State Upsets

GoTNwrestling

44 minutes ago, masonlillard said:

Single A TSSAA State Finals 182 pound weight class: Kolbie Smith (Red Bank) over two time state champion Logan Hegert (Sycamore) Decision: 1-0 

I will never understand guys not going for it when out there. Playing it safe will rarely win you a match and does a good job of losing one for you. 1-0 for Heckert vs Smith and 1-0 for Turner vs Magness. I understand playing it a little safe but this was as fun as watching paint dry and I’d rather get beat 4-5 or more and actually go for it than literally get beat 1-0. I think I’d have a much worse feeling and regret that way.

58 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

I will never understand guys not going for it when out there. Playing it safe will rarely win you a match and does a good job of losing one for you. 1-0 for Heckert vs Smith and 1-0 for Turner vs Magness. I understand playing it a little safe but this was as fun as watching paint dry and I’d rather get beat 4-5 or more and actually go for it than literally get beat 1-0. I think I’d have a much worse feeling and regret that way.

100% agree

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

Just curious. Where were you sitting during the Heckert/Smith match?

6 minutes ago, Hamblin1 said:

Just curious. Where were you sitting during the Heckert/Smith match?

A friend having the match on their phone since I couldn’t get the live feed that I paid for work. 

Oh and by the way this matchup wasn’t as bad a paint drying matchup as the other. I’m still surprised, happy but surprised Smith beat Heckert as Kobe is a good kid but I’ve never seen him wrestle like he did in that matchup, I had only watched Heckert a few times.

Edited by cobrakid8

2 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

Just wondering Cobra have you ever competed at a high level? Maybe you have not sure but Logan Heckert gave it all he had. Kobe is a great wrestler and it is extremely hard to wrestle someone that is that much longer than yourself while at the same time being a heck of a wrestler. I thought it was a great match with both men giving their all! If you don’t t agree maybe you can enter yourself in the open tournament at independence on the football field and Logan and myself will be happy to accommodate you In a lesson!

2 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

A friend having the match on their phone since I couldn’t get the live feed that I paid for work. 

Well I was sitting in the corner and what I saw was a guy weighing 175lbs wrestling a guy who looked like he would have been a large 195 pounder. I also saw that 175 pounder take several shot attempts while fighting off arms and legs that were SEVERAL inches longer. I saw that smaller wrestler trying several different turning combinations and doing everything he could to unwrap himself from tight waists that looked more like tight spines. There was no playing it safe on his side. His opponent was warned for stalling once on his feet and in my opinion should have been again while on top. There were no turn attempts from the larger wrestler. Unfortunately I don’t make those calls. 
I cannot and will not speak on the other match you mentioned because they are not my kids. 
The last thing I will mention seeing is a kid who very well could have won a state title at 170 (he pinned Stacy earlier in the year) but chose to wrestle up to get a challenge. His only loss on the year was to Brenot of Clarksville. Maybe you saw what he did tonight. 
Heckert is a gutsy kid who laid it all on the line this evening and I can assure you sir there was no playing it safe on his end. 
I did congratulate Smith because he won a state title and I’m not knocking Stacy, he won one as well.  

1 minute ago, Mitch24 said:

Just wondering Cobra have you ever competed at a high level? Maybe you have not sure but Logan Heckert gave it all he had. Kobe is a great wrestler and it is extremely hard to wrestle someone that is that much longer than yourself while at the same time being a heck of a wrestler. I thought it was a great match with both men giving their all! If you don’t t agree maybe you can enter yourself in the open tournament at independence on the football field and Logan and myself will be happy to accommodate you In a lesson!

Nope, not a high level like a state champ especially multiple time state champ. Also I didn’t have a split like it is now, but hey what do I know, I mean I was an average at best wrestler but I did have TD’s against the kid that won state, runner up, 3rd and 4th place my senior year. I am now 41 not 18 but I also didn’t hold back no matter how good or tough the opponent was or how bad a wrestler I was. I also weighed 150lbs as a 171lb wrestler since we had seniors throughout the lineup that season. Some kids just wrestle tight when against great competition, not sure why but it happens, I’ve watched Kobe at both regions and sectionals, he’s a great wrestler but I never thought he was at same level as Logan, happy I was wrong, sad for Logan that as a senior he couldn’t be a 3 timer. 

5 minutes ago, Hamblin1 said:

Well I was sitting in the corner and what I saw was a guy weighing 175lbs wrestling a guy who looked like he would have been a large 195 pounder. I also saw that 175 pounder take several shot attempts while fighting off arms and legs that were SEVERAL inches longer. I saw that smaller wrestler trying several different turning combinations and doing everything he could to unwrap himself from tight waists that looked more like tight spines. There was no playing it safe on his side. His opponent was warned for stalling once on his feet and in my opinion should have been again while on top. There were no turn attempts from the larger wrestler. Unfortunately I don’t make those calls. 
I cannot and will not speak on the other match you mentioned because they are not my kids. 
The last thing I will mention seeing is a kid who very well could have won a state title at 170 (he pinned Stacy earlier in the year) but chose to wrestle up to get a challenge. His only loss on the year was to Brenot of Clarksville. Maybe you saw what he did tonight. 
Heckert is a gutsy kid who laid it all on the line this evening and I can assure you sir there was no playing it safe on his end. 
I did congratulate Smith because he won a state title and I’m not knocking Stacy, he won one as well.  

Been there, moved up and wrestled 20lbs, it happens and again I was average at best, I hated wrestling Josh Ward and Jimmy Hoover my senior year much taller and prob stronger. The kid I wrestled in 2nd round Penrod looked like a Greek god, it happens. Now I do agree that I also think Kobe should have been warned when on top also and that would have tied it up, but in the end in the officials eyes it wasn’t a call they would make. Also Kobe is tall and a very large wingspan, but he played football at around 185-190 all year and made 182 fairly easy. Again I hate it for Logan and wish him the best in his future endeavors! I also think if they wrestle that match 10 times Logan most likely wins that 8 times, this time just wasn’t his time.

10 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

Been there, moved up and wrestled 20lbs, it happens and again I was average at best, I hated wrestling Josh Ward and Jimmy Hoover my senior year much taller and prob stronger. The kid I wrestled in 2nd round Penrod looked like a Greek god, it happens. Now I do agree that I also think Kobe should have been warned when on top also and that would have tied it up, but in the end in the officials eyes it wasn’t a call they would make. Also Kobe is tall and a very large wingspan, but he played football at around 185-190 all year and made 182 fairly easy. Again I hate it for Logan and wish him the best in his future endeavors! I also think if they wrestle that match 10 times Logan most likely wins that 8 times, this time just wasn’t his time.

Like paint drying?