Richland travels to Collinwood

utpoolman

32 minutes ago, Salem said:

If you want to be top flight football program in 2022 you can't have key players running off to Gulf Shores for a week during the season. Too much prep work is needed to get ready for an opponent. If you want to be a 6-4 team trying to make the playoffs and hoping for one playoff game you can have that attitude. No one needs their bye week in week 2 though. A better job needs to go into that part. 

Alot of teams schedule fall break with the bye week so that doesn’t affect them

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Salem said:

If you want to be top flight football program in 2022 you can't have key players running off to Gulf Shores for a week during the season. Too much prep work is needed to get ready for an opponent. If you want to be a 6-4 team trying to make the playoffs and hoping for one playoff game you can have that attitude. No one needs their bye week in week 2 though. A better job needs to go into that part. 

Agree… the bye week could have saved the loss and probably some discord in the locker room.. We aren’t talking about freshman backups . Most of these were junior /senior standouts.. I don’t even disagree with holding kids out for missed practice .. Just the fact that the entire team was punished with a L because we can’t plan ahead enough to get a bye week when schools out for fall break

4 hours ago, utpoolman said:

Agree… the bye week could have saved the loss and probably some discord in the locker room.. We aren’t talking about freshman backups . Most of these were junior /senior standouts.. I don’t even disagree with holding kids out for missed practice .. Just the fact that the entire team was punished with a L because we can’t plan ahead enough to get a bye week when schools out for fall break

This represents a serious lack of program buy in! If coach doesn’t send a message by holding those out for skipping the game to go on vacation, he will never be successful. If administration doesn’t back him against the parents for doing so, they deserve what happens the rest of the season and subsequent years!

This is just bad!

17 hours ago, Pizzpatriot2 said:

This represents a serious lack of program buy in! If coach doesn’t send a message by holding those out for skipping the game to go on vacation, he will never be successful. If administration doesn’t back him against the parents for doing so, they deserve what happens the rest of the season and subsequent years!

This is just bad!

One of my all time favorite football movie quotes .. “attitude reflects leadership”..

wasn’t in the huddles or in behind any closed doors .. but when several kids are away for an amount of time yet end up playing differently upon returning that’s the issue.. even coaches were at odds during and afterward.. if there’s a rule it has to be a rule for all. Not lighter on a kid or two who you think can save your game

1 hour ago, utpoolman said:

One of my all time favorite football movie quotes .. “attitude reflects leadership”..

wasn’t in the huddles or in behind any closed doors .. but when several kids are away for an amount of time yet end up playing differently upon returning that’s the issue.. even coaches were at odds during and afterward.. if there’s a rule it has to be a rule for all. Not lighter on a kid or two who you think can save your game

Yeah, Richland has no identity. Started off a feel good story for them but I had a feeling they would taper off after Mt. Pleasant. 

Aren’t they good in basketball?

2 minutes ago, Pizzpatriot2 said:

Yeah, Richland has no identity. Started off a feel good story for them but I had a feeling they would taper off after Mt. Pleasant. 

Aren’t they good in basketball?

Lol.. yeah .. actually they are very competitive in every other sport.. basketball coach has been there 15 plus years , baseball coach has been there 20 plus.. 

I expect to see a big turn around this week. Without accountability we will never get to the level we need to be at. Yeah some parents will get a little butt hurt but it’s all good when you get a win. I expect nothing less than 100% commitment from the team. If not 100% commitment we will be a mediocre team or less. Richland is better than that and Coach Patterson is got us going in the right direction. Everyone wants to get to the next level but everyone doesn’t want to do the work that it takes to get there. I agree with the coaching staff 100% and if you don’t YOU are part of the problem!

44 minutes ago, Raider20 said:

I expect to see a big turn around this week. Without accountability we will never get to the level we need to be at. Yeah some parents will get a little butt hurt but it’s all good when you get a win. I expect nothing less than 100% commitment from the team. If not 100% commitment we will be a mediocre team or less. Richland is better than that and Coach Patterson is got us going in the right direction. Everyone wants to get to the next level but everyone doesn’t want to do the work that it takes to get there. I agree with the coaching staff 100% and if you don’t YOU are part of the problem!

Easy big fella.. I think you have a huge misconception about my comments. First , I don’t have kids playing in the program anymore ,but I have followed and supported every coach in school history.. ( honestly didn’t get to know a couple one and dones). This program is actually rich in football tradition, however most of that is from 1979 to around 1995 ish.. Those early coaches had very strict rules about practice and outside events other than football. Now I can speak on the current problem (as I see it). If it’s true , and it usually is .. that 4 boys went together and came back together but only 3 got to play (each in a different qtr) that’s my issue completely .,( aside from the fact that we shouldn’t have a bye in week 2 with a fall break scheduled) rules are an essential part of any sport the problem with today’s society is that rules are only good if they are the same for each and every player regardless of talent level.. I can recall a game against an undefeated Spring Hill (mid 90’s) that the coach sat the QB and the 2 best defenders for a non football related issue.. there were no outcries then because the rules had been broken.. and to my knowledge that rule was never broken again while said coach was there.. but had that coach played those 3 and sat 1 then the rule is only as good as the paper it’s written on. 

Because I bleed orange and black and have since the inception of the school I do support even if I don’t agree. I do hope this is a turn around kinda year and the raiders can walk the town with pride for a while,these kids deserve that with the amount of time and dedication it takes now. 

And I hope all the info is wrong because it would be nice to see a good and disciplined program again . Just can’t see that yet, especially when coaches are at each other during and after the game for decisions not game related..

5 hours ago, Raider20 said:

That ^^^ is the problem with society as a whole.

Am I correct in that the other reading is saying some (3-4) of the players left during the week and didn't practice but showed up for the game and the coach still let them play? I had read or thought they skipped the game to go on vacation. If they skipped practice, especially just to go on vacation, and the head football coach let them play, he needs to go because that kind of leadership will never work in team sports! He will never (ever) be allowed to let that live down as long as he coaches there.

This is about as bad or worse than the situation going on at Columbia!

4 hours ago, utpoolman said:

Easy big fella.. I think you have a huge misconception about my comments. First , I don’t have kids playing in the program anymore ,but I have followed and supported every coach in school history.. ( honestly didn’t get to know a couple one and dones). This program is actually rich in football tradition, however most of that is from 1979 to around 1995 ish.. Those early coaches had very strict rules about practice and outside events other than football. Now I can speak on the current problem (as I see it). If it’s true , and it usually is .. that 4 boys went together and came back together but only 3 got to play (each in a different qtr) that’s my issue completely .,( aside from the fact that we shouldn’t have a bye in week 2 with a fall break scheduled) rules are an essential part of any sport the problem with today’s society is that rules are only good if they are the same for each and every player regardless of talent level.. I can recall a game against an undefeated Spring Hill (mid 90’s) that the coach sat the QB and the 2 best defenders for a non football related issue.. there were no outcries then because the rules had been broken.. and to my knowledge that rule was never broken again while said coach was there.. but had that coach played those 3 and sat 1 then the rule is only as good as the paper it’s written on. 

Because I bleed orange and black and have since the inception of the school I do support even if I don’t agree. I do hope this is a turn around kinda year and the raiders can walk the town with pride for a while,these kids deserve that with the amount of time and dedication it takes now. 

And I hope all the info is wrong because it would be nice to see a good and disciplined program again . Just can’t see that yet, especially when coaches are at each other during and after the game for decisions not game related..

I guess I could look on the database website but when has Richland been good? Not asking sarcastically; my team has been there! I just remember when we were not very good and were everyone's homecoming and I think Richland was ours a couple of times. 

On 10/8/2022 at 10:00 AM, Salem said:

What if you want to be a 3-7 team with no playoffs?

1 hour ago, Pizzpatriot2 said:

That ^^^ is the problem with society as a whole.

Am I correct in that the other reading is saying some (3-4) of the players left during the week and didn't practice but showed up for the game and the coach still let them play? I had read or thought they skipped the game to go on vacation. If they skipped practice, especially just to go on vacation, and the head football coach let them play, he needs to go because that kind of leadership will never work in team sports! He will never (ever) be allowed to let that live down as long as he coaches there.

This is about as bad or worse than the situation going on at Columbia!

I guess I could look on the database website but when has Richland been good? Not asking sarcastically; my team has been there! I just remember when we were not very good and were everyone's homecoming and I think Richland was ours a couple of times. 

I’d have to do a little research my self but I’m fairly confident we’ve only had 3-4 winning seasons since the late 90’s.. prior to that (I’m talking ‘82-‘95 Richland was one of the top single A teams.(at least a couple playoff wins each year) but at that time Giles County didn’t have much coaching so several athletes would move schools to play.. Now that scenario changed early 2000’s and Giles was getting anybody that could play .. So 5-2 is exciting for Raider fans .. Me included.. 

This most recent escapade included a few players going on a “beach” trip during the week and missing practices during the week.. Now don’t get me wrong (as others have) I’m a firm believer in , if you don’t practice you don’t play.. I just think that ALL the ones missing should have to sit ..

7 minutes ago, utpoolman said:

I’d have to do a little research my self but I’m fairly confident we’ve only had 3-4 winning seasons since the late 90’s.. prior to that (I’m talking ‘82-‘95 Richland was one of the top single A teams.(at least a couple playoff wins each year) but at that time Giles County didn’t have much coaching so several athletes would move schools to play.. Now that scenario changed early 2000’s and Giles was getting anybody that could play .. So 5-2 is exciting for Raider fans .. Me included.. 

This most recent escapade included a few players going on a “beach” trip during the week and missing practices during the week.. Now don’t get me wrong (as others have) I’m a firm believer in , if you don’t practice you don’t play.. I just think that ALL the ones missing should have to sit ..

Dang! Was the coach “playing” favorites-pun intended?

If so, that’s bad because that tells you the coach isn’t in charge, at all.