Heritage hires former UT Coach Joe Osovet

Spent some time watching several of Osovet's videos on his offense. His offense is high tempo (13 seconds, 80 snaps a game) using lots of RPOs out of a spread/pistol look. It's a good system that can put a lot of pressure on a defense. 

Should be interesting to see how he adapts it to the realities at Heritage. The lack of numbers resulting in many kids playing two ways will impact what he can do with tempo. He'll need to find and coach up a QB who can consistently make the reads to execute the three types of RPOs he uses. He'll also need a QB with enough arm strength to spread as wide as he'd like. The system simplifies things for the o-line which is great, but does puts a lot of responsibility on the QB. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how he tries to adapt the offense to make it work at Heritage. At all his other stops he had the advantage of recruiting kids to fit the system. Now he'll have to fit the system to what he has to work with. 

On 2/11/2022 at 6:24 PM, camppack said:

Good question. It would be great for BC if these schools played one another. With the change in leadership at WB, HHS and AHS the potential for this to happen has probably increased. If WB and HHS aspire to be championship quality programs there's no better way to see firsthand what it takes and measure where you are than playing Maryville and Alcoa. It also would be a boost for their gate receipts. 

I would like to chime in on WB playing Maryville and Alcoa.  This past year was the first time that I can remember not playing Maryville.  We have only played Alcoa twice since the early 2000s.  I understand everyone who thinks it is a good idea to play them...good gates...good competition...etc..and some say WB and HHS would only get better by playing the best.  Well....when  the program is where it needs to be then I agree.  But in the last decade taking lopsided losses just hoping not to get physically hurt didn't help at all.  This year once week 1 was out of the question for us (HHS got it) the only other option was week 10.  Our goal of course was to make the playoffs and had we made it there would have been a very high likelihood that we would have played MHS in the opening week of the playoffs or maybe week 2 if the season had went well.  Plus Derek had West wanting to play and we had HVA wanting games that week.  So both Shad and Derek agreed to take these 2 years off from regular season and re-assess next time around which we will.  

The bottom line is, in my opinion, it is in everyone's best interest to show up to a game and not know who is gonna win.  That is what makes sports fun.  That is why I like the NFL.  I know in high school that is hard to do, but this past year even though we had a horrific end of year record, 5 of the 9 losses were within one score and could have went either way.  Right now high school football has evolved into a lot of running clocks in the 2nd half....and I think that is unfortunate.  

Moving forward, playing Alcoa and Maryville is not out of the question for sure.  But it would be nice to be playing them for more than a gate.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, etcoach said:

I would like to chime in on WB playing Maryville and Alcoa.  This past year was the first time that I can remember not playing Maryville.  We have only played Alcoa twice since the early 2000s.  I understand everyone who thinks it is a good idea to play them...good gates...good competition...etc..and some say WB and HHS would only get better by playing the best.  Well....when  the program is where it needs to be then I agree.  But in the last decade taking lopsided losses just hoping not to get physically hurt didn't help at all.  This year once week 1 was out of the question for us (HHS got it) the only other option was week 10.  Our goal of course was to make the playoffs and had we made it there would have been a very high likelihood that we would have played MHS in the opening week of the playoffs or maybe week 2 if the season had went well.  Plus Derek had West wanting to play and we had HVA wanting games that week.  So both Shad and Derek agreed to take these 2 years off from regular season and re-assess next time around which we will.  

The bottom line is, in my opinion, it is in everyone's best interest to show up to a game and not know who is gonna win.  That is what makes sports fun.  That is why I like the NFL.  I know in high school that is hard to do, but this past year even though we had a horrific end of year record, 5 of the 9 losses were within one score and could have went either way.  Right now high school football has evolved into a lot of running clocks in the 2nd half....and I think that is unfortunate.  

Moving forward, playing Alcoa and Maryville is not out of the question for sure.  But it would be nice to be playing them for more than a gate.  Time will tell.

not to mention, the gate isn't what people think it is. when you play a team that is struggling to find a few wins, nobody is coming out to those games whether they are at the expected winning school or not. 

like you said, the best interest of both teams in addition to gate money and so on is the not knowing who is going to win. sadly it's like that in many places, not just in blount county. i have family/close friends in other states, SC, GA, etc and there are counties in situations very, very similar to here. hoping in the next couple of years this changes and schedules change as well. it would be to the benefit of everyone involved.

Edited by ftbllfan23

1 hour ago, ftbllfan23 said:

not to mention, the gate isn't what people think it is. when you play a team that is struggling to find a few wins, nobody is coming out to those games whether they are at the expected winning school or not. 

like you said, the best interest of both teams in addition to gate money and so on is the not knowing who is going to win. sadly it's like that in many places, not just in blount county. i have family/close friends in other states, SC, GA, etc and there are counties in situations very, very similar to here. hoping in the next couple of years this changes and schedules change as well. it would be to the benefit of everyone involved.

So Maryville wouldn't bring more fans to Wiliiam Blount than would pretty much any other school who plays there?   

Having worked a couple of Maryville at WB games I find that really hard to believe. 

32 minutes ago, HTV said:

So Maryville wouldn't bring more fans to Wiliiam Blount than would pretty much any other school who plays there?   

Having worked a couple of Maryville at WB games I find that really hard to believe. 

from what I've seen with my own eyes, and on social media, also from those who keep the gate - most fans stay home for those games. 

Edited by ftbllfan23

14 hours ago, ftbllfan23 said:

from what I've seen with my own eyes, and on social media, also from those who keep the gate - most fans stay home for those games. 

When I go see a Maryville and Heritage  or even a WB game I can tell that the crowd is bigger for sure when it is at their place. I've been to many other games in the past at both places and you can hand count the people in the stands from the press box on into the visitor side. I was very surprised that DB brought a crowd so small this past year to WB that I could of introduced myself to everyone of them and could of told each one by name to have a safe trip back home as they were going out the gates.

Edited by BarneySox2007

The Maryville gate is always big.  $15,000-$20,000 is the average.  Most other gates are around $8000-$12,000.  I would like to get where we play them for "more than a gate."  There is more to it than a few thousand dollars.  Like Barn said...it wasn't like this 15-20 years ago.  But it is now.  I am an administrator at the school and the AD so I am fine with harnessing the blame.  All we can do is try to get back to where we were when I first arrived in 1999.  The 2007 game was a $45,000 gate.  Insane atmosphere.  However, right now playing that game is not equal and is really not much fun for anyone.....except for a select few parents of MHS who then turn around and bash us.  They like it because it makes them feel good.  Big Joe at HHS is trying to get HHS to the same spot.  It's not easy for either school...but we will try.

2 hours ago, etcoach said:

The Maryville gate is always big.  $15,000-$20,000 is the average.  Most other gates are around $8000-$12,000.  I would like to get where we play them for "more than a gate."  There is more to it than a few thousand dollars.  Like Barn said...it wasn't like this 15-20 years ago.  But it is now.  I am an administrator at the school and the AD so I am fine with harnessing the blame.  All we can do is try to get back to where we were when I first arrived in 1999.  The 2007 game was a $45,000 gate.  Insane atmosphere.  However, right now playing that game is not equal and is really not much fun for anyone.....except for a select few parents of MHS who then turn around and bash us.  They like it because it makes them feel good.  Big Joe at HHS is trying to get HHS to the same spot.  It's not easy for either school...but we will try.

Good stiff there.  

And I completely understand that it's more than just about gate, but I don't have to tell you that the reality is that high school sports, and especially football, are not cheap to fund. Every dollar is important.  How guys like you are able to fundraise and be sure the bills are paid is very commendable.