How to improve the playoffs

ReitzFan

2 hours ago, Indian said:

Without going into a ton of explanation, here's Quad 1 and Quad 2, Class 1A playoffs out of 5. This year's computer rankings, the latest enrollment  (To 400). 

Quad 1: 1-South Pittsburg 2-Coalfield 3-Polk County 4-Rockwood 5-Whitwell 6-Greenback 7-Lookout Valley 8-Oliver Springs 

Quad 2: 1-Fayetteville 2-Moore County 3-Clay County 4-Gordonsville 5-Wayne County 6-Eagleville 7-Trousdale County 8-Cornersville 

I think these first round matchups would be much more exciting for the most part. You also have the regular season games likely making much more money on average with less travel and more traditional/area rivalry. 

I like it, but unfortunately you and I don't have a voice in the matter. TSSAA has a long and well-known history of doing as little as possible to rectify problems, much less improving marginal practices like the playoff system or even policing their own policy...they also are well known for extorting finances from the member schools while offering nothing in return. Their "excuse" is that you have representation on the board of control, and even though those members come and go nothing seems to change.

11 hours ago, blazer1set said:

True, I meant more that the trophy was being able to be in a playoff game vs. a physical trophy

I knew what you meant. The term "participation trophy" is just a buzz phrase used by people who don't agree with something like this. The 1st round sacrificial lambs don't see getting crushed after a lengthy bus ride as any type of reward, nor does the TSSAA have those games as any type of reward for those teams. It's a way of making more money for them. Nothing more. 

9 hours ago, JDHoss said:

I knew what you meant. The term "participation trophy" is just a buzz phrase used by people who don't agree with something like this. The 1st round sacrificial lambs don't see getting crushed after a lengthy bus ride as any type of reward, nor does the TSSAA have those games as any type of reward for those teams. It's a way of making more money for them. Nothing more. 

forever and ever Amen!         

18 hours ago, JustinBuck said:

3 classes is the only answer.

The TSSAA isn't going to go back to 1992.  Getting it back to five classes may be a possibility or a long shot to 4 classes.  The will NEVER bring the privates back into it except maybe the BB and Kings Academy types with a multiplier. 

BTW, putting Alcoa into 1A isn't going to happen.  Even in the old A - AA -AAA they had been in AA since 1980.

Edited by rlh