Will tssaa ever stop being crooks?

fooseball95

1 hour ago, eers said:

CBG, what you’re telling me is the salaries are in line with what they should be. If you wanted to make the argument that their are too many assistant directors, you may be correct. I really don’t know.

CougarDad… I too have a little experience with owning businesses, equity positions, founding a nonprofit, executive management, and global capital markets… but this isn’t a measuring contest.

So, here goes. We’re going to give the top three raises. The Executive Director will now make $200k/yr. The two new created Sr. Assistant Director positions will now make $125k/yr (in line with MNPS HS principals). This is our new executive committee. Total salaries $450k, or roughly 10.7% of revenue, which happens to be under the percentage for their GA equivalent. Now we move the other Assistant Directors to “non-executive salaries” and we’re still at that 40% of revenue number, which is not out of line for a small business, and no one questions anything. Everyone is happy, TSSAA makes more money and their numbers are in line with GA, so everything must be ok now. See how easy it was to give three people more money and skew that same data to give the appearance we want. If you simply showed those numbers in your argument, they too would be “holistic”. Data is easy to skew to paint the narrative you want others to see. Yet here we are with nothing changed.

Now, I think there are ways to improve any organization. To do so you have to know where you really are and where you need to be. Is there a real issue, or someone just upset about a couple tour buses and dinner? Maybe the problem isn’t TSSAA making too much money. Maybe the problem is the overall experience to the casual fan causing fewer people to attend. Lower attendance means less money regardless of how it’s split. If there were 4000 people at the game in question this would have never even been a thread, as their cut would have been $10k (which was more than the busses and food). Part of that may fall on the venue at hand and part of it may be cost of tickets. Part of it may be size of school and part of it may be quality of opponent. It may be weather related and it may be cost of the hotdog at the concession stand. It may even be having to pay for parking. Maybe if tickets are $8 you get 2000 people to attend. Each teams share still pays for those tour buses and dinner. There are just too many variables at hand for the answer to be “TSSAA makes too much money”. If you look at part of it, you have to evaluate all of it. You can’t have a micro solution to a macro issue. 

I call 100% bull on the "this isn't a measuring contest" part. 

How do you address the wrestling in the cow palace that was brought up earlier?  That situation is a blatant disregard for the experience of the fans and athletes.  It's as if they want that sport to go away.  There are high school tournaments that are better ran, better facilities,  better experiences for fans and athletes than what TSSAA does.  

Girls wrestling is one of the fastest growing sports. TN could be a leader in the sport,  at least in the SE, but choose not to. 

2 hours ago, eers said:

While I agree 9 may be too many, I think 4 is too few. I would have to sit down and try to break that down and right now I don’t have the desire to do so. Lol

Remember that you only have 6.7 million people that live in Tennessee. The population of Metro Atlanta is 6.2 million.  If you had 8 regions per classification you would need 7-9 teams per region and you take the top 2 of each region to the playoffs.  Georgia has 9 classifications with a population base of 11 million people.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 8:07 PM, cbg said:

Remember that you only have 6.7 million people that live in Tennessee. The population of Metro Atlanta is 6.2 million.  If you had 8 regions per classification you would need 7-9 teams per region and you take the top 2 of each region to the playoffs.  Georgia has 9 classifications with a population base of 11 million people.

Exactly, no reason there should be any more than 3 top executives for TSSAA with our population and everyone else finds a new job! With technology they also would not have to all live in Nashville. My company which would dwarf TSSAA has an exec in Chattanooga, Memphis and Nashville. That’s 3 total and everything they pretty much can do, can be done on Skype or teams that we moved too. 

also it would be nice to go back to less divisions but that isn’t ever happening. So less teams would be a good thing as far as finances. My 4 years in football we always went to the playoffs and in 2 of those we really didn’t even break even. If not for a bunch of donations to the QB club we might not have even been able to make it to the games. I’m sure there are a few teams at especially the lower levels that are like that now. Just to be in a playoff game their program loses money and they are out here selling pieces of a field for cow Patty bingo. 

also is there a way to know how much extra benefits those executives for TSSAA get that aren’t even part of their salary. Perks like free room and board to every state finals for every sport, free car rentals, food and drink and what not. I’ve seen it said many times the kids who should be getting the best experiences with working hard and making these playoffs or even wrestling championships shouldn’t be getting the nice comfortable buses and instead can ride up to 5-6 hours on a regular bus to and from the game but yet nothing said on why the exec’s at TSSAA can get the nicest of hotel rooms, the most expensive of food and also the most expensive rental vehicles. When I go out for my job or even a conference I’m given a certain amount and if I don’t stay below that the rest is on me, I would bet TSSAA executives don’t have anything like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eers said:

I just wish you guys would get as upset about our government…

Oh I am, they all can F themselves also. But the TSSAA is just a government cloaked as a non for profit business. Still a bunch of bureaucracy and people enriching themselves off the very people they are supposed to be “serving.” So yeah our government sucks and just like with the government, TSSAA doesn’t give a crap about those they serve except for themselves! 

6 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

Oh I am, they all can F themselves also. But the TSSAA is just a government cloaked as a non for profit business. Still a bunch of bureaucracy and people enriching themselves off the very people they are supposed to be “serving.” So yeah our government sucks and just like with the government, TSSAA doesn’t give a crap about those they serve except for themselves! 

FYI a federal judge stated that the TSSAA was a state actor, basically an arm of the State of Tennessee.  I am pretty sure that TSSAA employees receive a pension and healthcare benefits from the State of Tennessee

Edited by cbg