Haywood @ Covington 10/21/22

CHARGERFAN

2 minutes ago, FOOTBALLROCKYTOP said:

In what scenario could that possibly happen? You already have 2 Shelby Co. teams in region 7 that could be moved to Region 8 (or is it just one). so I don’t see that happening to any others.  Please tell me I’m right? 

I agree, and I did say that I didn't think it would happen.  I don't remember where I saw it.  It might have come from another poster making projections on the T.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stacmot said:

I agree.  I've made numerous posts throughout my 18 year tenure on Coach T stating that Haywood and Covington need to play each other every year.  With reclassification and region assignments, it looks like Haywood will probably have to schedule 6 non-region games next cycle, so we should have several dates open for a possible Haywood-Covington game..

I don't think that will be the case for Covington.  I don't believe they will have as many non-region games to schedule, and two of those will have to be against county rivals Munford and Brighton. Region schedules come into play as well. 

Scheduling is just not as easy as some people think it is.

I hope the Cats and Chargers can schedule each other, but it might not work out.  For what it's worth, let's keep clamoring for it though!

I don't remember where, but I saw a projection that Covington could be placed in Region 8 with the Shelby County teams.  I don't think that will happen.  But if it does, look for Ripley to be added as another must play to Covington's non-region schedule.

I preferred the projection where there were 7 “rural” teams in Region 7-3A. That would mean 6 region games for the Chargers, plus Munford and Brighton as in-county rivals. 

There would still be room for Haywood in that scenario. I strongly doubt that Kirby will schedule Dyer County again after they cancelled last year’s game when it stormed.

6 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I preferred the projection where there were 7 “rural” teams in Region 7-3A. That would mean 6 region games for the Chargers, plus Munford and Brighton as in-county rivals. 

There would still be room for Haywood in that scenario. I strongly doubt that Kirby will schedule Dyer County again after they cancelled last year’s game when it stormed.

I prefer that projection as well.  I know there are a lot of things to consider, but you would think with 2 possible dates Haywood and Covington could work something out.

14 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Sounds like Covington needs to jump up to 4a to me!

This article has several comments related to this week's game. Thought you folks would be interested.

https://covingtonleader.com/sports/covington-takes-town-class-5a-dyer-county/

Covington takes town Class 5A Dyer County

By
Steve Holt
-
October 17, 2022

The 2022 CHS football campaign features five Class 3A, two Class 4A and three Class 5A opponents. To date, the Chargers have swept the 3A teams 4-0 with one to go and are 1-0 with 4A and one to go.

On Friday night, the state’s (3A) ranked Chargers took to the road for the last time, closing the 5A schedule with a 42-18 win at Dyer County. Covington (7-1) took the opening kickoff and moved crisply downfield in eight plays to take a 7-0 lead on the first of Jamarion Dowell’s four touchdown runs in the game, this one from three yards out.

The Choctaws (3-5) weren’t deterred. Eight plays covered 72 yards putting a TD on the board at 4:43 in the first period. The Charger special teams blocked the PAT and Dyer County never saw the lead.

For the night, DCHS completed 8 of 10 passes for 135 yards and scored 3 TDS with 124 rushing yards on 27 carries.

Covington responded with a 67-yard, siix-play drive capped by a 17-yard Dowell score. Starting at their 32, Dyer County took seven plays to cut the deficit to 14-6. The PAT was intercepted in the end zone. The Choctaws would not score again until the late fourth quarter with the game already decided.

“We had to get our legs back under us early,” Covington coach J.R. Kirby said. “Recent teams have not been as big and physical as Dyer County or as Haywood will be next week. We needed these two games to tune us up for the playoffs.”

The Chargers eclipsed 400 rushing yards for the first time this year, gaining 413 on 55 carries. Skylan Smith carried the load with a career night of 220 yards on 27 carries. He had two TDs negated by penalties.

“We had way too many penalties, 8 for 71.5 yards,” said Kirby. “I disagreed with two or three of them. We have work to do.”

A.C. Mason-Young got some time on the offensive side of the ball and took advantage, scoring on TD runs of 36 and 10 yards while gaining 65 yards on eight carries. Dowell added scoring runs of 18 and 25 yards in the second half. QB Braden Gover completed 4 of 9 pass attempts for 59 yards.

After weeks on the road, Covington comes home to face 4A Haywood, the third-ranked team in 4A, on Friday night.

“Haywood is well-coached, disciplined, talented, skilled, big and fast,” Kirby said. “We will have to play our best and go right at them. Getting around them side to side will be a challenge, but they are not unbeatable.”

Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

Steve Holt
Author: Steve Holt

I see that Covington is ranked #7 in the Commercial Appeal's Memphis-area football rankings:

7. Covington (7-1): Jamarion Dowell, Skylan Smith and the Covington defense have been on point this season. No game is bigger than the one this week.  Last week: No. 7. This week: vs. Haywood.

It is a big game, and we can't have a let down after last week's win over SGC.  Stay focused Tomcats.  The Chargers are coming after you, and they've got revenge in their eyes! 

Go Tomcats!

3 hours ago, stacmot said:

I see that Covington is ranked #7 in the Commercial Appeal's Memphis-area football rankings:

7. Covington (7-1): Jamarion Dowell, Skylan Smith and the Covington defense have been on point this season. No game is bigger than the one this week.  Last week: No. 7. This week: vs. Haywood.

It is a big game, and we can't have a let down after last week's win over SGC.  Stay focused Tomcats.  The Chargers are coming after you, and they've got revenge in their eyes! 

Go Tomcats!

Last week the Daily Memphian had Munford #1 and Covington #2 in their Power 15 ranking. I thought first of all that was unique to have two Tipton County teams ranked ahead of all those Memphis teams. Second, in this list, the Chargers were apparently not hurt by their season opening loss to Munford. Lausanne was third, and teams like Bartlett, MUS, etc. were farther down the list. 

This week’s Power 15 won’t be published until Thursday, but I’ll try to post that when it comes out.

3 hours ago, stacmot said:

Go Tomcats!

Also from the Commercial Appeal, did you see their Tennessee Super 25 list? Read the list. The top 15 are all from Middle or East Tennessee. You have to get to #16 to find a West Tennessee team. Munford is tied for 16 and Haywood is 20. 

Stacmot, do you honestly think that there are 20 teams in this state better than Haywood? I don’t believe it. I see a lot of bias in this list.

15 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Last week the Daily Memphian had Munford #1 and Covington #2 in their Power 15 ranking. I thought first of all that was unique to have two Tipton County teams ranked ahead of all those Memphis teams. Second, in this list, the Chargers were apparently not hurt by their season opening loss to Munford. Lausanne was third, and teams like Bartlett, MUS, etc. were farther down the list. 

This week’s Power 15 won’t be published until Thursday, but I’ll try to post that when it comes out.

Thanks Chargerfan.  I am interested in what the Daily Memphian will have to say about the Chargers and our game this Friday.