Cookeville (1-1) @ Lebanon (2-0)

Alumn89

On 8/30/2022 at 12:46 PM, Speeding2Live said:

Lebanon wins this one pretty convincingly . With Maynard gone from Cookeville, Lebanon may keep their foot on the gas a little longer. I can't figure Cookeville out. What are they the 5th biggest public school in the state,  yet they seem to rarely compete in any sport. 

Cookeville is proof that enrollment doesn't mean what alot of people think it does

8 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Using that logic, Oakland has "the same cupcake walk" as well

8 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Using that logic, Oakland has "the same cupcake walk" as well

I’d put Lebanon, Blackman, Riverdale against anyone they’ll play in the early rounds. My point is the level of play is much different in favor of Maryville IMO.

and even the years where MJ were hanging with Oakland. 2 or 3 of those semi scenarios would’ve never happened if they played Oakland’s route to state. 

Edited by MJGOLDENBEARS

7 minutes ago, MJGOLDENBEARS said:

I’d put Lebanon, Blackman, Riverdale against anyone they’ll play in the early rounds. My point is the level of play is much different in favor of Maryville IMO.

and even the years where MJ were hanging with Oakland. 2 or 3 of those semi scenarios would’ve never happened if they played Oakland’s route to state. 

There is also no reason to think Maryville wouldnt be capable of elevating their play when they need to. Alcoa would beat any of those teams you mentioned, yet Maryville beats them more years than not. 

Level of play might be better, but not good enough to keep Oakland from playing in the semis every year for the last 8 seasons.

Lebanon has an outstanding team this year, quite possibly the best team they've ever had. I think they have the potential to be really good beyond this year because they have a great coaching staff and kids that buy into what they're selling.

Cookeville fans are going to need to be patient, rebuilding the program will take several years, but I think Hennigan will make them competitive again, given the chance 

• Like 1

Lebanon has waited a long time and had some extended stretches of awful football so the fan base is really excited about this team and with good reason. They are very talented and senior laden. Set a school record with 11 wins last year and will have a chance to equal or surpass that this year. The region is pretty weak so hopefully they don’t lose focus there. Toughest stretch in regular season will be back to back trips to MJ and Gallatin in October (bye week in between). 

Cookeville game was close last year, 21-14 I think and then the teams just went in completely opposite directions after that. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, firstandgoal said:

Lebanon has waited a long time and had some extended stretches of awful football so the fan base is really excited about this team and with good reason. They are very talented and senior laden. Set a school record with 11 wins last year and will have a chance to equal or surpass that this year. The region is pretty weak so hopefully they don’t lose focus there. Toughest stretch in regular season will be back to back trips to MJ and Gallatin in October (bye week in between). 

Cookeville game was close last year, 21-14 I think and then the teams just went in completely opposite directions after that. 

Not sure how last years team had such difficulty with Cookeville and Coffee County… not to mention losing to a bad Wilson Central team. Completely different team now.

I haven't seen either team play but it sure sounds like Lebanon and Oakland would be a "slobberknocker".     

Official Prediction: Cavs score a couple Tds early to keep it close but the blue devils athletes and depth start distancing themselves late in the 2nd quarter.    Lebanon 41  Chs 14

12 hours ago, MJGOLDENBEARS said:

Not sure how last years team had such difficulty with Cookeville and Coffee County… not to mention losing to a bad Wilson Central team. Completely different team now.

Yeah, I’d say Lebanon didn’t really start hitting their stride until about mid season and each of those games were in the first half of the year.

4 hours ago, Alumn89 said:

I haven't seen either team play but it sure sounds like Lebanon and Oakland would be a "slobberknocker".     

Doubtful I would think.   There's a huge gap between the good and great teams out there.   I don't doubt that Lebanon is good but are they great?  Not until they beat a great team.  I'm talking about the LA's, CPA, Maryville or maybe one of those big out of state power houses.  I'm not ready to claim Oakland is great this year but signs are certainly pointing that way after watching them against a very talented MS team last week.   

Unfortunately nothing will be learned about Oakland this week other than how the next year or two will be as they take on Stewart's Creek.  Lots of underclassmen will get some significant playing time.   I know that the freshman team is pretty dang good.  I left their game Monday night against Lavergne (I believe it was) before halftime as it was already 40 something to 0.