TSSAA Officiating

notyourmomsmom

38 minutes ago, LocalHero said:

With that said there are some great officials in this state. Unfortunately, we could use some more of them. 

There’s never going to be enough, people are to lazy to do so, so like wrestling god stated above, if you want to complain then it’s time to join up! I did it after complaining for years and now I sit down, shut up and watch the matches and that goes with wrestling and soccer, both of which I did join and reffed in. So yeah, you have an opinion and an opinion is like people that complain about officials but won’t join in, they are a holes and they stink! 

15 minutes ago, WrestlingGod said:

Appreciate it, good now. They just took one of my nuts. 

I take no issue with the constant complaining with things we have no control over IE venue issues (the cow palace will never be as good as McKenzie), seeding at state, adding divisions, adding extra tournaments before state etc. Those are things they’ve shown they aren’t going to ever change. They just don’t care about wrestling. My issue is when people complain about things like rankings or reffing. Hamm puts in a TON of time, for free, to provide those. With reffing those guys put in a TON of time and get paid very little.

TSSAA is garbage. Talk down about them all day long. I’m in. But why would we ever bury our own? 

So the go to response, and not just from me, is if you don’t like the rankings do your own. If you don’t like the officiating go do it. 

I don’t think the survey is meant to trash the refs. One of my very good friends is a ref, a great one and this is his first year. I’m at Halls right now with my younger son and he had a kid on his back with reverse half for 5 seconds and didn’t get a back point one. There are some great refs in this state. However, there are some awful ones too. There’s a huge disparity in the quality of refs. A kid on DB lost in sectional final match by one point. Hit for stalling with 15 seconds left on his feet, handfighting in the middle of the mat, neither kid shooting. You cannot make that call. I know refs aren’t perfect, but we do have some really bad ones. They don’t know what a takedown is. They don’t know what back points are. They are ###### when someone questions their calls. I’ve been all over the country watching my boy wrestle and I’ll say what I see here is worse than I see anywhere else. Glad to hear cancer is gone and all you had to do was lose a nut lol I’ve thought about selling mine. Word on street is you can get $25,000 a piece for them lol 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

There’s never going to be enough, people are to lazy to do so, so like wrestling god stated above, if you want to complain then it’s time to join up! I did it after complaining for years and now I sit down, shut up and watch the matches and that goes with wrestling and soccer, both of which I did join and reffed in. So yeah, you have an opinion and an opinion is like people that complain about officials but won’t join in, they are a holes and they stink! 

Eh, it’s easy to see who the best refs are. They should ref the bigger matches. Also, not everyone has time to be a ref. I could never due to work schedule and off time is spent on watching kids compete. 

23 minutes ago, Mason422 said:

I am not offended by this survey and I am a ref and a coach, so I see it from both sides.  Coaches work their butts off training kids just to go to a tourney and receive bad calls. As a ref I am paid pretty decent and the coaches and the parents should expect for me to get the calls right.  I read the rule book and study at least twice a month. I should do it more because I learn something every-time I go through it. 

refs don’t get a lot of trialing and I really believe that is resulting in inconsistent calls. We should all strive to do better. If you are a ref and reading this there isn’t a rule in the rule book that you shouldn’t know. We can all get better. 

Having said that I started doing it because I have been tough on refs through the years so I thought I should put my money where my mouth is and put on the strips.  I can say that I have truly enjoyed it and I plan on doing it for many years to come. 

Now coaches, Stop arguing calls if you haven’t read the rule book. Just because your daddy’s uncle said your knees have to hit the mat so it’s not called a slam doesn’t make it true. That is definitely not a rule. Ha ha 

Sid Mason 

The issue is Mr Mason, just like with in soccer, lots of what happens is at high speed AND can be a call made on opinion. You think this is bad it’s even worse with soccer and with soccer I did kids, select, middle and high and one college game. Something you see and might think to be a TD to someone else is not. Like yesterday, watching finals at 160 turner vs Howard(I think his name from PF). In OT the call was correct, a TD with control was made, at that exact moment the match is over, doesn’t matter if he loses control, gets reversed or any 100 other things that can take place. There was a lot of complaint about that call but it was correct. I also hated that the kid from Alcoa got beat in semis because he said ####(not to a referee or about a call) but to himself but could be heard. By rule that is a point and he lost 5-4 because of it instead of going to OT and ended up not even making state.  Again, people can complain all day long, but until they actually do the job I’m sorry you have no idea what it’s like or about when out there. 

1 minute ago, LocalHero said:

Eh, it’s easy to see who the best refs are. They should ref the bigger matches. Also, not everyone has time to be a ref. I could never due to work schedule and off time is spent on watching kids compete. 

Neither could I, you can make your own schedule to ref, if you truly care you can and will make time! I was working 2 jobs annd had 2 kids in sports also, until you do the job I’m tired of hearing people that ARE willing to do the job having them bitched at about it! As I’ve said before, there aren’t enough of them so if you aren’t willing to do the job keep whining about it, I’m sure that will make them better! It was parents being the reason I no longer referee any sport, now these were soccer parents, but I was doing it because I had a love for the sports and if I wasn’t doing it little Joe or Missy are playing against themselves with some parents out of the stands complaining the whole time. I had enough when I cut a girls soccer game that was a “play day” by 2 mins while they were getting beat 13-1, they were already late to their next game and I was volunteering my time that day. Parents suck much worse than those actually doing the sports! 

3 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

Neither could I, you can make your own schedule to ref, if you truly care you can and will make time! I was working 2 jobs annd had 2 kids in sports also, until you do the job I’m tired of hearing people that ARE willing to do the job having them bitched at about it! As I’ve said before, there aren’t enough of them so if you aren’t willing to do the job keep whining about it, I’m sure that will make them better! It was parents being the reason I no longer referee any sport, now these were soccer parents, but I was doing it because I had a love for the sports and if I wasn’t doing it little Joe or Missy are playing against themselves with some parents out of the stands complaining the whole time. I had enough when I cut a girls soccer game that was a “play day” by 2 mins while they were getting beat 13-1, they were already late to their next game and I was volunteering my time that day. Parents suck much worse than those actually doing the sports! 

I work 12 hour days 5 days a week with 8 kids….yeah I’m not finding no extra time. Dealing with parents is just part of it. Doesn’t matter what sport. Same thing in baseball. Just have to ignore it. Most of the crazy parents have no clue what they’re talking about anyways. 

6 minutes ago, LocalHero said:

Oh and by the way, doesn’t really work very well like that. Being a ref might not always be physically hard, but mentally it’s a ######! So try to have every match back to back to back being only the best referees, so what happens when you have a bunch of matches at the same time? I mean the girls finals, A finals and AA finals all happening at the same time. Do the girls get screwed and get the worst of the best refs? Or when that amazing ref makes a call you don’t agree with so you complain he’s no longer an amazing ref? What if it ends up in your mind costing your son a state title? Maybe you can start inventing a robo referee? I mean I know a lot of those high quality referees that would love to not be a referee anymore, but once that starts to try and slow down they get bombarded with calls to come ref this match or that match, heck I gave up both my badges and I still get emails and texts if I would be willing to get my cert back and come help at an event.

1 minute ago, LocalHero said:

I work 12 hour days 5 days a week with 8 kids….yeah I’m not finding no extra time. Dealing with parents is just part of it. Doesn’t matter what sport. Same thing in baseball. Just have to ignore it. Most of the crazy parents have no clue what they’re talking about anyways. 

Lol, you might need to learn what causes those 8 kids(I kid I kid, congrats to you and the Mrs.). And I worked 2 jobs at over 12 hours a day, still found the time. As far as ignoring it, you wont believe the #### I got from parents, you people are horrible(yes, I will clump you in with that just as you saying referees should just ignore it) I was good enough to do very high level matches and I still got followed to my car a few times. No, parents need to learn to keep their mouths shut and enjoy this time with their kids, it’s a sport and if you hate referees or officials having a chance to factor into your decision on winning or losing do like I do and drag race. At that point everything’s done by computers! If not enjoy the time with your kids because one day you won’t be able to!

6 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

Oh and by the way, doesn’t really work very well like that. Being a ref might not always be physically hard, but mentally it’s a ######! So try to have every match back to back to back being only the best referees, so what happens when you have a bunch of matches at the same time? I mean the girls finals, A finals and AA finals all happening at the same time. Do the girls get screwed and get the worst of the best refs? Or when that amazing ref makes a call you don’t agree with so you complain he’s no longer an amazing ref? What if it ends up in your mind costing your son a state title? Maybe you can start inventing a robo referee? I mean I know a lot of those high quality referees that would love to not be a referee anymore, but once that starts to try and slow down they get bombarded with calls to come ref this match or that match, heck I gave up both my badges and I still get emails and texts if I would be willing to get my cert back and come help at an event.

As a state we have way more than 5 good refs. I think it would be doable. 

3 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

Lol, you might need to learn what causes those 8 kids(I kid I kid, congrats to you and the Mrs.). And I worked 2 jobs at over 12 hours a day, still found the time. As far as ignoring it, you wont believe the #### I got from parents, you people are horrible(yes, I will clump you in with that just as you saying referees should just ignore it) I was good enough to do very high level matches and I still got followed to my car a few times. No, parents need to learn to keep their mouths shut and enjoy this time with their kids, it’s a sport and if you hate referees or officials having a chance to factor into your decision on winning or losing do like I do and drag race. At that point everything’s done by computers! If not enjoy the time with your kids because one day you won’t be able to!

If a parent followed me to my car it would not end well so probably a good thing I never plan on reffing. That really is psycho and I hate you had to deal with that. I’ve never even heard of something like that. That’s dumb by the parent because you never know who is concealing. I’d never even dream of something like that but people are crazy I guess. And yeah it took me a couple decades but I finally figured out what caused all those kids lol 

29 minutes ago, LocalHero said:

Dang man, 8 kids. Seems like you COULD afford to lose one of those nuts.

I kid, I lost one and still had another.