, I'll just leave that one right there.

Just thought I'd chime in for a second. Signing off.