Freshman coming up for McKenzie, the defending champs.

TheCountian

9 hours ago, TheCountian said:

Since McKenzie lost quite a few from last years team, do they have any freshman coming in that could step up and make a difference or see the field a lot?

No Taylors or Cassidys  that I am aware of if that is what your asking.

Edited by RexKwonDo

Everyone looks at losing Taylor and Cassidy as the big losses.  The biggest issue McKenzie is facing is replacing the offensive line.  We have some size, but experience and depth will be the major concern.  You just don't replace a Latimer, Luna, Cheney, and Edmonson.  Those four were absolute beast in the trenches.  At QB, we will be fine!  Tate Surber (JR) will lead the offense and many will look out there and think Cassidy is still with us.  Tate has a strong arm, and stands around 6'2.  In the backfield, I anticipate we will be more of a line up and smash mouth.  Colt Norden and Brady Brewer I anticpate getting most of the carries.  Upcoming Sophmore Timmy Arline was a stud in 8th grade.  If he can learn to run at the high school level, he could factor in as well.  He has pretty good speed.  We should be relatively solid at the wideout position.  We return a good core that got alot of reps last year.  Stafford Roditis should lead that bunch along with being our kicker.  We have been blessed the last few years to have both Staff and Aird.  

Defensive side is where we will probably miss Cassidy the most.  He was a defensive machine.  Many would say he was better on the defensive side of the football.  Honestly, I think that is what won him Mr. Football.  Tharpe, Allison, Aird, Cassidy are huge voids to fill on the defensive secondary.  As far as DL...see those mentioned above.  

I don't feel like the cubbard is bare by no means, but it will be a different look.  Hopefully, by week 11, we will have jelled and make a deep run.  But with that being said, these are 16 to 18 year old kids.  Anything can happen between now and November. 

On 6/12/2023 at 9:48 AM, VOLnWTN said:

Everyone looks at losing Taylor and Cassidy as the big losses.  The biggest issue McKenzie is facing is replacing the offensive line.  We have some size, but experience and depth will be the major concern.  You just don't replace a Latimer, Luna, Cheney, and Edmonson.  Those four were absolute beast in the trenches.  At QB, we will be fine!  Tate Surber (JR) will lead the offense and many will look out there and think Cassidy is still with us.  Tate has a strong arm, and stands around 6'2.  In the backfield, I anticipate we will be more of a line up and smash mouth.  Colt Norden and Brady Brewer I anticpate getting most of the carries.  Upcoming Sophmore Timmy Arline was a stud in 8th grade.  If he can learn to run at the high school level, he could factor in as well.  He has pretty good speed.  We should be relatively solid at the wideout position.  We return a good core that got alot of reps last year.  Stafford Roditis should lead that bunch along with being our kicker.  We have been blessed the last few years to have both Staff and Aird.  

Defensive side is where we will probably miss Cassidy the most.  He was a defensive machine.  Many would say he was better on the defensive side of the football.  Honestly, I think that is what won him Mr. Football.  Tharpe, Allison, Aird, Cassidy are huge voids to fill on the defensive secondary.  As far as DL...see those mentioned above.  

I don't feel like the cubbard is bare by no means, but it will be a different look.  Hopefully, by week 11, we will have jelled and make a deep run.  But with that being said, these are 16 to 18 year old kids.  Anything can happen between now and November. 

Not gonna miss any of em! McCreary will leave a big void too. Won't miss him either!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, RexKwonDo said:

What do y'all have returning? What is the outlook for the War Eagles this year?

Most everyone is back. I think we lost an offensive lineman, #2 rb, couple receivers 1 starter. On defense I think the whole d line is back, replacing our captain lb, and a db or 2. Really excited to see what 2 younger guys in particular do this year those being Qumarion Patterson and Darion Taylor. They're sophomore and freshman kids but the athleticism is off the chart. Great kids too. 

Coaches come and go all the time. We as a community hate to see Coach Benson (Milan), and Coach Cobb(Trenton) leave because they had a great rapport with the kids. With the recent success of the Rebels comes new job opportunities for the supporting staff. Now the new Coach is in place and building a firm foundation for the future. How do you think picking up Coach Benson will affect y' all's program @BIGPURPLEMACHINE