Honest question about LA

Flea21

On 12/2/2022 at 10:31 AM, Navy21412 said:

love or hate LA, I don't think any team in TN history that I can recall has taken on that type of out of state competition and won...3 games against top out of state competition and 3 wins.  BA and MBA have some history beating good out of state teams, but not 3 in the same season.  So, yes they are on the short list.  

--BA '95-'96, undefeated in 5A pre-split for 2 years

--MBA '98 - '00  Ingle Martin, Hunter Hillenmeyer--and Ricky Bowers

--Ensworth '10-'13: Corn Elder and Orleans Darkwa were 2 future NFL players in the same backfield, with Teverres Jefferson at QB--and Ricky Bowers

But my favorite will always be '92 Gallatin.  That's the last team ever to run the table in 3A, 15-0, no public/private split.

Good post…thank you. That Ensworth team was a good one….would put last years Oakland team on the list as well.

My main point was, in my opinion, really only the last 10-15 years are comparable. 

The 80’s and 90’s BA teams were small by todays standards. The 88, 89 BA team had a 5’7 QB that didn’t throw….and I love me some Casey Alexander.  Just different eras.  Todays football is just better.

On 12/1/2022 at 9:26 PM, Flea21 said:

Could this be the best Tennessee football team of all time? I’m wearing  a Kevlar vest so bring it on…

But seriously…we all know that the last 10 years of football are much better than football in the 00’s or 90’s…so give me a better team….LA has 10-15 high d1 players…what other team had that?

Flea21....that CoC Academy you so jacked up was an extremley good FB team this year...and Booger thinkin highly highly likely LA beats every team that came thru Finley this past weekends 2022 Gold Ball contests...and maybe even routs all of'em....

..Flea21 bein happy, proud and dead exhausted from shakin Flea21 pom poms til ant nothin but plastic handle left......but Flea21 got to bail off it before that O2 level bottoms out and Flea21 chokes to death....

....Booger bettin Flea21 ant even old nuff to remember these 90's teams all these T'ers blowin up...and trust Booger...it aint no BA team these T'ers are jackin up

.....that LA team of Flea21 may.....just may crack the top 10.....Booger bettin top 15 is a safer bet

Booger just sayin:thumb:

Edited by Booger

26 minutes ago, Booger said:

Flea21....that CoC Academy you so jacked up was an extremley good FB team this year...and Booger thinkin highly highly likely LA beats every team that came thru Finley this past weekends 2022 Gold Ball contests...and maybe even routs all of'em....

..Flea21 bein happy, proud and dead exhausted from shakin Flea21 pom poms til ant nothin but plastic handle left......but Flea21 got to bail off it before that O2 level bottoms out and Flea21 chokes to death....

....Booger bettin Flea21 ant even old nuff to remember these 90's teams all these T'ers blowin up...and trust Booger...it aint no BA team these T'ers are jackin up

.....that LA team of Flea21 may.....just may crack the top 10.....Booger bettin top 15 is a safer bet

Booger just sayin:thumb:

Give me a better one Boog….state your case.  LA starts 22 different players with 13 different players having power 5 offers….not just D1…power 5.  The lines both ways average about 275.  Those teams in the 90s didn’t have that.

Beat the state champ from the highest classification in Alabama.  The scheme/coaching not half bad either.

7 minutes ago, Flea21 said:

Give me a better one Boog….state your case.  LA starts 22 different players with 13 different players having power 5 offers….not just D1…power 5.  The lines both ways average about 275.  Those teams in the 90s didn’t have that.

Beat the state champ from the highest classification in Alabama.  The scheme/coaching not half bad either.

Booger gonna start a brand new thread with a title that will draw more opinions from worthy unbiased knowledgable T'ers..

...and even sum of you bias T'ers

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flea21 said:

How many of these kids have been from other states? Honestly who can't win with that roster. Coaching is one thing , hand picking is another. Recruiting TN kids is one thing but heck you've had 20 plus top ranked kids come from all over the US. 

1 minute ago, DarkKnight4 said:

How many of these kids have been from other states? Honestly who can't win with that roster. Coaching is one thing , hand picking is another. Recruiting TN kids is one thing but heck you've had 20 plus top ranked kids come from all over the US. 

Let's be honest and say that Lipscomb Academy "IS NOT" a boarding school like Webb, McCallie, Saint Andrews or Baylor so the kids must live with their family in the Nashville area.  If kids from states other than Tennessee transferred into LA due to the head coach being Trent Dilfer what is the problem?  It would be just like when Coach Prime was coaching at the high school level in Texas.  Do people really not believe that people don't transfer into Westlake to play for Todd Dodge or into Southlake Carroll to play for Riley Dodge?  Folks it's really simple, families that have children with football talent want to play for big name coaches for the exposure.  It's not the coaches or schools' fault if families move into the school's zone.  Are people naive enough to believe that in the 70's & 80's families didn't move into or use fake addresses so that their sons could play baseball for Mel Brown at McGavock High School in Nashville.  Did families not move to Maryville or Alcoa to play football for GQ or GR?  

1 hour ago, DarkKnight4 said:

2…QB and the 3rd best WR

but that wasn’t the question….name a better HS Tenn team.

1 hour ago, cbg said:

Let's be honest and say that Lipscomb Academy "IS NOT" a boarding school like Webb, McCallie, Saint Andrews or Baylor so the kids must live with their family in the Nashville area.  If kids from states other than Tennessee transferred into LA due to the head coach being Trent Dilfer what is the problem?  It would be just like when Coach Prime was coaching at the high school level in Texas.  Do people really not believe that people don't transfer into Westlake to play for Todd Dodge or into Southlake Carroll to play for Riley Dodge?  Folks it's really simple, families that have children with football talent want to play for big name coaches for the exposure.  It's not the coaches or schools' fault if families move into the school's zone.  Are people naive enough to believe that in the 70's & 80's families didn't move into or use fake addresses so that their sons could play baseball for Mel Brown at McGavock High School in Nashville.  Did families not move to Maryville or Alcoa to play football for GQ or GR?  

That’s true but the reality is the vast majority of the LA players are local…not sure why some folks refuse to believe it.

hank brown-qb illinois

chauncy Goodin-G-his choice- local

nate spillman-wr-TN commit-local

edwin spillman-lb-his choice-local

bryan longwell-lb-power 5-local

cj jimcoliy-cb-his choice-local

branden sollis-t-power 5-local

dillan lorrick-wr-d1-North Carolina

junior sherrill-wr-vandy-local

jon Adair -c-power 5-local

Kaleb Beasley-cb-tenn-local

several more underclassmen…all local

16 hours ago, Flea21 said:

That’s true but the reality is the vast majority of the LA players are local…not sure why some folks refuse to believe it.

hank brown-qb illinois

My main issue with some of these keyboard warriors is that they are throwing stones at LA and they don’t have a clue as to what is happening all over the country or even in their own backyard.  Back in the early 70’s up until this very moment people have been using someone else’s address so that kids were able to attend a school in another county.  There are some counties in Tennessee that now charge a nominal fee ($less than 1200.00) for kids to attend and participate in athletics if they live in another county.  There are teams that are on the border of Tennessee that have kids attending that live in another state.  There was one state that bordered Tennessee where girls basketball was a fall sport.  The girls would play basketball in that state and then transfer to the Tennessee school after Christmas and play basketball in Tennessee.  There are numerous kids that presently live in Nashville but attend schools in Wilson County, Sumner County or Rutherford County.  You have all kinds of kids that live in Knox County and they attend school in Blount or Anderson Counties.  The point is that when a specific school get’s really good at whatever sport people will do whatever they can to get their child into that school.  This is not just a private school issue as many of the public schools are just as guilty.  I personally know of a former member of the TSSAA Board of Control (he was married to my aunt) that was a great high school basketball player (he played in college) that was recruited to another school his senior season with the enticement of providing his father with a good job in that county.  I personally know of grade fixing and grades being changed by principals at various schools to keep kids eligible.  What about kids that get arrested one morning but they are miraculously let out of jail by the county sheriff in time to play in the state semi-final football games on a Friday evening.   Many times those that are screaming the loudest with regards to recruiting are the ones that are doing the most illegal recruiting.  When you have been around as long as I have you not only know the stories but often times you know the back stories and have enough information to prove them to be true.  The real facts are that most ever school in Tennessee is doing something illegal.  Often times the administrators don’t have a clue or they turn a blind eye to the situation and when they get caught, they will swear on a stack of King James Bibles that they don’t know anything about the situation.  The TSSAA and its administration and Board of Control are clueless and lazy which is a bad combination.  What is true about the TSSAA is that they don’t have the money to be chasing down every reported recruiting violation.  It cost money to investigate violations and attorney fees are not free so once again they ignore most things unless they are so egregious that they are afraid the media will take the story and present it to the public.  Let’s not forget that if the TSSAA staff or Board of Control members go after the wrong person with political ties in the State of Tennessee those individuals could make life very difficult for them so it’s much easier to try and ignore most everything. 

Edited by cbg

On 12/4/2022 at 6:52 PM, Flea21 said:

hank brown-qb illinois

Truly just curious, but do you know what middle school those local boys come from?