Way too early 1A predictions

Summit22

After this weeks games, the 2nd team coming out of districts 3 & 4 is wide open. Oakdale and Greenback played close with both aces on the mound. Wartburg played close with Coalfield for 5 innings with their ace on the mound which was a good sign for Wartburg since it was this kids first lengthy start since coming back from injury. Should be fun district tournaments coming up in just a few weeks.

On 4/20/2023 at 9:24 AM, Summit22 said:

After this weeks games, the 2nd team coming out of districts 3 & 4 is wide open. Oakdale and Greenback played close with both aces on the mound. Wartburg played close with Coalfield for 5 innings with their ace on the mound which was a good sign for Wartburg since it was this kids first lengthy start since coming back from injury. Should be fun district tournaments coming up in just a few weeks.

These districts are way down compared to where they were a few years back, but with everyone down a bit, it makes for competitive games. I would guess it’s going to be Coalfield and Oneida/Greenback advancing, but no one in the region looks unbeatable. 

Side note - Does anyone know what has happened to Rockwood? They were a perennial 1A power from essentially when they dropped to single A in 98 for about 15 years up & won 20 games as recently as 2019. Unless they get really hot to close this year out, these past 2 years will be their lowest win totals in at least 35 years. 

On 4/22/2023 at 9:54 AM, MSUBac2001 said:

These districts are way down compared to where they were a few years back, but with everyone down a bit, it makes for competitive games. I would guess it’s going to be Coalfield and Oneida/Greenback advancing, but no one in the region looks unbeatable. 

Side note - Does anyone know what has happened to Rockwood? They were a perennial 1A power from essentially when they dropped to single A in 98 for about 15 years up & won 20 games as recently as 2019. Unless they get really hot to close this year out, these past 2 years will be their lowest win totals in at least 35 years. 

I would agree with Coalfield definitely being one of the teams coming out of this region. Greenback right now has to be the second favorite. I’m not sure about Oneida making it out of their district simply because of their pitching. When their 1 guy isn’t on the mound their pitching really falls off and they tend to walk a lot of people but their offense will keep them in most games. 

I’m not sure what has happened to Rockwood. I know their coach left after the 2019 year (he was there in 2020 but nobody had a season) they have really fallen off since the 2019 year. They traditionally have had baseball talent but there isn’t a whole lot of talent down there right now.

Best time of the year starts today for some districts. District 3A play in game is today between Wartburg and Sunbright and the winner will get to play Coalfield on Wednesday with the other game on Wednesday being Oneida vs Oliver Springs. Wartburg should win tonight if they take care of business and advance to play Coalfield. The other game will be interesting on Wednesday. Oneida and O.S. split their regular season games with both teams winning the game with their ace on the mound. It will be interesting to see if those teams will use their ace to get into the winners bracket game or if they will both throw off to save their ace for the loser bracket game. As for District 4A, the play in game is between Harriman and Rockwood and the winner of that game gets to play 1 see Greenback and the other game is between Oakdale and Midway. Greenback is the favorite to win that district, but it will be a toss up as to the other team coming out of that district will be. I would have to guess it will be Oakdale, but Midway is playing pretty well right now and they have the pitching to make it out of the district tournament.

ER has Clay County, Jo Byrns has Gordonsville.

Very well could see an ER v JB region championship, looking forward to this one. 

ER beat Jo Byrns in back-to-back games to win the championship, 15-3 and 17-7 I believe. If ER gets their bats rolling and can play fundamental baseball, they will be a tough out.  Heard from one of the parents this is possibly the best hitting team Coach Derek Wix has ever had they just have to field the ball.

4 hours ago, UConnAlum94 said:

ER has Clay County, Jo Byrns has Gordonsville.

Very well could see an ER v JB region championship, looking forward to this one. 

ER beat Jo Byrns in back-to-back games to win the championship, 15-3 and 17-7 I believe. If ER gets their bats rolling and can play fundamental baseball, they will be a tough out.  Heard from one of the parents this is possibly the best hitting team Coach Derek Wix has ever had they just have to field the ball.

Not a usual ER team that’s gonna trot out a 95mph pitcher and win 5-0. Really fun team to watch though, can hit 1-9.

Just now, Chiefbigfoot said:

Not a usual ER team that’s gonna trot out a 95mph pitcher and win 5-0. Really fun team to watch though, can hit 1-9.

And still a very young team at that. Only 2 or 3 seniors in the lineup and 1 Junior. Lead off hitter is an 8th grader. With the young talent they have they should win a ring in the next 3 years.

Coalfield vs Oakdale and Greenback vs Oneida are the matchups to start Region 2 play. Coalfield is the heavy favorite to win the region and I would expect Greenback or Oakdale to make it out of the tournament as they both have more pitching than Oneida, but Oneida hits the ball really well with their first 5 guys in the lineup, so it should be a fun tournament.

On 5/9/2023 at 10:45 AM, Summit22 said:

Coalfield vs Oakdale and Greenback vs Oneida are the matchups to start Region 2 play. Coalfield is the heavy favorite to win the region and I would expect Greenback or Oakdale to make it out of the tournament as they both have more pitching than Oneida, but Oneida hits the ball really well with their first 5 guys in the lineup, so it should be a fun tournament.

Coalfield and Greenback punched their tickets for sectionals today. Coalfield winning the region beating Oakdale 4-3 yesterday beating Greenback 6-0 today. Greenback beat Oneida 10-0 yesterday and then beat Oakdale 8-7 today with a walk off in the 7th inning after being down 7-0 going into the 4th inning. Both teams have a shot to make it to state, but Greenback will have to get past University High.

10 minutes ago, Summit22 said:

Coalfield and Greenback punched their tickets for sectionals today. Coalfield winning the region beating Oakdale 4-3 yesterday beating Greenback 6-0 today. Greenback beat Oneida 10-0 yesterday and then beat Oakdale 8-7 today with a walk off in the 7th inning after being down 7-0 going into the 4th inning. Both teams have a shot to make it to state, but Greenback will have to get past University High.

How do you see the University High and Greenback game going? Assuming University makes it out of the region.