Blackman vs. Stewarts Creek

Pops17

2 minutes ago, mat73557 said:

I read somewhere that in High School, most kickoff returns leave the offense starting at the 38-42 yard line on average.  With really good play, maybe an average of the 35 yard line.  Now, onside kicks usually average about the 47 yard line.  So about 10 yards difference in the two kicks on average.  Sure, sometimes the kicking team does better, but when they have a bad play, you are giving up long runs or potential touchdowns.

Having the opportunity to get an extra possession and the resulting incredible momentum is often of greater value to some coaches than the 10-15 yards of field position...  especially when you dont have to worry about speedy running backs taking a deep kick to the house on you while you are playing many of your non-starters on special teams.

When the game is tight, it is still hard to watch.  LOL

And Blackmans kicker is very good btw!

You also have to figure in most teams know Blackman is going to run fast and be explosive on Offense. Most all of them have decided to play grind it out and burn up the clock  style games. Let's just say all is perfect and you kick it deep and stop them on the 20. 15-20 ygs difference. They are going to hold the ball another minute and thirty on that drive... Do that 4 times, you have now given them an additional 6 minutes to hold the ball and keep your offense off the field. If you recover 1 out of 4  you put yourself way ahead of the game. Always nerve racking to watch, but man look at Riverdale 2 or 3 onside kicks we recovered .... what would that game look likewithout it... Same for Gallatin... 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Blaze45 said:

You also have to figure in most teams know Blackman is going to run fast and be explosive on Offense. Most all of them have decided to play grind it out and burn up the clock  style games. Let's just say all is perfect and you kick it deep and stop them on the 20. 15-20 ygs difference. They are going to hold the ball another minute and thirty on that drive... Do that 4 times, you have now given them an additional 6 minutes to hold the ball and keep your offense off the field. If you recover 1 out of 4  you put yourself way ahead of the game. Always nerve racking to watch, but man look at Riverdale 2 or 3 onside kicks we recovered .... what would that game look likewithout it... Same for Gallatin... 

The bullet that hit the Riverdale kid in the helmet, bounced and the Blaze recovered was one for the books.

52 minutes ago, CougarDadx2 said:

The bullet that hit the Riverdale kid in the helmet, bounced and the Blaze recovered was one for the books.

lol... I literally wondered why we don't do that,,, and then we did. That hit the guy in the second row, Just imagine if it was the fist line on the return team. Either way It was pure brilliance. 

Edited by Blaze45

2 hours ago, mat73557 said:

I read somewhere that in High School, most kickoff returns leave the offense starting at the 38-42 yard line on average.  With really good play, maybe an average of the 35 yard line.  Now, onside kicks usually average about the 47 yard line.  So about 10 yards difference in the two kicks on average.  Sure, sometimes the kicking team does better, but when they have a bad play, you are giving up long runs or potential touchdowns.

Having the opportunity to get an extra possession and the resulting incredible momentum is often of greater value to some coaches than the 10-15 yards of field position...  especially when you dont have to worry about speedy running backs taking a deep kick to the house on you while you are playing many of your non-starters on special teams.

When the game is tight, it is still hard to watch.  LOL

And Blackmans kicker is very good btw!

So the kicker is very good?  I would assume if he could kick deep and get touchbacks then that would be the way to go. I bet the coaches would rather see a touchback, non return and ball spotted on the 20 to start every drive.

2 hours ago, arshad221 said:

I think he will mix it up honestly 

Pretty much what I assumed as well.   Read a few articles about the Pulaski Arkansas coach that does this just awhile ago. I  see what the reasoning is behind it but if you have a kicker that can get touchbacks then kick it deep and instead of your opponent starting on 47 yard line they start on the 20.  27-30 yards isn't insignificant.   Its a 1/3 of the field.    Anyone know any numbers on their success rate?

As a Pats fan, I hope they do it every time.   It'll be fun to watch.   

23 hours ago, ttitan27 said:

If I were a coach with a defense like Blackman's, I wouldn't want to give a short field to a team like Oakland.  Pats have already shown that they can score fast and often. Averaging 50 points a game with two high quality teams played and beat in Ravenwood and their MS State commit qb and one of the top tier programs in MS, Madison Ridgeland. Blaze has only played one quality opponent at this point and lost to them.  Oakland has a lot more athletes than any team you guys have faced this year.  I will admit that the Oakland defense is not at the level that I am accustomed to the last 7-8 years but they will still have a much better defense than anything the Blaze has encountered this year with possibly the exception of the Brentwood team.

My best guess is that it will be a very high scoring game with Oakland  coming out on top.  Should be a fun one to watch.

So you would prefer to give them the long field, so they can milk the clock and hammer you into oblivion? ok 

19 hours ago, ttitan27 said:

So the kicker is very good?  I would assume if he could kick deep and get touchbacks then that would be the way to go. I bet the coaches would rather see a touchback, non return and ball spotted on the 20 to start every drive.

It's the 25 now - rule change. Russell (Blackman kicker) is good. Has proven he can do a variety of things including the bullet down the middle and the bounce hop you need to get the recovery. He can kick it deep as well, I don't know how many touchback he has had, Blaze might be able to tell us.

26 minutes ago, CougarDadx2 said:

It's the 25 now - rule change. Russell (Blackman kicker) is good. Has proven he can do a variety of things including the bullet down the middle and the bounce hop you need to get the recovery. He can kick it deep as well, I don't know how many touchback he has had, Blaze might be able to tell us.

He has about an18.87% touch back ratio... that's part of the analytics (Basing that off last years kicks and this years kick combined, as there really wasn't enough deep balls in this season to get a good number. But if you round up and say 20% of his kicks get in the endzone, that leave a lot of returnable kickoffs. It also is only slightly better than the average of recovered onside kicks we are tracking. Last week skewed that average quite a bit. Before that we were pacing slightly above 25% recovered onside kicks.... as Booger would say....... Blaze45 just sayin 

2 minutes ago, Blaze45 said:

He has about an18.87% touch back ratio... that's part of the analytics (Basing that off last years kicks and this years kick combined, as there really wasn't enough deep balls in this season to get a good number. But if you round up and say 20% of his kicks get in the endzone, that leave a lot of returnable kickoffs. It also is only slightly better than the average of recovered onside kicks we are tracking. Last week skewed that average quite a bit. Before that we were pacing slightly above 25% recovered onside kicks.... as Booger would say....... Blaze45 just sayin 

Good teams focus on kickoff coverage. I can’t comprehend defending the onside kick every kick theory. Good coaches practice kickoff coverage and value that aspect of the game. This is not a video game lol

37 minutes ago, CougarDadx2 said:

Incorrect Info - in high school football, it still comes to the 20 on a touchback. - College is 25....