Haywood @ Covington 10/21/22

CHARGERFAN

19 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Also from the Commercial Appeal, did you see their Tennessee Super 25 list? Read the list. The top 15 are all from Middle or East Tennessee. You have to get to #16 to find a West Tennessee team. Munford is tied for 16 and Haywood is 20. 

Stacmot, do you honestly think that there are 20 teams in this state better than Haywood? I don’t believe it. I see a lot of bias in this list.

I will say no.  I don't believe all of those teams are better than Haywood.  That said, I'll take the fifth as far as any further explanation or discussion is concerned.  Lol

2 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Also from the Commercial Appeal, did you see their Tennessee Super 25 list? Read the list. The top 15 are all from Middle or East Tennessee. You have to get to #16 to find a West Tennessee team. Munford is tied for 16 and Haywood is 20. 

Stacmot, do you honestly think that there are 20 teams in this state better than Haywood? I don’t believe it. I see a lot of bias in this list.

The commercial appeal is a joke

6 hours ago, stacmot said:

I will say no.  I don't believe all of those teams are better than Haywood.  That said, I'll take the fifth as far as any further explanation or discussion is concerned.  Lol

Very Smart decision to not further explain or discuss.  Looking at the teams above them they all are tough teams and I could make the argument that the teams ahead of them deserve to be, what i think hurts Haywood is them getting throttled in the Semi's last year so not going to get respect when it comes to overall teams in the state when they haven't won a title in a while and coming off that from a Middle, TN team who barely won against the East.  Being in the top 25 is respect in itself when it comes to all teams and classifications in the state.

• Like 1

The new Sonny-Moore Power Rankings are out. Let’s take a look at those.

First, he has Haywood ranked #6 in the state, which is a much more fair assessment of their team than the “Super 25” rating that has them 20th, in my humble opinion. Their power rating is 146.48.

Covington comes in at 42 in the state. Their rating is 129.79.

The difference in the two ratings is 17 points (rounded off), but give Covington 2 points for home field advantage ( I think that should be 3 points myself). So, the predicted point spread is Haywood by 14 or 15. 

Based on what we know right now, that could be reasonable. But, I could see this being anything from a blowout by Haywood, to a close hard-fought contest. As a Charger fan, I’m hoping for the latter.

2 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

The new Sonny-Moore Power Rankings are out. Let’s take a look at those.

First, he has Haywood ranked #6 in the state, which is a much more fair assessment of their team than the “Super 25” rating that has them 20th, in my humble opinion. Their power rating is 146.48.

Covington comes in at 42 in the state. Their rating is 129.79.

The difference in the two ratings is 17 points (rounded off), but give Covington 2 points for home field advantage ( I think that should be 3 points myself). So, the predicted point spread is Haywood by 14 or 15. 

Based on what we know right now, that could be reasonable. But, I could see this being anything from a blowout by Haywood, to a close hard-fought contest. As a Charger fan, I’m hoping for the latter.

Sonny Moore also has Lipscomb Academy at #8 in the State when they are a Top 25 team in the entire nation (Do you think Haywood is better than Lipscomb Academy?), Maryville at #14 and Alcoa at #23 when Maryville already was beaten by Alcoa by 2 TD's, Chatt Christian is #5 in his ranking but lost by 3TD's to #20 McCallie this season so I don't by into Sonny's Rating and this coming from someone who's team is ranked #4 in that pole. (I don't think we are the 4th best team in the entire state)

Edited by Swipes

The Jackson Sun has this info:

https://www.jacksonsun.com/story/sports/high-school/2022/10/19/predicting-west-tennessee-high-school-footballs-best-week-10-games/69548275007/

Haywood (8-0) at Covington (7-1)

When: 7 p.m., Friday

Covington poses the last real threat to Haywood from having an undefeated regular season. Since losing to Munford by 21 points to open the season, the Chargers have outscored their last seven opponents 304-37.

Haywood's been just as dominant winning its eight games by an average of 38.8 points. The Tomcats cruised to a 33-0 win in this matchup a last season.

Prediction: Haywood 35, Covington 24

Massey’s power ratings: Haywood #26, Covington #76. 
Massey’s prediction: Haywood 35, Covington 28.

Cal Preps’ power ratings: Haywood #24, Covington #76. 
Cal Preps’ prediction: Haywood 35, Covington 19.

With a few exceptions, the Tennessee High School Super 25 is pretty much in line with Massey and Cal Preps.

It looks as if most of the prognosticators are predicting Haywood by one to two touchdowns. I’ll take a one point win!

Go Tomcats!