See, I told you so.... (2023 edition)

blazer1set

22 hours ago, oridgecat said:

They hire a new coach.  And I can say, See I told you so!  

My guess is that they will be good year in year out, but not great.  I see the next couple years  like this:  5A football in this area is bad.  There are three teams year in and year out that stand above the rest and two of those will play in the semis with a chance to go to state.  Those three are West, Powell, and OR.  Should be the same next year.  Two of those teams will play each other twice.  Once regular and once playoffs, the winner of the semi plays for state.  It's hard for me to see that going any other direction.  Central could be in that mix soon with those huge freshmen classes coming in, then again they might be 6A by the time those freshmen are jrs. and srs. 

Agreed, cat. Powell will be fine. They may not experience their current level of success on the field, but Powell has always had a very competitive program, outside of the year that [he who shall not be named] played his fiddle while Rome burned. And the subsequent years when Rodney Ellison tried to pick up the pieces.

5A is definitely going to take a step back in this part of the state next year, although I would argue from top to bottom it isn't all bad. Just look at Region 3 this year. LC wasn't the doormat that they've typically been. They were a much improved team. And while Clinton didn't meet expectations, they aren't the Clinton of 4 or 5 years ago. Same with Heritage in Region 2. Of course the flip side is that teams like Karns and Halls will likely take a big step back.

What's missing are the truly dominant teams at the top, the one or two that are just light-years ahead of everyone else. I don't think you'll see that in either region next year, but that should make for a very entertaining season overall.

11 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Agreed, cat. Powell will be fine. They may not experience their current level of success on the field, but Powell has always had a very competitive program, outside of the year that [he who shall not be named] played his fiddle while Rome burned. And the subsequent years when Rodney Ellison tried to pick up the pieces.

5A is definitely going to take a step back in this part of the state next year, although I would argue from top to bottom it isn't all bad. Just look at Region 3 this year. LC wasn't the doormat that they've typically been. They were a much improved team. And while Clinton didn't meet expectations, they aren't the Clinton of 4 or 5 years ago. Same with Heritage in Region 2. Of course the flip side is that teams like Karns and Halls will likely take a big step back.

What's missing are the truly dominant teams at the top, the one or two that are just light-years ahead of everyone else. I don't think you'll see that in either region next year, but that should make for a very entertaining season overall.

I don't see 5a falling off that much.  West and Powell have been 10 plus wins for what five years or so?  Unless they have a coaching change, I don't think they'll go the way of Central.  the 6a teams will stay about the same I'm afraid.  Pretty good, but not great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ttown58 said:

I think everybody knows it is a weak region, that point has been repeated over and over by another poster.  Tullahoma was placed into this region by the TSSAA.   Just because that new region is weak in 2022, doesn't mean  it will be in 2023.

As for Tullahoma, they lose only 8 seniors, they should be better, But I don't know if they will be good enough to win the region. The talent level at Tullahoma has dropped off from the past years of 2018-2021.  Another question did Tullahoma hire the right coach? The school administration has confidence that Coach Coy Sisk will  do good at Tullahoma.   I guess we will find out in 2023, if they're correct.

Another thing about this new region, whoever makes the playoffs, will probably make a quick exit. They would have to face Page, Nolensville, and  Centennial.

I realize the region being weak has been beaten like a dead horse in other threads. I personally like the region opponents for many reasons. I coached with a gentleman that once said, "the schedule is what it is. All we can go do is win those". It's a very obvious quote but still accurate. I don't necessarily believe that Sisk is the wrong hire but some of those surrounding him may not be the best supporting cast. You do make a very valid point come playoff time. The bracket doesn't set up well for this region even for the region champ. 

We will have a new Mr Football next year. Anyone to keep an eye out for next fall?

Region 1

Will Daniel Boone go back to back in the region or will newcomer Sevier County challenge db. 

Region 2 West and Powell will go head to head in this region. Can Knox Central be a dark horse in this region 

Region 3 It’s Oak Ridge than everyone else. Should be a fun Region to watch for 2nd on back. 

Region 4 Can McMinn go back to back? Can Rhea rebound? East Hamilton joins the region and adds some nice depth 

Region 5 This new Region looks entertaining 

Region 6 Nolensville and Page look like they will be the contenders 

Region 7 is going to be tough with Beech dropping down after the 6A title game appearance. Add in Hendersonville with Henry, Portland, and Springfield someone really good might be left out of the playoffs. 

Region 8- Will Mumford win the region again but be able to make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs? 

Way too early top 10

1. Knox West 

2. Beech 

3. Powell

4. Page 

5. Henry Co.

6. Nolensville 

7. Springfield 

8. Daniel Boone 

9. Oak Ridge 

10. Centennial 

Honorable mention

East Hamilton, McMinn Co, Knox Central, Franklin Co Mumford 

In all honesty I hadn’t looked yet at what everyone is losing senior wise so it is subject to change. 

22 minutes ago, Rhea Co. said:

We will have a new Mr Football next year. Anyone to keep an eye out for next fall?

Region 1

Will Daniel Boone go back to back in the region or will newcomer Sevier County challenge db. 

Boone can win Region 1, not saying they will but should have the tools.     However R1/5A is going to go 0-4 in the 1st round... Maybe 1-3 but none of these teams will get out the 2nd round.         With R2 having West, Central and Powell there is just no way anyone in R1 is getting past those 3.