TN D1 wrestlers results for 23

durdon

Here is all of our TN D1guys who either wrestled in TN or are Tennessee kids 

The first set of numbers after their HS is their record this season, then I listed the number of Varsity matches - then if they redshirted this year or had to take a medical.   The reason for # of Varsity matches is that often a better indicator of how the wrestler season is going than win loss. Keyveon is only 7-5 but he has 2 varsity starts as a redshirt freshman which is wow. Palmer and Chase Diehl have the most varsity starts this season. 

Class of 22  

Mason Alley – Indiana – Baylor – 5-6 - Redshirt

Colby Dalon – Kent State – Lakeway – 2-7 - Redshirt

Kodiak Cannedy - Little Rock – Greeneville – 0-4 - Redshirt

Nick Corday – Michigan State – Baylor – 6-11 - Redshirt

Gervacio Gonzales - Navy - CBHS - 1-3 

Keyveon Roller – UVA - Lakeway Christian –  7-5 – 2 Varsity matches – Redshirt

Brayden Ivy – West Virginia -  Lakeway Christian - 10-5 - Redshirt

Class of 21. 

Daniel Uhrochuck – Army  – SMHS – 5-7

Trae McDaniel- Army  -  Cleveland – 28-9 - 6 Varsity matches 

Alex Whitworth – Harvard -McCallie – 7-8 – 4 Varsity Matches

Emory Taylor – Pitt – McCallie – 1-2 – 1 Varsity Matches – Medical Redshirt 

Dayne Dalrymple – UTC – CBHS – 8-12 – 9 Varsity Matches

Jackson Hurst -UTC- Dobyns Bennett – 4-10 – 7 Varsity Matches

Landon Lewis – UTC- Soddy Daisy  – 3-10 – 3 Varsity Matches

Cooper Flynn – Va Tech – out of State – 15-6 – 5 Varsity Matches 

Gavin Cagle – Virginia – McCallie – 5-6 

Class of 20

Mason Reinche -- Oregon St – Baylor – 9-0

Brooks Sacharczyk- Little Rock  - Blackman – 6-3  

Garrett Bowers - Air Force – CBHS – 1-6 – 2 Varsity Matches 

Class of 19 

Chase Diehl – SIUE – Science Hill - 9-14 -  14 Varsity Matches

Grant Lundy – UTC – Cleveland - 9-9 – 10 Varsity Matches

Brayden Palmer – UTC – Beech  – 17-6 – 18 Varsity matches

Tom Sell – UTC – McCallie – 6-8 – 5 Varsity Matches

Andrew Pace – Harvard – Baylor – 1-2 

Class of 17 

Drew Nicolson – Va Tech – CBHS  7-7

Nick Boykin – Ohio State – Riverdale – 0-0

Please let me know if I missed anyone.  

Edited by durdon

17 hours ago, cbg said:

Just curious to know why so many of the Tennessee D2 athletes went to out of state schools to wrestle in college and most of the D1 guys decided to stay in Tennessee and compete for UTC

We currently have 26 TN kids wrestling in D1 and of that 26, only 6 are at UTC so it’s certainly not most.   

But, 23% is a healthy sizable number of instate kids wrestling at UTC.  
the reasons are simple, UTC is a great academic school, nice campus downtown in a great city, with a really good current coaching staff.  

I am worried that we are about to see a huge drop in this number as with the assistant coaching change, UTC is now focusing most of their recruiting on Ga and not aggressively pursuing TN kids.  

6 hours ago, durdon said:

We currently have 26 TN kids wrestling in D1 and of that 26, only 6 are at UTC so it’s certainly not most.   

But, 23% is a healthy sizable number of instate kids wrestling at UTC.  
the reasons are simple, UTC is a great academic school, nice campus downtown in a great city, with a really good current coaching staff.  

I am worried that we are about to see a huge drop in this number as with the assistant coaching change, UTC is now focusing most of their recruiting on Ga and not aggressively pursuing TN kids.  

26 Tennessee kids are currently wrestling in college but Cooper Flynn did not compete in Tennessee during his high school career so for numbers sake let’s say there are 25. Of those 25 wrestling D1, 15 of those attended private schools in Tennessee and 10 attended public schools.  I probably failed to make my question clear so I will try again; why did only one of the 15 private school kids make the decision to attend college at UTC and the rest are wrestling outside the state of Tennessee?  Does UTC not like the D2 kids because by looking at the list that your provided D1 wrestling programs in other states must like them.  You will also notice that of the 10 public school wrestlers on the list 50% made the decision to continue their career at UTC which seems to be a high number.  I would be remiss if I didn’t say that Brayden Palmer began his career out of state and transferred to UTC.  

Edited by cbg

2 hours ago, cbg said:

26 Tennessee kids are currently wrestling in college but Cooper Flynn did not compete in Tennessee during his high school career so for numbers sake let’s say there are 25. Of those 25 wrestling D1, 15 of those attended private schools in Tennessee and 10 attended public schools.  I probably failed to make my question clear so I will try again; why did only one of the 15 private school kids make the decision to attend college at UTC and the rest are wrestling outside the state of Tennessee?  Does UTC not like the D2 kids because by looking at the list that your provided D1 wrestling programs in other states must like them.  You will also notice that of the 10 public school wrestlers on the list 50% made the decision to continue their career at UTC which seems to be a high number.  I would be remiss if I didn’t say that Brayden Palmer began his career out of state and transferred to UTC.  

Isnt UTC Coach pretty new. Maybe he hasn’t had time to build a relationship with high school coaches. I’m hoping App St gets a little more involved with TN kids. You guys do a good job on here talking about the talent in TN. I’m pretty sure Bryson Terrell went to App St prospect camp got a offer and is now a future Mountaineer. If you look at App St starters right now half the lineup is North Carolina kids. App St Head Coach does a really good job at developing kids. It would be pretty cool if some of the kids in East Tennessee would go to Apps RTC. 

Edited by Appvol

3 hours ago, cbg said:

Of UTC’s 6 instate kids 2 of them are from D2 Privates, Tom Sell and Dayne Dalrymple. So 1/3 of UTC instate kids are from D2 privates so you can’t make the argument that UTC doesn’t like D2 kids.

I am really not sure what point you are even trying to make here and why if the kids went to private or public schools matters. 

56 minutes ago, durdon said:

Of UTC’s 6 instate kids 2 of them are from D2 Privates, Tom Sell and Dayne Dalrymple. So 1/3 of UTC instate kids are from D2 privates so you can’t make the argument that UTC doesn’t like D2 kids.

I am really not sure what point you are even trying to make here and why if the kids went to private or public schools matters. 

Not trying to make any point other than crunching numbers and making an observation.  My question is still why so many of the private school wrestlers go out of state and the public school wrestlers appear to stay in state?  I know that if I were the coach at UTC I would be asking myself that question. 

19 hours ago, cbg said:

Not trying to make any point other than crunching numbers and making an observation.  My question is still why so many of the private school wrestlers go out of state and the public school wrestlers appear to stay in state?  I know that if I were the coach at UTC I would be asking myself that question. 

Here is an outsider looking in as I have coached 4 D1 kids that all went out of state in the last 5 years and none that chose UTC. UTC did not recruit a single one of them, no phone calls, no in house visits, nothing. So they went out of state, and have a pretty sore spot against UTC. 

I do not claim to know UTC plan or if maybe we were the wrong weight, or they did not think we were good fits for their program. From a numbers standpoint though there is part of your reasoning, that they did not recruit D1 kids within the state.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, cbg said:

I believe the question is why so few DII wrestlers go to UTC out of all that wrestle in college, not a hard question to understand.  Of the 15 DII, only 2 attend UTC which is 13%, and 1 of the 2 at UTC started somewhere else before transferring.  I believe this is a fair question.

• Like 1

I just went through the recruiting process with my son. We had a list of schools that reached out to him via email, text and cell and a list of schools that were HIS top choices based on 17 specific criteria. We were able to rule out schools that weren’t a good fit and we pursued the schools that were.  We engaged first with his top choices and WE pursued, we visited them, we went to camps, met the coaches, met the guys in the room, checked out the actual rooms where he will be bleeding and sweating, checked out the dorms, checked out the campuses and then refined some more.  Ultimately there was mutual interest with his top school and he was offered and promptly committed. Our experience may be different than guys who hit the Flo rankings, but out of all the schools he could’ve possibly gone to, he’s signed with his top choice where he will have the greatest chance to reach his full potential as a D1 wrestler. All I’m adding here is that we didn’t wait to be recruited, the same as finding that job you want or that house you want, or that wife you want.  You go pursue it, you don’t wait for it to come to you. Just wonder if any of these guys that are talked about on this thread pursued UTC as their first choice. 

18 hours ago, Biffmar4 said:

I just went through the recruiting process with my son. We had a list of schools that reached out to him via email, text and cell and a list of schools that were HIS top choices based on 17 specific criteria. We were able to rule out schools that weren’t a good fit and we pursued the schools that were.  We engaged first with his top choices and WE pursued, we visited them, we went to camps, met the coaches, met the guys in the room, checked out the actual rooms where he will be bleeding and sweating, checked out the dorms, checked out the campuses and then refined some more.  Ultimately there was mutual interest with his top school and he was offered and promptly committed. Our experience may be different than guys who hit the Flo rankings, but out of all the schools he could’ve possibly gone to, he’s signed with his top choice where he will have the greatest chance to reach his full potential as a D1 wrestler. All I’m adding here is that we didn’t wait to be recruited, the same as finding that job you want or that house you want, or that wife you want.  You go pursue it, you don’t wait for it to come to you. Just wonder if any of these guys that are talked about on this thread pursued UTC as their first choice. 

Wish the best for your son!!!!

• Thanks 1