Schools needing games

fredjones

On 3/28/2023 at 8:27 AM, fredjones said:

Remove Oakland from the list.  They have 10 games.

I cannot believe that Oakland is playing Antioch.  They've won 2 in the last 6 years.  Not championships.  Games.  

Oakland is great.  Their region is stout.  They've played all comers and won.  They also slide a RePublic, Kenwood, or Antioch on the schedule occasionally as a "get right" week.  

Alcoa plays Ravenwood, Bearden, Greeneville, West, and Maryville.  If Alcoa picked up a game with Wartburg or Harpeth I'm sure the CoachT mob would be out in full force ready to bash them for scheduling such a game.  

It's a double standard.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

I'll drive the 4 miles to Goddard Field if it's on a Saturday.

But you likely wouldn't on a Friday night when the team you support is playing a home game, or a game within reasonable driving distance.  

And neither would a large majority of those who are interested in high school football, much less a couple to several hours drive.  

Edited by HTV

1 hour ago, howdoitknow said:

I cannot believe that Oakland is playing Antioch.  They've won 2 in the last 6 years.  Not championships.  Games.  

Oakland is great.  Their region is stout.  They've played all comers and won.  They also slide a RePublic, Kenwood, or Antioch on the schedule occasionally as a "get right" week.  

Alcoa plays Ravenwood, Bearden, Greeneville, West, and Maryville.  If Alcoa picked up a game with Wartburg or Harpeth I'm sure the CoachT mob would be out in full force ready to bash them for scheduling such a game.  

It's a double standard.  

The list of teams willing to play Oakland is not long. They're not in a position to be choosy. I don't like it either, but instead call out the teams that duck competition rather than the ones that are just trying to find anybody to fill out a full schedule.

Oakland is playing Haywood, Center Grove, Ravenwood and Independence. You want a scapegoat, go after for Warren Co for jumping regions when there was no advantage for them to do so. Let me know when you can force teams to play Oakland, I'm sure Creasy would love not having to spend half an off-season finding a 10th game 

7 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

The list of teams willing to play Oakland is not long. They're not in a position to be choosy. I don't like it either, but instead call out the teams that duck competition rather than the ones that are just trying to find anybody to fill out a full schedule.

Oakland is playing Haywood, Center Grove, Ravenwood and Independence. You want a scapegoat, go after for Warren Co for jumping regions when there was no advantage for them to do so. Let me know when you can force teams to play Oakland, I'm sure Creasy would love not having to spend half an off-season finding a 10th game 

additionally, oakland taking a "week off" from a rigorous 6A schedule is different than a 3A schedule.  it's just not the same.  I think both schools play tough out of region schedules but alcoa did play a 2A last year, maybe for the same reason and I don't remember anyone bashing them for it.

i will say oakland is willing to play some private schools which in middle TN is a tough ask.  FWIW, i'm still waiting on that 2nd game at LA.  : )

3 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

additionally, oakland taking a "week off" from a rigorous 6A schedule is different than a 3A schedule.  it's just not the same.  I think both schools play tough out of region schedules but alcoa did play a 2A last year, maybe for the same reason and I don't remember anyone bashing them for it.

i will say oakland is willing to play some private schools which in middle TN is a tough ask.  FWIW, i'm still waiting on that 2nd game at LA.  : )

We need a breather from playing the alphabets. Oakland does play/scrimmage a healthy amount of privates and I like to think it's helped get us ready for the season, hopefully they feel the same way. 

Interested to see how Mawae does at LA. With the schedule they have this year, Oakland would be just another team

10 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

We need a breather from playing the alphabets. Oakland does play/scrimmage a healthy amount of privates and I like to think it's helped get us ready for the season, hopefully they feel the same way. 

Interested to see how Mawae does at LA. With the schedule they have this year, Oakland would be just another team

yeah, I think iron sharpens iron for sure.  we will get a match up when it makes sense for both teams.

i am curious, too.  i am excited to have him as a coach.  LA is going to be battle tested when they start region play.  

1 hour ago, theawesomebro said:

Well that 2a team they played was the 2a state Champs and only lost to Alcoa last year.  That game worked out because they both had open dates and wasn't Alcoa's first choice (Tried to get AC, Greeneville, or Betsy but didn't work out last go around)

28 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Well that 2a team they played was the 2a state Champs and only lost to Alcoa last year.  That game worked out because they both had open dates and wasn't Alcoa's first choice (Tried to get AC, Greeneville, or Betsy but didn't work out last go around)

totally understand and not throwing shade just a comparison for a "not as tough as the rest of the games".   the original poster made it seem like it was easy for oakland (or alcoa) to just line up another heavy weight.  not always that simple for anyone.

4 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

Alcoa played Tyner last year.  They won the 2A State Championship.  

1 hour ago, howdoitknow said:

Alcoa played Tyner last year.  They won the 2A State Championship.  

I know who they are and when they played them as noted in my post.  you mentioned "what if" alcoa played another 2A team, wartburg.  I pointed out that they did in fact play a 2A team.  alcoa playing a 2A team is not that different than oakland playing a bad 6A team.  they both play lots of good teams and occasionally a not so good team.  you said it was a double standard.  I am saying it's not. 

I agree their 2021 schedule and team was impressive.  

• Upvote 1