Eye Black

BelmontRebel

10 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Loaded question, and I'll explain with another loaded question. Do you think that I should have the right to decide what you like? What if I believe that you shouldn't be allowed to wear a particular color of shirt to a ballgame (it's the same thing) if I don't approve? If it gives an unfair competitive advantage that isn't available to all, then regulate it...otherwise, it's just people with a little bit of authority exercising their will upon another. I'd even be fine with an extenuation of the rule pertaining to hairbows/headbands and what color is allowed (must match), but not such a silly little thing with so much political undertone. Just a veiled attempt to condition the masses to accept "authority" without question, and I'll never be OK with the minority setting the rules for the majority.

I don't care one way or another, but I'm just saying if it's a policy, rule, etc. set forth by administration, board, or whoever it has to be followed no matter if we like it or not.  

4 hours ago, BelmontRebel said:

I don't care one way or another, but I'm just saying if it's a policy, rule, etc. set forth by administration, board, or whoever it has to be followed no matter if we like it or not.  

I completely agree. Our difference was your take of "it isn't necessary" and mine of "it's not TSSAA's business to implement their opinions as policy". Their mission statement is to ensure fair play among member schools and their respective athletes, not to dictate personal preference under penalty. Our society has been desensitized to the point that we readily accept the suppression of our rights, just because someone wishes to control us. Our country was founded on the one simple principal that each individual protect the rights of all men(sic), and that all men protect the rights of each individual. I realize that I'm getting a little deep for a non-issue such as a dab of greasepaint, but the principal is at the foundation.

18 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Loaded question, and I'll explain with another loaded question. Do you think that I should have the right to decide what you like? What if I believe that you shouldn't be allowed to wear a particular color of shirt to a ballgame (it's the same thing) if I don't approve? If it gives an unfair competitive advantage that isn't available to all, then regulate it...otherwise, it's just people with a little bit of authority exercising their will upon another. I'd even be fine with an extenuation of the rule pertaining to hairbows/headbands and what color is allowed (must match), but not such a silly little thing with so much political undertone. Just a veiled attempt to condition the masses to accept "authority" without question, and I'll never be OK with the minority setting the rules for the majority.

This is perfectly stated. Do you think the TSSAA would be "scared" or afraid of what players looked like if they were not to have this "rule" in place? They're baseball players, and as we all know, the players are going to wear what they want to wear to feel confident in the game. And, confidence is a huge a part of the game. 

None of your SH players are going to be Evan Russell or Ethan Small if they were the eye black to a certain point. It's not a secret sauce, or a competitive advantage. If that were to be the case, then all the players would wear it. 

8 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I completely agree. Our difference was your take of "it isn't necessary" and mine of "it's not TSSAA's business to implement their opinions as policy". Their mission statement is to ensure fair play among member schools and their respective athletes, not to dictate personal preference under penalty. Our society has been desensitized to the point that we readily accept the suppression of our rights, just because someone wishes to control us. Our country was founded on the one simple principal that each individual protect the rights of all men(sic), and that all men protect the rights of each individual. I realize that I'm getting a little deep for a non-issue such as a dab of greasepaint, but the principal is at the foundation.

NFHS made inappropriate usage a point of emphasis this year:

>>>

Usage of Eye Black 
Eye black has been a staple in the sport of baseball since the 1930s. Originally, the first introduction of eye black was a grease substance made out of beeswax, paraffin and carbon to help players reduce glare from the sun. It has evolved to a less messy version as a plastic sticker placed under the eye socket that does not run when wet from perspiration or soils the uniform. The grease version of eye black is now being used as a face decoration. Images and/or sayings are being drawn on the faces of the players to try to intimidate and/or taunt an opponent. There are existing sportsmanship rules available to mitigate any use of eye black (in any version) in an inappropriate or unfavorable way. We are hopeful that coaches direct their players to use this convenient tool in a more productive way.

>>>

Then in a ridiculously angry elf rant at the TBCA conference this year, Gene Menees acted as though he defined only regular underlines or small crosses as appropriate in TSSAA games.  Small minded as usual and ignoring the fact that other religions actually exist in TN (Star of David, etc.).

Let him know how you feel - gmenees@tssaa.org