The new Class 5A Region 5

The new Class 5A Region 5 is reuniting rivals who formed District 8-AAA back in the three-classification days, and the Central Tennessee Conference before the playoff system began in 1969.

The outlier is Spring Hill. Missing is Coffee County and Warren County. Both play in Class 6A.

This will be among the weakest 5A regions in the state. 

NON-REGION OPPONENTS
Columbia - Marshall Co., Hunters Lane, Dickson Co., and James Lawson.
Lawrence County - Summertown, Loretto, Cheatham Co., and Giles Co.
Franklin County - Coffee Co., South Pittsburg, Moore Co., and East Hamilton
Lincoln County - Richland, Davidson Academy, Giles Co., and Cookeville
Spring Hill - Summit, Mt. Pleasant, Maplewood, and James Lawson
Shelbyville - Siegel, Marshall Co., Coffee Co., and Wilson Central
Tullahoma - Stewarts Creek, Coffee Co., Rockvale, and Warren Co.

Who is going to make the playoffs from this region?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm assuming 4 teams still get in so I'll go with Lawrence Co, Franklin Co, Tullahoma, and Lincoln Co.

Obviously I'm basing a lot of this on what I saw from last season so teams will look different with players moving in and out. I think it truly will be a battle for the 4th spot.

Spring Hill is the only team that I think is truly out of it based on years past.

Shelbyville had a really good QB last year. Young man just didn't get a lot of time to throw. If their O-line is still as bad, I think they are on the outside looking in. 

Columbia is the true wild card that may squeak into the playoffs. They had 3 wins with one being over Spring Hill and needed OT to beat Dickson Co. The shocking victory was the win over Mount Pleasant. I'm not sure how they pulled that off. Not sure if MP had a ton of injuries or if the Lions just caught lightning in a bottle that night. 

I will say this because the region is expected to be so mediocre it should make for some very fun, exciting games this fall. There's no clear cut favorite and each week should be eye opening. 

I do think most would assume Lawrence Co or Tullahoma is expected to win the region. I'd throw Franklin Co in there, but I was told they lost a ton of talent whether that's true or not. 

Tullahoma will be an interesting team because of their early schedule. They have a TOUGH 3 game stretch before region play begins with two of those contests on the road. Tullahoma could very well be 0-3 going into the Sept 8th game because Stewarts Creek and Rockvale were pretty solid a year ago. We all know the Coffee Pot game will be a battle so if 0-3 happens, will Tullahoma rise to the occasion against Franklin Co? That very first game could potentially be for the region crown. I know that sounds funny but remember back in the 90s when the Tennessee/Florida game was played early in the season but it pretty much determined who won the SEC East? 

I can't wait to get out to the games. Already have some games circled and the new region does make travel a lot easier. 

In closing, I can honestly say I don't know squat about any of these teams in 2023, but it was fun to pretend. ha ha

Thanks for reading.

Good luck to all the teams! Hope everyone has a safe, injury free 2023 season.

On 6/16/2023 at 11:56 AM, ScottShasteen said:

The new Class 5A Region 5 is reuniting rivals who formed District 8-AAA back in the three-classification days, and the Central Tennessee Conference before the playoff system began in 1969.

The outlier is Spring Hill. Missing is Coffee County and Warren County. Both play in Class 6A.

This will be among the weakest 5A regions in the state. 

NON-REGION OPPONENTS
Columbia - Marshall Co., Hunters Lane, Dickson Co., and James Lawson.
Lawrence County - Summertown, Loretto, Cheatham Co., and Giles Co.
Franklin County - Coffee Co., South Pittsburg, Moore Co., and East Hamilton
Lincoln County - Richland, Davidson Academy, Giles Co., and Cookeville
Spring Hill - Summit, Mt. Pleasant, Maplewood, and James Lawson
Shelbyville - Siegel, Marshall Co., Coffee Co., and Wilson Central
Tullahoma - Stewarts Creek, Coffee Co., Rockvale, and Warren Co.

Who is going to make the playoffs from this region?

Love the new district! Glad to be back to the days of 8AAA

Should be some exciting games this year and an interesting run for the district title! 

Go Rebels!

• 3 weeks later...

I realize it was just a scrimmage but Franklin Co (5A) took on Fayetteville (just recently bumped up to 2A) with the Rebels getting clobbered by 4 TDs. I know you have to take scrimmages with a grain of salt, but it was pretty decisive. I thought I overheard that Fayetteville will be scrimmaging Tullahoma too. Be interesting to see if the Wildcats match up any better. 

On 8/4/2023 at 3:47 AM, PercyPeabody said:

I realize it was just a scrimmage but Franklin Co (5A) took on Fayetteville (just recently bumped up to 2A) with the Rebels getting clobbered by 4 TDs. I know you have to take scrimmages with a grain of salt, but it was pretty decisive. I thought I overheard that Fayetteville will be scrimmaging Tullahoma too. Be interesting to see if the Wildcats match up any better. 

Published score from the FC/Fay scrimmage was 26-13.  That seems right based on what I saw watching it.

Tullahoma won their scrimmage with Fay - margin was in the same neighborhood based on what I saw watching it.

1 hour ago, PullinGuard said:

Published score from the FC/Fay scrimmage was 26-13.  That seems right based on what I saw watching it.

Tullahoma won their scrimmage with Fay - margin was in the same neighborhood based on what I saw watching it.

I appreciate the insight. A fellow from Fay had a didn't story about the scrimmage on another thread saying Tullahoma at least competed. I guess it depends on what color glasses you are looking through. Can't wait to see what Tullahoma has in store for Stewarts Creek next Fri. 

17 hours ago, PercyPeabody said:

I appreciate the insight. A fellow from Fay had a didn't story about the scrimmage on another thread saying Tullahoma at least competed. I guess it depends on what color glasses you are looking through. Can't wait to see what Tullahoma has in store for Stewarts Creek next Fri. 

Tullahoma def won the scrimmage, and I can assure you I'm not biased in their favor.  As I explained, I saw two Fay scrimmages in less than a week - that should tell you something about my glasses.

1 minute ago, PullinGuard said:

Tullahoma def won the scrimmage, and I can assure you I'm not biased in their favor.  As I explained, I saw two Fay scrimmages in less than a week - that should tell you something about my glasses.

Understood. So in your opinion is there a huge gap between Tullahoma and Franklin Co based on what you saw in the two scrimmages? 

4 minutes ago, PullinGuard said:

Appreciate a Tigers fan coming over to the 5A Region 5 thread. Good luck to Fayetteville City this year in 2A. 

13 minutes ago, PercyPeabody said:

Understood. So in your opinion is there a huge gap between Tullahoma and Franklin Co based on what you saw in the two scrimmages? 

No, not at all.  The Franklin Co/Fay result was overstated - it wasn't 4 TD's, but rather 2.  Tullahoma went the other way, similar amount.  I know FC had a major piece out for the scrimmage with Fay and I know that Fay had at least one significant guy out for the Tullahoma scrimmage.  I don't know who Tullahoma might've had missing.  There's also the matter of FC having a new coach.  Normally, you'd expect teams with new coaches to be further behind early in camp than teams who have last year's coach, and you imagine that they'll make up ground, relatively speaking.

But these are preseason scrimmages and you can't draw big conclusions.  The two major, glaring differences in Franklin Co and Tullahoma are that FC's passing game is far, far better than Tullahoma's, and Tullahoma's kicking game is just as much better than FC's. 

I didn't see enough from either to hazard a guess as to which will win an actual game.  

Edited by PullinGuard

14 minutes ago, PullinGuard said:

No, not at all.  The Franklin Co/Fay result was overstated - it wasn't 4 TD's, but rather 2.  Tullahoma went the other way, similar amount.  I know FC had a major piece out for the scrimmage with Fay and I know that Fay had at least one significant guy out for the Tullahoma scrimmage.  I don't know who Tullahoma might've had missing.  There's also the matter of FC having a new coach.  Normally, you'd expect teams with new coaches to be further behind early in camp than teams who have last year's coach, and you imagine that they'll make up ground, relatively speaking.

But these are preseason scrimmages and you can't draw big conclusions.  The two major, glaring differences in Franklin Co and Tullahoma are that FC's passing game is far, far better than Tullahoma's, and Tullahoma's kicking game is just as much better than FC's. 

I didn't see enough from either to hazard a guess as to which will win an actual game.  

Appreciate the info. I was curious if the Franklin Co passing attack was up to speed since a colleague of mine said their new coach wanted to sling it more. Again it's just a scrimmage but I'm sure things will get crisper as the season progresses. Can't wait for the season to get rolling. 

19 minutes ago, PercyPeabody said:

Appreciate the info. I was curious if the Franklin Co passing attack was up to speed since a colleague of mine said their new coach wanted to sling it more. Again it's just a scrimmage but I'm sure things will get crisper as the season progresses. Can't wait for the season to get rolling. 

He'd better want to throw it more - that's clearly their strength.  

I am a Fay fan, but not exclusively.  Have some significant interest in this almost reconstituted District 8-AAA as well.  This region is mostly up for grabs - only two winning records from last year, FC and Lawr Co.  

Not sure what is going to happen, at all - all 7 teams only had 23 wins amongst them last year, and 13 were from FC and Lawrence.  There were only maybe 10 wins from outside the teams of this new region, and only a handful or wins against 5A or better opponents (mostly FC wins).  

I'd expect that the bigger schools might rebound more than some of the smaller schools.  Columbia and Shelbyville may overperform expectations.  FC will fall compared to last year in general, but this schedule is a lot easier, too - I'm looking for approx. 0.500 from them.  Tullahoma should improve from last year, but it's hard to compare the schedule - they played in a good region last year, but it was 4A.  Their kicking game will win one or two extra ones for them.  Tennessean predictions notwithstanding, I don't expect much from Lincoln Co.  Hard to say about Lawrence (and I don't know much at all about them), but history suggests it may be tough for them to put together a lot of successful seasons back-to-back.  Have to see it to believe Spring Hill will compete at all.  

Edited by PullinGuard