Class 6A Region 1

bdawg122712

Doesn't matter how good the running backs are or how big the lines are. The defensive back field will be terrible, and they'll give up 200+ yards to any team with a good QB and at least one good receiver. I don't even know what kind of athletes they have back there this year or who's coaching them, and I'll still guarantee you they'll be terrible. It's been that way for 25+ years straight. The "Good Ole' Boys" don't believe in playing pass defense. 

This is so true on so many levels with the defensive backfield. It seems it does not matter who the players are they always getting beat deep. I believe the fundamental issue is the fact they play mostly man, even in a 3 wide, and it lines up weaker DB against good WR. It seems like they do not change their defensive coverage no matter who (the team) or what good player they are playing. It bites them more that helps them. 

On 6/21/2023 at 6:44 PM, DBHSfootballfan1 said:

This is so true on so many levels with the defensive backfield. It seems it does not matter who the players are they always getting beat deep. I believe the fundamental issue is the fact they play mostly man, even in a 3 wide, and it lines up weaker DB against good WR. It seems like they do not change their defensive coverage no matter who (the team) or what good player they are playing. It bites them more that helps them. 

Basically, DB's main theory for pass defense has always been the pass rush. It worked well in the days of Darrell Watson. But after losing Watson things went south and stayed there. Watson, who was probably the best defensive coordinator in the state at that time had a special knack for knowing just when to bring the pressure. And he could do it with consistency. Nobody really noticed how bad the defensive backfield was because the QB was usually running for his life and couldn't get a decent pass off. You might ask, well if Watson was such a great defensive coordinator, why didn't he just fix the defensive backfield back then. You have to understand that the "good ole' boys" were large and in charge back then also. And with the guy that was coaching the backfield at that time, you had to play along to get along. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Basically, DB's main theory for pass defense has always been the pass rush. It worked well in the days of Darrell Watson. But after losing Watson things went south and stayed there. Watson, who was probably the best defensive coordinator in the state at that time had a special knack for knowing just when to bring the pressure. And he could do it with consistency. Nobody really noticed how bad the defensive backfield was because the QB was usually running for his life and couldn't get a decent pass off. You might ask, well if Watson was such a great defensive coordinator, why didn't he just fix the defensive backfield back then. You have to understand that the "good ole' boys" were large and in charge back then also. And with the guy that was coaching the backfield at that time, you had to play along to get along. 

Watson was a dang good coach. What I’ve never understood is with all the athletes at Kingsport, it seems like y’all should have a gooder secondary. But it never happens. Why can’t Kingsport develop a good secondary?

Dude, you know a lot about DB and I respect the truth...the DB faithful will never change the good ole boys system....

18 hours ago, DBHSfootballfan1 said:

Dude, you know a lot about DB and I respect the truth...the DB faithful will never change the good ole boys system....

Welcome to the T....  And more specifically to Boone Nation.....     DBHS does stand for Daniel Boone High School, right?.....  Oh wait....

1 hour ago, IncognitoCamper said:

Is this the year DB finally gets over the hump ??  or will it be more of the same old same old. Losing to Science Hill.

The importance of the DB-SH game is whether you play Maryville in the first round or the second round. 1 and done or 0 and done. That one extra week of practice has never helped either program. 

Read an article in the KTN about the QB situation at D-B.  All three QB's vying for the starting job are transfers from somewhere.  The kid from Abingdon who was already in the system wasn't the best last year when he played.  The kid from Union, I have learned from folks I know in Southwest Virginia, has no varsity experience.  Don't know anything about the kid from Elizabethton.  The QB situation, at the very least, looks a little bleak.  Also saw Christian say that all three would probably split time.  That doesn't seem to work very often either, regardless of location.

42 minutes ago, TribalEmpire said:

Read an article in the KTN about the QB situation at D-B.  All three QB's vying for the starting job are transfers from somewhere.  The kid from Abingdon who was already in the system wasn't the best last year when he played.  The kid from Union, I have learned from folks I know in Southwest Virginia, has no varsity experience.  Don't know anything about the kid from Elizabethton.  The QB situation, at the very least, looks a little bleak.  Also saw Christian say that all three would probably split time.  That doesn't seem to work very often either, regardless of location.

Christian was likely just sandbagging, spewing coach talking points.     He can't possibly believe that a 3-way QB split is going to work.