Gordonsville!!!

MJMSBear

20 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I respond back very little to Miss Basketball threads after Heather Butler from Gibson County didn’t win it in 2009 or 2010 after going 70-1 in AA and 2 Gold Balls. She is the all time leading career scorer in the OVC so I can relate to the Gordonsville player. So you trying to say Jackson County lost the feeder schools or are they leaving before HS starts in open enrollment?? 

Jackson was getting players from Putnam and Macon Counties during their dynasty years. They are now getting players exclusively from Jackson County. Upperman and Cookeville are now controlling Putnam better. Recruiting is a major issue in The Upper Cumberland. But the Talent and tradition is usually so high that most schools keep their players. Clarkrange has gotten several players from Crossville in the past including a Ms Basketball.

Ms Basketball has a lot to do with  career accomplishments, being a Senior, and politics involved.  No one that votes sees everyone and there’s regional bias. I loved Cumberland Co but Dishman was not the best player in the state that year and voters looked at her gaudy stats (padded vs very light competition) and not actual play. Keely Carter at Macon didn’t even get nominated that year and she was much better.

This year the girl at Upperman is a finalist this year and she is not even the best player in her district. At least 2 players are much better but are not Seniors and don’t have the Stats. Emory Beragona at Cumberland is a better player than Dishman was. 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Khall555 said:

Jackson was getting players from Putnam and Macon Counties during their dynasty years. They are now getting players exclusively from Jackson County. Upperman and Cookeville are now controlling Putnam better. Recruiting is a major issue in The Upper Cumberland. But the Talent and tradition is usually so high that most schools keep their players. Clarkrange has gotten several players from Crossville in the past including a Ms Basketball.

Ms Basketball has a lot to do with  career accomplishments, being a Senior, and politics involved.  No one that votes sees everyone and there’s regional bias. I loved Cumberland Co but Dishman was not the best player in the state that year and voters looked at her gaudy stats (padded vs very light competition) and not actual play. Keely Carter at Macon didn’t even get nominated that year and she was much better.

This year the girl at Upperman is a finalist this year and she is not even the best player in her district. At least 2 players are much better but are not Seniors and don’t have the Stats. Emory Beragona at Cumberland is a better player than Dishman was. 

The Upper Cumberland has always been a fixture in the Glass House for sure. Gibson County is very fortunate to be well coached and survive the consolidation that happend in 2009-2010. We were loaded and had a loaded bench but took a pretty good hit in 2010 -2011 losing some quality players to South Gibson to rezoning. We didn’t make it to Region in 2012 and 2013, but had some decent talent. Wilkins came in 2013 and you could see the impact in year 1 even not making Region. We are very fortunate to have a coach that has more passion for winning than he does taking vacations and time off. South Gibson has had lots of students and talent for years but didn’t have a Gibson County culture. They have a booming real estate market and I see their stock being pretty high right now because they can probably get great talent to play basketball and make a great housing investment too. The great real estate market is bound to pay dividends with a highly driven coach. I do think Catie Embry is changing the culture there slowly but surely. Gibson County is in good shape for a while to be really competitive, but we understand how losing feeder schools and rezoning can effect your talent.

Edited by pioneer42

5 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

The Upper Cumberland has always been a fixture in the Glass House for sure. Gibson County is very fortunate to be well coached and survive the consolidation that happend in 2009-2010. We were loaded and had a loaded bench but took a pretty good hit in 2010 -2011 losing some quality players to South Gibson to rezoning. We didn’t make it to Region in 2012 and 2013, but had some decent talent. Wilkins came in 2013 and you could see the impact in year 1 even not making Region. We are very fortunate to have a coach that has more passion for winning than he does taking vacations and time off. South Gibson has had lots of students and talent for years but didn’t have a Gibson County culture. They have a booming real estate market and I see their stock being pretty high right now because they can probably get great talent to play basketball and make a great housing investment too. The great real estate market is bound to pay dividends with a highly driven coach. I do think Catie Embry is changing the culture there slowly but surely. Gibson County is in good shape for a while to be really competitive, but we understand how losing feeder schools and rezoning can effect your talent. 

It is not a rezoning issue here. I can understand that being a problem. There is only one High School in Jackson County and players were crossing county lines to play there. That is why no one has any sympathy for them losing now. 

3 minutes ago, Khall555 said:

It is not a rezoning issue here. I can understand that being a problem. There is only one High School in Jackson County and players were crossing county lines to play there. That is why no one has any sympathy for them losing now. 

Times change for sure. They had a great run. I talk to the Jackson County coach about every summer at the UT Martin camp. I don’t know the area like you do but there are some big time talented schools in your area. Area we live in there is not a lot of crossing county lines. People can’t afford it and it’s just too inconvenient. Lot of rural area in the GIbson County High School zoning. South Gibson is different with Jackson, TN 20 minutes down the road and closer to industry driven cities. Gibson County is just locals and legacy kids that Girls Basketball is the culture in the community. I know Macon County is very similar it seems. Been around Macon County at state several years and they love their girls basketball. Two programs that are similar in lots of ways. 

3 hours ago, Khall555 said:

Who cares about the zoning. Why not let the kids play where they want. 

4 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Times change for sure. They had a great run. I talk to the Jackson County coach about every summer at the UT Martin camp. I don’t know the area like you do but there are some big time talented schools in your area. Area we live in there is not a lot of crossing county lines. People can’t afford it and it’s just too inconvenient. Lot of rural area in the GIbson County High School zoning. South Gibson is different with Jackson, TN 20 minutes down the road and closer to industry driven cities. Gibson County is just locals and legacy kids that Girls Basketball is the culture in the community. I know Macon County is very similar it seems. Been around Macon County at state several years and they love their girls basketball. Two programs that are similar in lots of ways. 

People live closer to the county lines here I guess. RBS is only a few miles from Jackson County. It’s easy to drive your kid to school in another county. 

Of the 8 girls on Macon’s 2020 team 7 of them were legacy players meaning they had parents and grandparents that played sports for Macon County. Of the 5 Seniors on last year’s Championship team 4 we’re legacies. I am not saying what Jim Brown did was wrong, because Macon lost to CPA in 2013. Sometimes public schools have to do that to compete.