Forrest @ Cornersville

dawgswin

RECAP:

Workmanlike, mostly easy victory for Forrest.

This Rocket team has been compared to the 2016 team. In time it might be compared to the 2019 team. Last night for a few series, it looked like they might be the 2017 team, which was characterized by jumping in front of opponents then collapsing late;  BGA, Watertown, Columbia Academy and Fayetteville all saw themselves trailing Forrest early, only to come back and win that season.

Last night, Coach Eli, in the 2nd half, saw his Rockets winning 13-6, but struggling in their own territory. On 2nd and long, and 3rd and long, Coach Eli called some pretty conservative plays, and it occurred to me, he’s going to let his defense regain control of the game, even though they did give up the big play.  He did not want to force his young QB to flip the energy. He trusted his defense to reignite things. Forrest, minus the one big play, had always been in control. And Coach’s calculation was accurate. After a punt, his defense forced a turnover on Cornersville’s first play. A few plays later, it’s 20-6.

Coach Eli used his exceptional kicker a bunch, including on a 45 yard (approx.) make in the 2nd half. This Grissom kid is something else. Cash. Will likely be a major factor as the year goes on. Last night Grissom allowed his coach to mainly play it safe and settle for 3’s when applicable.

Ben Franklin has an Eddie George style. Long and big. But other than the one run he had to make it 13-6 (conversion was a busted play that failed), his own coach didn’t see him as a factor, and neither did Forrest. Giving a kid 10, or even 12 carries in this game is an admission that he’s NOT your horse. C’ville ran everything thru Woodard. And it did not work.

Swift was awesome. Again. Give me Swift and I will have a chance to beat you. Period. Davis and Liam Bell also both contributed and you can tell they want to win on every play. They are very openly emotive players. Forrest needs that energy.

Hill the QB: This kid wins me over more each week. On 3rd and forever in the second half, he pulled off an absolutely beautiful run for the first down. Footwork, vision, form. It was McCaffrey-esque. Even though Christian Mac isn’t a QB, the form is similar. Only one issue. He tried to get a little more after the first down marker, and fumbled (I said last week this kid has no fear, and is going to take risks), or this might’ve been a mercy rule.

Very next play was Franklin’s long run. 13-6 and the crazies are howling.

But back to Hill. He was crushed. You could see it. The crowd was loud. The C’ville players were getting hype. So Hill comes back and on another 3rd and long (Remember, Coach Eli is being very conservative with his offense, knowing he has Grissom to hit clean up from up to 45 yards), he rolled to his right and threw a perfect 20 yards ish throw down the sideline to Swift who was surrounded, and falling backwards. INSANE PLAY. Money. First down. 20-6 right after that.

It was the play of the season so far, and signified that this young QB is going to be an enormous part of the next 4 years for this team.   

At Loretto in 6 days…