FORREST @EAGLEVILLE

GeneralForrest

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Salem said:

No way. Wow, that was unexpected and unfortunate. I thought they were winning by 60 since they had their way with 8 man Ezell Harding. Did they play with 8 or 11 against Richland?  A playoff spot is questionable now. Need to ship some Pedialyte down there, they seemed to be low on the electrolytes. 

maybe the Forrest Cornersville game is what they should record and drop on al quada. might be worse than drone strikes. and much less expensive. the big guy can pocket some more profit 

There are two ways you could look at Forrest's win last night (55-24 final over Eagleville) at The Rock. 

1:
Forrest was completely dominant. The freshman class is so good it reminds me of the 2016 team which had freshman Nick McClendon, Villazon, Lil Sweeney, McCown, and others at the same time as seniors Jones, Wild, Kritz, Russell, and others. 3 TDs were long impressive runs by freshman. This team could actually run the table if things go their way. They will have a chance to win every game. This could be a semis team, but they likely have to beat Riverside AT their place to do that. 

2:
Secondary was really out of position and took bad angles on both Eagleville's non-special teams' TDs. They were completely out schemed on all three 2 pt conversions. The first drive of the 2nd half Eagleville's offense did whatever it wanted. Run, pass, mixing it up, Forrest looked completely disoriented and disinterested. This team could lose to Moore, Cornersville, Marion, and East Robertson.  

It's likely a combination of these 2. Going 6-4 could win the region. I am less concerned about Cornersville, although I expect it to be a difficult game, than I am Moore. Marion and East Robertson are toss-ups. 

Brenton Burchell went down with a very scary injury that was eerily reminiscent of Micah almost 2 years ago. He seemed to be moving his arms but I don't have any other info.  Awful for that to happen to a kid and also he is a big part of Forrest's offense. Forrest scored 48 more points after this happened, however. 

Coach Eli? Couple of baffling "Let's try to force a passing game with a small freshman QB" when the run seemed to be working. Swift had over 200 yards rushing. 154 at half. He looked elite. Davis had a couple good runs. Liam Bell, who might've been gimpy a little,  wasn't really needed, as others were doing fine, but he did play. I hope they know what they are doing with him. He needs to be healthy and he seems to have been gimpy since last season.  His brother Eli looked terrific- a freshman- and had 2 long TD runs. Tremendous footwork in traffic. On the positive side, Coach Eli did seem to get Forrest in the end zone more often than not, and I agreed with decisions to kick for 3 when he was at that fork in the road. Forrest's kicker Grissom looked very strong as usual. 

As for the freshman QB? I'll say this, he showed no fear and really tried to go for it and make things happen, even on busted plays. He is going to be outstanding. He's already clearly the best choice for the gig. He won't hurt you and as he continues to adjust to the speed of HS football, he is another threat to run. He gets a B+ from me. If you take away the fact that Coach Eli put him in several less-than-ideal situations, you could easily make the argument for an A. 

All in all, Forrest had superior talent, but Eagleville is always fundamentally sound and well-coached. The before-mentioned 3rd quarter drive by Eagleville was a coaching clinic. Forrest DC could only shrug.  But then the EV HC threw a fit over a ticky-tack penalty and cost his team 15 yards as Forrest was driving with a 10-point lead in the second half. Really hung his kids out to dry there. 

Eagleville's QB had a nice arm and a couple times he heaved it as far as he could and EV's receivers went and got it. I'm not sure Moore's passing game will be better than this. I hope not. 

If anyone has info on Burchell, hopefully good news, please share. 

Edited by GeneralForrest

Game recap: First thing is the things more important than football. #9 broke both lower leg bones last night in an injury reminiscent of Joe Theisman for all you older guys, Gruesome and devastating injury. His football career has ended and he will be terribly missed.  Watching Burchell's  best friend, Micah McClendon, ride out on the field in his wheelchair to console him on the ground should bring a tear to everyone's eyes.

Eagleville's #44 had a similar gruesome arm break in the game. Looks like he snapped both lower arm bones. McLemore is Eagleville's best player and one of the top wrestlers in the state.  Both injuries happened early  in the 1st quarter last night and both plays looked routine on replay. Both players are 2A studs and there are no words for the loss and impact they would have had on this season.  Hopefully, both have a speedy, full recovery. 

4 hours ago, GeneralForrest said:

There are two ways you could look at Forrest's win last night (55-24 final over Eagleville) at The Rock. 

1:
Forrest was completely dominant. The freshman class is so good it reminds me of the 2016 team which had freshman Nick McClendon, Villazon, Lil Sweeney, McCown, and others at the same time as seniors Jones, Wild, Kritz, Russell, and others. 3 TDs were long impressive runs by freshman. This team could actually run the table if things go their way. They will have a chance to win every game. This could be a semis team, but they likely have to beat Riverside AT their place to do that. 

2:
Secondary was really out of position and took bad angles on both Eagleville's non-special teams' TDs. They were completely out schemed on all three 2 pt conversions. The first drive of the 2nd half Eagleville's offense did whatever it wanted. Run, pass, mixing it up, Forrest looked completely disoriented and disinterested. This team could lose to Moore, Cornersville, Marion, and East Robertson.  

Spot on assessment. In all honesty we should have scored 40 plus points last season in this game. Hopefully,  year 5 for our OC is the turning point. Next week will tell us if last night's game was a sign of things to come or an aberration.  55 points hasn't happened against a team not named Community or Loretto in years. 

Through scrimmages and jamborees the DC has found 2 defensive backs. We better find two more ASAP or we will lose a game we should have won. Our kickoff coverage team needs to be reevaluated and adjusted unless #4 kicks it into the endzone EVERY TIME.

Offensive line looked solid. Swift looked all state caliber.  Freshman QB was good. No bad decisions. Some 2A teams have one kid who looks out of place against JV competition.  We have four freshman (3, 5, 22, 25) who look like grown men playing against other JV players. #6 and 77 don't look 100% right now. Good news is we have depth. #1 looks a year older and stronger, #68 and 61 were unlockable at defensive line. Losing #9 for the season hurts! Hopefully, the injury bug leaves our zip code.