NIL in D2

theawesomebro

Think of this. Kid applies for financial aid. Need analysis comes back to show the kid qualifies for 50% aid. In the past the school would have to figure out some way to make up the remaining 50% or be in violation of giving the kid too much aid.  Note - there is no legal way to handle this. 

Now the kid can do a commercial for a donor’s business and the school is in the clear. 50% scholarship from the school plus NIL deal. The rich just got richer and the D2 schools that have not figured out the financial aid game are way behind. 

• Like 1

The divide between the most affluent schools and the inner city schools just got much wider.  There was a vote within the TSSAA schools where it passed overwhelmingly that if a student athlete transfers into a boarding school they must sit out one season.  Let’s see if the TSSAA Board of Control passes this legislation.

Edited by cbg

On 12/8/2022 at 7:05 PM, cbg said:

The divide between the most affluent schools and the inner city schools just got much wider.  There was a vote within the TSSAA schools where it passed overwhelmingly that if a student athlete transfers into a boarding school they must sit out one season.  Let’s see if the TSSAA Board of Control passes this legislation.

Kids should be able to transfer one time without any restrictions just like college. 

14 minutes ago, Playerscoach said:

Kids should be able to transfer one time without any restrictions just like college. 

The TSSAA Board of Control voted down the legislation that member schools overwhelmingly passed.  For the time being it will be business as usual.  I have no problem with kids being granted one free transfer.  What I have issues with are kids that are recruited from all over the USA (actually world) to attend a boarding school in Tennessee and they immediately become eligible.  This rule will immediately change when a power 5 QB and WR are recruited away to a boarding school to a school that has someone on the Board of Control.  Just like the rules were changed and private school were placed into D2 after Riverdale and Gary Rankin were beat by Carolton Flatt and Brentwood Academy.  

Edited by cbg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JRB said:

With all the NIL, transfers and transfer portal discussions, today we get maybe the most purest form of football with the Army-Navy game.  Go Navy, beat Army! 

I totally agree that the Army vs Navy game is a very pure form of football.  However, each and ever midshipman and cadet have been and are currently being paid a salary along with receiving a world class education.  With that being said everyone knows that very few kids have a combination of excellent academics, discipline and perseverance to graduate from one of the military academies.  Now the real question is will the military allow the athletes to accept NIL contracts?