Covington @ Ripley week 5

CHARGERFAN

At the midway point of the 2022 season, we have a matchup of two Region 7-3A foes. They each come in at 3-1. The Chargers have to travel to Tiny Knee Stadium for this one. 

The Massey matchup tool picks Covington to win 34-13. The Sonny-Moore power rankings show Covington by 18. 

However, Ripley always seems to give the Chargers a better game than the stats might indicate. I suspect it’s because this is a long-standing rivalry that goes back to the days of the Big Ten Conference. Adding spice to the game is the fact that Covington, Ripley, and Dyersburg are all 1-0 in Region 7-3A. The winner of this game will have a decided advantage as the race for the Region championship continues.

54 minutes ago, RTRRudy1189 said:

Covington rolls in this game easily by as many as they want. From what I saw on the scoreboard last night Ripley beat north side 8 to 0 last night and didn't score till sometime in the 4th if I am correct. 

"Not so fast my friend!" Make no mistake about it, the Lightening Bolts from Tipton County will travel down Hwy 51 with a huge amount of momentum Friday Night riding a three game winning streak. After a Week 1 loss to a very good Munford squad, the Chargers seem to have the mistakes corrected and looking to making their traditional playoff run. 

The Tigers from "Rip-Town" is also looking at making another trip to the playoffs but looking at taking a different road to find the glamor and fame. "Mother Nature" gave her best version of a pre-game fireworks show as kickoff was delayed for several minutes and possibly had a little to do with the slow start by Ripley with only 8 points scored against the Indians. One thing for sure, the Tigers has seen the "Lightening" and hopefully not be caught with their eyes in the sky on Friday Night against the Chargers. 

Fans should arrive early as "Tiny Knee Stadium" should be rockin with anticipation of this heavyweight match-up as both teams know that the winner will punch their ticket to the playoffs but more importantly takes a huge step closer to a Region Championship and a #1 seed. 

As this high school football fan steps back and takes a breath, they're is an old saying that is very fitting for this match-up and it goes a little something like this..."To be the man, you've got to beat the man!"

I’m not sure that we will see a running clock vs. Ripley. In general, they play Covington tougher than that. The last three games were against teams who were struggling - Northside changed head coaches the week before the season kicked off, Millington shot themselves in the foot with lots of major penalties, and Brighton had just lost their starting QB to an injury the week before. 

Covington has followed the same recipe in the last three games. Build a lead to exceed 30 points by halftime, get the clock running, and sit the first string O and D soon after halftime. 

This is one of the oldest rivalries in the state. 

Byars-Hall and Ripley met 53 times from 1922 to 1969, Covington and Ripley have met 53 times since 1970, so this will be the 107th meeting between schools representing these two communities.  Covington (including Byars-Hall) leads the series 61-43-2. 

The Chargers and Tigers share one common opponent.  Covington defeated North Side 41-0 while Ripley defeated the Indians 8-0. 

For the season, Covington has scored 141 points for an average of 35.25 points per game while giving up 34 for an average of 8.5 ppg.  Ripley has scored 87 points for an average of 21.75 points per game while giving up 53 for an average of 13.25 ppg. 

Covington’s opponents have a total of 7 wins and 9 loses.  Ripley’s opponents have a total of 4 wins and 12 loses.

I know you can’t compare scores, and I know the game is not played on paper.  But based on these stats, I think Covington will win this game by at least 3 touchdowns. 

Edited by stacmot

Stacmot - Thanks for the data and the prediction. As they say, “from your mouth to God’s ear”.

I feel good about this matchup, but personally I never count Ripley out vs. the Chargers. I’ve seen too many games where the Ripley Tigers came out fired up and played way over their heads. It’s a cliche to say that “you can throw out the record books” but that’s sort of my attitude.