The new Class 5A Region 5

3 minutes ago, Cakeman said:

I don't think anything happens until 4 years.  Not much coming up from middle school either.  If you are winning you get transfers.  Years ago they got students because it was a better school system but not anymore.  It has fallen off over the years.

It is not getting turned around in 4 years.  A lot of hype videos but not substance to them 

29 minutes ago, jlore62 said:

Coming into the year I thought this would be FC's region to lose and Shelbyville has came out of nowhere. what's going on with the rebels?

New coach in Tracy Hayworth, Coach Cunningham left to be an assistant at Boyd Buchanan. I think they lost several players form last year, but return a good quarterback, and some very talented backs. I think they can still have a good year.

1 hour ago, jlore62 said:

Coming into the year I thought this would be FC's region to lose and Shelbyville has came out of nowhere. what's going on with the rebels?

I'm not that surprised by Shelbyville.  They were the smallest 6A school last year and are now just about the largest 5A school, and are in the second year with their new coach.  I expected a jump from them.

As another poster mentioned, FC lost a ton of talent by graduation and also had a (very late) HC change.  

Another significant issue is in the coaching staff - the offensive staff (at least) is very thin these days.  The departing HC should be viewed as having been the OC or at least the co-OC last year.  The other co-OC from 2022 is now a part-time only coach due to job changes, so I assume he's no longer involved in game-planning/play calling.  In fact, over the course of the last three or so years, they have lost at least four coaches who were the primary offensive play callers at one time or another and are now on the fifth.  To my knowledge, none of these departing coaches were replaced at all.  I'm not going to mention any remaining coaches by name, because the fact is that there are just a few offensive coaches left trying to do the work of an offensive staff that was about four coaches larger in 2021.  At some point, a staff that small is just not going to be able to get everything done that needs to get done.   I was told that they wanted to hire more guys last year and were denied the money/budgeting to do so, but cannot confirm that.  It's very clear they haven't been able to hire asst coaches for two years for some reason, regardless.  It's hard to understand, because they certainly had a full staff in 2021.  They also seem to be down a defensive coach or two from 2021.

They have a pretty good QB and two other good offensive weapons.  The OL is mostly pretty experienced but has under-performed as a unit this fall.  They're having trouble running the ball and also can't protect long enough to throw it effectively.  If you can't run it, can't protect enough to throw it, and don't have some sort of a wizard at OC, there are going to be big problems.

They are routinely splitting one of their best targets to each side of the formation.  With the limited pass pro, this means they only have one real target available on each passing play.  They're going to have to consider putting them both on the wide side of the field and hoping they can get one of them open in the very limited time the QB has to operate, because there is zero chance that he can scan both sides of the field in the time he's getting.  It's a longshot to help - if you can't run the ball and can't pass block, no amount of scheme is going to help a whole lot.  But I think you have to start by being sure that both of your best options have a chance to be involved.

Edited by PullinGuard
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jlore62 said:

I spoke with a few gentlemen Sunday that said it's not the QB or lack of athletes at FC. Both told me the same thing after seeing them play in person...the problem with the Rebels is the o-line. If the QB can get enough time to get the ball out, the WRs are pretty decent. I haven't seen them yet this year so this is just what I was told. We all know the game of football starts up front so it could be a long year for the Rebs. 

19 hours ago, jlore62 said:

Last week before region play (besides LC vs LC) what's everyone's projections 

Barring injuries Shelbyville is the frontrunner, too much offensive firepower, if they have  any weakness its the defensive secondary.  Columbia probably second. Then 3 and 4 is wide open  between Tullahoma, Franklin County, Lawrence County and Lincoln County. 

There will be a matchup this week  Lawrence Co.-Lincoln Co., then next week Shelbyville-Columbia, and Franklin Co.-Tullahoma, will get a clearer picture.  

3 hours ago, Twistedwedge said:

East Hamilton over Franklin County

Rockvale over Tullahoma

Columbia over Hunters Lane

Spring Hill over Maplewood

Shelbyville over Coffee County

Tullahoma needs to utilize their kicker more.  Free kick, drop kick, fake kick kick, Quick kick, on side kick, pop up kick, kick it out  of the end zone, squib kick  and more field goals.  Maybe line him up wide, throw it to him and let him kick it from there.  HaHa!  

Grant Chadwick is a great kicker no doubt about that.  But Tullahoma can't rely on the field goal kicker alone. You're not to going win games with no  passing game., and no running game. It appears to me the Tullahoma coaching staff is on over there heads, if they don't make some changes, a playoff berth looks slim. it should tell people something when Nathan DeLaughter, struggled at Tullahoma, and transferred to Shelbyville and has a much better year for them. 

Edited by SouthernTNguy

As for the Tullahoma vs. Rockvale matchup I caught a bit of the rockets practice tonight while eavesdropping on their band, they have an awesome band, but concerning the football team, I thought they would be bigger.   Pound for pound my edge in the trenches goes to Wildcats on this one.  And it’s really hard to start every offensive drive on your own 20 all night long.  Cats by 6 field goals in this one.  

18 hours ago, SouthernTNguy said:

Grant Chadwick is a great kicker no doubt about that.  But Tullahoma can't rely on the field goal kicker alone. You're not to going win games with no  passing game., and no running game. It appears to me the Tullahoma coaching staff is on over there heads, if they don't make some changes, a playoff berth looks slim. it should tell people something when Nathan DeLaughter, struggled at Tullahoma, and transferred to Shelbyville and has a much better year for them. 

All we have heard is last years bad  season was due to a bunch of young guys.  (They played more than the starters during the championship run. They played the entire second half in most games)  This year what is the excuse?  They have a weak region that they should dominate every team.  If they don't dominate and they miss the playoffs where is the fault then?  

They should do well in region play.  The only team with a winning record from last year in the region was FC 7-3.  They lost a lot of players.

Through Week 2

FC 0-2 Loss to a poor CC team

Tull 1-1 WIn over a poor CC team with 67 yds of offense

Shelby 1-1 Win over Marshall

LC 1-1 with a 1 pt win over Richland

LaC 1-1 with a win over Summertown and loss to Loretto

Columbia 1-1 with a loss to Marshall 16-0  Shelby beat

SH - 0-2  with Loss to MT. Pleasant 

Wow!  Has got to be the worst region in the state.  Might be a 6 way tie for first or Last!

Edited by MountRushmore1