TSSAA Officiating

notyourmomsmom

4 minutes ago, notyourmomsmom said:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YH3CVDX

Please take a few minutes to answer this survey to work toward beginning the process of having competent officials across the state of TN.

Also feel free to leave any other suggestions in the comments.

Competent officials? 

some of those questions aren’t just ill informed they’re completely off base and inappropriate . 

like it’s always said, if you don’t like the way it’s done put on the stripes and go do it yourself. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, WrestlingGod said:

Competent officials? 

some of those questions aren’t just ill informed they’re completely off base and inappropriate . 

like it’s always said, if you don’t like the way it’s done put on the stripes and go do it yourself. 

This is to get a rough idea and feelers on officiating, not anything concrete.  Solely to set in motion improvement.  Please only leave constructive suggestions on how to better this state, not belittling comments that do not facilitate open conversation.

11 minutes ago, notyourmomsmom said:

This is to get a rough idea and feelers on officiating, not anything concrete.  Solely to set in motion improvement.  Please only leave constructive suggestions on how to better this state, not belittling comments that do not facilitate open conversation.

Ok here’s a constructive suggestion…

…if you don’t like the way it’s being done put on the stripes and do it yourself. 

this stupid “survey” isn’t constructive.

I wrestled back in the middle to late 90’s and coaching into the mid 2000’s. Was out for a good while but have watched quite a few matches in the past month and actually think officiating as a whole is better than it was many years ago. After I graduated I got into being a ref but actually did soccer more since both my boys played it. One of the hardest jobs out there and almost like teaching it’s overworked and underpaid. 

as said above, not your moms mom, go get your cert and get to it, I mean I’ve yet to see a female referee yet but I had plenty when I was doing soccer!

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, WrestlingGod said:

Competent officials? 

You love telling people what they should be doing lol Maybe you should go do it since you do so much for the sport of wrestling in the state. Also, I just wanted to thank you for offering to put me in touch with someone so I could help out with wrestling in the state. I did a little reaching out and got involved some. Thanks again. People are allowed to have opinions that differs from yours just fyi I saw one of the worst calls I’ve ever seen decide a sectional final match yesterday. I think it’s fair if people expect better officiating, especially when they invest so much for the kid to do the sport and the money it takes to get into the events. As a fan/parent of a high level wrestler in the state, and helping facilitate one of the best clubs in the state I’d love to see TN improve at the wrestler level, and the official level. Too many calls are way too subjective and some of the officials are calling takedowns at the high school level way before control is ever even established. 

Edited by LocalHero
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WrestlingGod said:

…if you don’t like the way it’s being done put on the stripes and do it yourself. 

Did not read the survey but on a serious note, I feel that the cross face into an open mouth issue needs to be addressed by the powers that be. I don’t think it should be considered flagrant misconduct when a wrestler has a forearm shoved into his mouth. I understand that it can be hard for a ref to determine if a wrestler actually bit down sometimes but the flagrant misconduct call should be erased if the ref doesn’t think it was intentional. This  happened to a young man at the section 4 tournament this weekend in the finals. Felt really bad for that young man who worked all year to qualify for state and then had a forearm shoved into his mouth and now can’t compete at the state tournament. Would love to see this problem addressed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WrestlingGod said:

With that said there are some great officials in this state. Unfortunately, we could use some more of them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrestlingGod said:

I did ref, for a few years actually. Fs, greco, aau, and Tssaa. I did it til I got cancer and had to step back so I could go through chemo.

but yeah, you know everything huh

Great job buddy. Sarcasm aside, I pray you healed and are cancer free. I’m just saying, you are the one always telling people go ref, go do rankings, get involved in your local area… this is a forum where discussions happen. Many opinions on here. Let people vent their frustrations without you belittling or feeling the need to tell them what they should do!!! Again, really hope you’re doing better healthwise. 

5 minutes ago, WrestlingGod said:

I did ref, for a few years actually. Fs, greco, aau, and Tssaa. I did it til I got cancer and had to step back so I could go through chemo.

but yeah, you know everything huh

I am not offended by this survey and I am a ref and a coach, so I see it from both sides.  Coaches work their butts off training kids just to go to a tourney and receive bad calls. As a ref I am paid pretty decent and the coaches and the parents should expect for me to get the calls right.  I read the rule book and study at least twice a month. I should do it more because I learn something every-time I go through it. 

refs don’t get a lot of trialing and I really believe that is resulting in inconsistent calls. We should all strive to do better. If you are a ref and reading this there isn’t a rule in the rule book that you shouldn’t know. We can all get better. 

Having said that I started doing it because I have been tough on refs through the years so I thought I should put my money where my mouth is and put on the strips.  I can say that I have truly enjoyed it and I plan on doing it for many years to come. 

Now coaches, Stop arguing calls if you haven’t read the rule book. Just because your daddy’s uncle said your knees have to hit the mat so it’s not called a slam doesn’t make it true. That is definitely not a rule. Ha ha 

Sid Mason 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LocalHero said:

Great job buddy. Sarcasm aside, I pray you healed and are cancer free. I’m just saying, you are the one always telling people go ref, go do rankings, get involved in your local area… this is a forum where discussions happen. Many opinions on here. Let people vent their frustrations without you belittling or feeling the need to tell them what they should do!!! Again, really hope you’re doing better healthwise. 

Appreciate it, good now. They just took one of my nuts. 

I take no issue with the constant complaining with things we have no control over IE venue issues (the cow palace will never be as good as McKenzie), seeding at state, adding divisions, adding extra tournaments before state etc. Those are things they’ve shown they aren’t going to ever change. They just don’t care about wrestling. My issue is when people complain about things like rankings or reffing. Hamm puts in a TON of time, for free, to provide those. With reffing those guys put in a TON of time and get paid very little.

TSSAA is garbage. Talk down about them all day long. I’m in. But why would we ever bury our own? 

So the go to response, and not just from me, is if you don’t like the rankings do your own. If you don’t like the officiating go do it.