The new Class 5A Region 5

42 minutes ago, PullinGuard said:

No, not at all.  The Franklin Co/Fay result was overstated - it wasn't 4 TD's, but rather 2.  Tullahoma went the other way, similar amount.  I know FC had a major piece out for the scrimmage with Fay and I know that Fay had at least one significant guy out for the Tullahoma scrimmage.  I don't know who Tullahoma might've had missing.  There's also the matter of FC having a new coach.  Normally, you'd expect teams with new coaches to be further behind early in camp than teams who have last year's coach, and you imagine that they'll make up ground, relatively speaking.

But these are preseason scrimmages and you can't draw big conclusions.  The two major, glaring differences in Franklin Co and Tullahoma are that FC's passing game is far, far better than Tullahoma's, and Tullahoma's kicking game is just as much better than FC's. 

I didn't see enough from either to hazard a guess as to which will win an actual game.  

Fc was missing kai baker and tullahoma had malik out

45 minutes ago, PullinGuard said:

No, not at all.  The Franklin Co/Fay result was overstated - it wasn't 4 TD's, but rather 2.  Tullahoma went the other way, similar amount.  I know FC had a major piece out for the scrimmage with Fay and I know that Fay had at least one significant guy out for the Tullahoma scrimmage.  I don't know who Tullahoma might've had missing.  There's also the matter of FC having a new coach.  Normally, you'd expect teams with new coaches to be further behind early in camp than teams who have last year's coach, and you imagine that they'll make up ground, relatively speaking.

But these are preseason scrimmages and you can't draw big conclusions.  The two major, glaring differences in Franklin Co and Tullahoma are that FC's passing game is far, far better than Tullahoma's, and Tullahoma's kicking game is just as much better than FC's. 

I didn't see enough from either to hazard a guess as to which will win an actual game.  

the city/fc game fc just got dominated in the trenches most of the scrimmage. the skilled positions for fc seem fine but the line didn’t look too good

9 minutes ago, PullinGuard said:

He'd better want to throw it more - that's clearly their strength.  

I am a Fay fan, but not exclusively.  Have some significant interest in this almost reconstituted District 8-AAA as well.  This region is mostly up for grabs - only two winning records from last year, FC and Lawr Co.  

Not sure what is going to happen, at all - all 7 teams only had 23 wins amongst them last year, and 13 were from FC and Lawrence.  There were only maybe 10 wins from outside the teams of this new region, and only a handful or wins against 5A or better opponents (mostly FC wins).  

I'd expect that the bigger schools might rebound more than some of the smaller schools.  Columbia and Shelbyville may overperform expectations.  FC will fall compared to last year in general, but this schedule is a lot easier, too - I'm looking for approx. 0.500 from them.  Tullahoma should improve from last year, but it's hard to compare the schedule - they played in a good region last year, but it was 4A.  Their kicking game will win one or two extra ones for them.  Tennessean predictions notwithstanding, I don't expect much from Lincoln Co.  Hard to say about Lawrence (and I don't know much at all about them), but history suggests it may be tough for them to put together a lot of successful seasons back-to-back.  Have to see it to believe Spring Hill will compete at all.  

I've got ties to several schools in the area so I try to support them all when possible. I've very intrigued with the old rivalries that this new region will provide. The region crown is definitely up for grabs. 

Shelbyville- I saw them play in person last year and was very disappointed. I expected them to be better. The QB had talent but the rest of the offense was lacking. Not sure if their QB was a senior, but he'd be a great returning piece to work with.

Columbia- They were a head scratcher to me. I thought they had more talent than the 3 wins from last year. They should definitely benefit from an easier schedule.

Frankin Co- I think they are a total wild card. Their first region game against Tullahoma will be key. I also find it interesting that little bitty Moore Co scheduled this 5A school for homecoming!!!

Tullahoma- I saw them quite a bit last year. I thought they often had questionable play calling that made things more difficult than they needed to be. I'm hoping their young coach in his second season turns a corner to play to their strengths. 

Spring Hill- As we say in the south..."Bless their hearts". I really hope they find a win somewhere along the way and I do believe they will be competitive against Columbia and Lincoln Co in the region BUT may find a win out of region against James Lawson. 

Lawrence Co- I'm not sure how many they lose from last season but their key to success last year was taking advantage of a weak schedule. They could sustain long drives when needed. If they can play keep away against some of these region opponents, their season could be surprising. 

Lincoln Co- I may be totally wrong on this and will be the first to admit it. I think the Falcons rebound and get wins over Shelbyville, Spring Hill, and Columbia. We will know a lot week one with how they handle 1A Richland at Richland. If that game is a struggle, the boo birds will come out early. 

1 minute ago, PercyPeabody said:

I've got ties to several schools in the area so I try to support them all when possible. I've very intrigued with the old rivalries that this new region will provide. The region crown is definitely up for grabs. 

Shelbyville- I saw them play in person last year and was very disappointed. I expected them to be better. The QB had talent but the rest of the offense was lacking. Not sure if their QB was a senior, but he'd be a great returning piece to work with.

Columbia- They were a head scratcher to me. I thought they had more talent than the 3 wins from last year. They should definitely benefit from an easier schedule.

Frankin Co- I think they are a total wild card. Their first region game against Tullahoma will be key. I also find it interesting that little bitty Moore Co scheduled this 5A school for homecoming!!!

Tullahoma- I saw them quite a bit last year. I thought they often had questionable play calling that made things more difficult than they needed to be. I'm hoping their young coach in his second season turns a corner to play to their strengths. 

Spring Hill- As we say in the south..."Bless their hearts". I really hope they find a win somewhere along the way and I do believe they will be competitive against Columbia and Lincoln Co in the region BUT may find a win out of region against James Lawson. 

Lawrence Co- I'm not sure how many they lose from last season but their key to success last year was taking advantage of a weak schedule. They could sustain long drives when needed. If they can play keep away against some of these region opponents, their season could be surprising. 

Lincoln Co- I may be totally wrong on this and will be the first to admit it. I think the Falcons rebound and get wins over Shelbyville, Spring Hill, and Columbia. We will know a lot week one with how they handle 1A Richland at Richland. If that game is a struggle, the boo birds will come out early. 

i think lincoln county may surprise people this year but i could be completely wrong

29 minutes ago, City223 said:

i think lincoln county may surprise people this year but i could be completely wrong

I could imagine it (Tennessean must've had something to base their prediction on), but just don't have much info to back it up.  

What is their QB situation going to be like?  I know last year, their QB1 was quite a bit better than QB2, and they both graduated.  So, I'm suspicious that's going to be a problem unless they have a good transfer or something.  Being really limited at QB would be a problem for a team who probably won't have a big number of serious athletes/powerful running attack, or a dominant defense, imo.

Edited by PullinGuard

6 minutes ago, PullinGuard said:

I could imagine it (Tennessean must've had something to base their prediction on), but just don't have much info to back it up.  

What is their QB situation going to be like?  I know last year, their QB1 was quite a bit better than QB2, and they both graduated.  So, I'm suspicious that's going to be a problem unless they have a good transfer or something.  Being really limited at QB would be a problem for a team who probably won't have a big number of serious athletes/powerful running attack, or a dominant defense, imo.

I'm not sure what the Tennessean predicted but they may be giving the Falcons the benefit of the doubt by default due to such a weak region. What did the Tennessean predict if you don't mind saying? 

59 minutes ago, PullinGuard said:

sophomore maddox franklin will be qb1 and there’s some hype going around about him. rb hunter hammons returns too and he’ll be a big part of their run game

1 hour ago, PercyPeabody said:

I'm not sure what the Tennessean predicted but they may be giving the Falcons the benefit of the doubt by default due to such a weak region. What did the Tennessean predict if you don't mind saying? 

Predicted Lincoln Co to win the Region.  Don't remember the rest of the order - think they had FC about 4th.  

59 minutes ago, City223 said:

sophomore maddox franklin will be qb1 and there’s some hype going around about him. rb hunter hammons returns too and he’ll be a big part of their run game

Thanks, checked out some clips on him - looks like he has some talent and is working hard. 

With that said, I only saw about 3 Sr's listed on the online roster.  Now, those are often wrong, but if they have fewer than even 10 Sr's, that's normally a problem for teams.

Edited by PullinGuard

1 hour ago, PullinGuard said:

Thanks, checked out some clips on him - looks like he has some talent and is working hard. 

With that said, I only saw about 3 Sr's listed on the online roster.  Now, those are often wrong, but if they have fewer than even 10 Sr's, that's normally a problem for teams.

They’re a really young team but with the way the rest of the region looks they have a good shot. they have some athletes in the younger classes

21 minutes ago, PercyPeabody said:

Wow! Must be some Adam Schefter like inside info for that prediction. I guess if the youth movement matures quickly with the talent, they have just a good of chance as any. 

i think lc has a good chance to take it. it’ll be nice to see the jamboree tomorrow to see how they played compared to tullahoma and fc