Haywood @ Covington 10/21/22

CHARGERFAN

The Covington Chargers will welcome the visiting Haywood Tomcats to our new turf field this coming Friday. I’m sure both fan bases will be excited about this one. In the AP poll, Haywood is ranked #3 in 4A while Covington is ranked #3 in 3A. Haywood is the consensus best team in West Tennessee and is undefeated. Covington has run off 7 straight wins after losing their opener to Munford (now ranked #2 in the AP poll for 5A).

After Haywood cinched the 7-4A crown by defeating SGC, the two teams are now  the respective champs of Region 7-4A and Region 7-3A. That just adds a little more luster to this game. 

Let the discussion begin.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

Chargerfan, you're wish has been granted!  Haywood will come to Covington undefeated, and I know you and the Chargers would love nothing more than to avenge last year's loss and send the Cats back home with a loss.  These two teams have ruined each other's quest for an undefeated season more than once throughout the history of this rivalry.

After all of the excitement of last night's victory and activities, the Cats can't have a let down, and I don't think they will.  Stay focused Haywood.  

North Side is the only common opponent between the Tomcats and the Chargers.  Haywood defeated North Side 47-0 while Covington defeated the Indians 41-0.  Haywood defeated Covington 33-0 last year.  Go Tomcats!

Haywood     Covington  

AP #3 (Class 4A)     AP #3 (Class 3A)  
Record:  8-0   Record:  7-1
PF-PA: 388-90   PF-PA:  311-65 
Per Game: 48.5-11.25   Per Game:  38.9-8.5
Opponents' W-L 38-26   Opponents' W-L  29-36

Opponent Score   Opponent Score

Oakhaven W  58 - 6   Munford L    7 - 28
Crockett Co. W  40 - 9    at North Side W  41 -0
Lexington W  42 - 28   Millington W  44- 0
at Milan W  55 -14   at Brighton W  49 - 6
at Melrose W  49 - 16   at Ripley W  42 - 7
at North Side W  47 - 0   Dyersburg W  34 - 0
Lake Co. W  48 - 0   at Bolivar W  49 - 6
South Gibson W 49 -17   at Dyer Co. W 45 - 18
at Covington     Haywood  
at Obion Co.     Bolton  

This contest should be another highly emotional game with a big crowd and a lot of atmosphere.  It's going to be a tough one, and that's a good thing.  Both teams need games like this to prepare them for the playoffs.

Who knows?  The Covington-Haywood game might even get nominated for the Titans' game of the week.  If it does, both sides need to vote early and vote often!

Edited by stacmot

35 minutes ago, stacmot said:

This contest should be another highly emotional game with a big crowd and a lot of atmosphere.  It's going to be a tough one, and that's a good thing.  Both teams need games like this to prepare them for the playoffs.

Who knows?  The Covington-Haywood game might even get nominated for the Titan's game of the week.  If it does, both sides need to vote early and vote often!

WE never win those votes. No band moms to stay up all night and vote over and over lol. Crazy set up

5 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

So, Stacmot, what’s the series record between these schools. The HS database says 17-17-1, but I believe that was last year’s data. Isn’t Haywood up 18-17-1 now?

Haywood leads 18-17-1 now.  Of course Byars-Hall led the series prior to 1970.  (29-17-2).

Just now, stacmot said:

Haywood leads 18-17-1 now.  Of course Byars-Hall led the series prior to 1970.  (29-17-2).

That’s what I thought. So, to christen Covington’s new artificial turf, it’s only fitting that we win this year’s game to even the series at 18-18-1. 

But, having been to Brownsville to get a preview of this year’s Tomcat squad vs. Lake County, I am definitely worried about being able to do that.  Y’all don’t seem to have any weaknesses. I saw a couple of bad kickoffs by your kicker, but other than that, your guys looked tough in every facet of the game. I know y’all are better than Munford, and I was amazed at how they took care of business against the Chargers in our opening game.