Week 2: Dobyns-Bennett at Volunteer

DBKPT93

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

Totally feel your pain, Boone is always good for a lot of penalties per game, the only difference is that as the season progresses we generally start getting better at the yellow flags.   Our penalties usually are back-breakers, like the other team has it 4th and 1, we jump offsides and give them a free 1st down.

All that comes from poor coaching in the little leagues and middle school. Thats where the fundamentals are supposed to be taught. They've never figured that out in Kingsport, and I guess at Boone either. Kids pick up bad habits and their hard to break. You can actually bring in a kid at the high school level that's never played football and he'll do better learning the fundamentals than the kid that's been taught poorly at a younger age. The high school kid doesn't have to "un-learn" and "re-learn"

48 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

All that comes from poor coaching in the little leagues and middle school. Thats where the fundamentals are supposed to be taught. They've never figured that out in Kingsport, and I guess at Boone either. Kids pick up bad habits and their hard to break. You can actually bring in a kid at the high school level that's never played football and he'll do better learning the fundamentals than the kid that's been taught poorly at a younger age. The high school kid doesn't have to "un-learn" and "re-learn"

That is a good way of putting it.     I just for the life of me cannot grasp how you can be on defense against a 4th and 1 and not think the other team will try to draw you offsides.... you can hear the coaches screaming it from the sidelines, all the fans are screaming "WATCH THE BALL", or "DON"T JUMP EARLY".... and yet it is unfathomable how many times we still do it.  It has become a standing joke around Boone fans, you will hear somebody yell "Just move the sticks and give it to them".         Like I mentioned earlier, we do tend to get better as the year progresses and Boone does not get many personal fouls.    If I remember correctly DB gets quite a few PF's.          But as you so aptly stated, learning bad habits early just kills it in high school.

4 hours ago, DBKPT93 said:

Dead on here this week. Heard the QB for Volunteer broke his hand against WR. Anyone have a clue who is going to play QB now that he is out?

I'm thinking their "next up" is a Sophomore. This game will be over before it starts. Should never be on the schedule but I guess it is what it is. Nothing to gain for either team. Like every year for the past 20 I'm anxious to see if there's any improvement in the secondary. But looks like the first four teams couldn't throw one in the ocean anyway so there's that. 

• Like 1

Bit of trivia.... Volunteer won the first two games in this series, and last won in 1985...    And what happened in 1985?    Hmmmm, let's see...   The debut of Calvin & Hobbes, a popular comic strip in which the lines between fantasy and reality become a blurred vision of perception in the eyes of the beholder....    Could we have a repeat of 1985, is an upset brewing?!?

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

Bit of trivia.... Volunteer won the first two games in this series, and last won in 1985...    And what happened in 1985?    Hmmmm, let's see...   The debut of Calvin & Hobbes, a popular comic strip in which the lines between fantasy and reality become a blurred vision of perception in the eyes of the beholder....    Could we have a repeat of 1985, is an upset brewing?!?

Ummmmm.......No! :grin:

44 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Look for me at the WestRidge/Boone game tomorrow.    I'll be on the visitor side in a red Boone shirt and red hat, easy to pick out of the crowd.

Will do. I'll be in the Royal Blue/Grey shirt with a blue WR hat if you happen to see me as well. We should both be easy to single out in the crowd! 

Edited by 83SouthRebel

In potential news not related to this game... Hearing rumors that both Boone and Crockett's lights may not be ready to go at all this season.  Hearing it will be announced later today that Crockett will now be coming to Kingsport on September 9 instead of the other way around.

Hope this means the season ticket holders get their season seat for this game now.

2 minutes ago, TribalEmpire said:

In potential news not related to this game... Hearing rumors that both Boone and Crockett's lights may not be ready to go at all this season.  Hearing it will be announced later today that Crockett will now be coming to Kingsport on September 9 instead of the other way around.

Hope this means the season ticket holders get their season seat for this game now.

I cannot confirm but I have heard the same thing.    Seems like there are only 3 options for us and Crockett:

1.  Play Saturday day games
2.  Play Fri night at a neutral stadium
3.  Play Fri night at the other team's place

15 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

I cannot confirm but I have heard the same thing.    Seems like there are only 3 options for us and Crockett:

1.  Play Saturday day games
2.  Play Fri night at a neutral stadium
3.  Play Fri night at the other team's place

I am assuming all of the Boone home games will be Saturdays since I have been asked to "live tweet" all of Boone's home games now as well as D-B's.  I doubt I can do anymore of the Boone games though with maybe the exception of Cherokee next week.  I am probably going to go watch Carson-Newman games on Saturdays starting September 10.