Rick Rice New Football Coach @ McEwen

howdoitknow

Eric Pullen resigned and today Rick Rice was named the Warriors new leader.  

It kind of reminded me of when Matt McConnell’s reign ended at Waverly after leading the Tigers football program from 2014-2018.  The moment that Randall Boldin won the Class 1A State Championship at Whitwell in 2018 you just felt that his supporters from his hometown in Waverly would start calling out his name at every sign of struggle after one of their own had won a gold ball at another small school.  Waverly had reached the semifinals twice during McConnell’s run and it just seemed like expectations would have been a “win it all like Boldin did or it’s not good enough” type of scenario.  

It was about to be the same type of scenario for Coach Pullen at McEwen because of the amount of success that Coach Rice has had for three plus decades.  I am sure that it felt like a “no win” situation and he went ahead and moved on for that reason.  

I hope that Coach Rice does well and wins big at his alma mater.  It’s definitely no fault of his and he shouldn’t be made to feel guilty for wanting to end his legendary career at his alma mater.  I am sure that McEwen football fans are excited about what the season holds in store.  

I’ve known Coach Pullen for a long time and hope that he is at peace with his decision.  I know that it had to be difficult.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

Eric Pullen resigned and today Rick Rice was named the Warriors new leader.  

It kind of reminded me of when Matt McConnell’s reign ended at Waverly after leading the Tigers football program from 2014-2018.  The moment that Randall Boldin won the Class 1A State Championship at Whitwell in 2018 you just felt that his supporters from his hometown in Waverly would start calling out his name at every sign of struggle after one of their own had won a gold ball at another small school.  Waverly had reached the semifinals twice during McConnell’s run and it just seemed like expectations would have been a “win it all like Boldin did or it’s not good enough” type of scenario.  

It was about to be the same type of scenario for Coach Pullen at McEwen because of the amount of success that Coach Rice has had for three plus decades.  I am sure that it felt like a “no win” situation and he went ahead and moved on for that reason.  

I hope that Coach Rice does well and wins big at his alma mater.  It’s definitely no fault of his and he shouldn’t be made to feel guilty for wanting to end his legendary career at his alma mater.  I am sure that McEwen football fans are excited about what the season holds in store.  

I’ve known Coach Pullen for a long time and hope that he is at peace with his decision.  I know that it had to be difficult.  

sounds like Pullen was forced out.  No coach resigns right before the season unless strange circumstances have occurred. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, FootballFan2023 said:

Seems Pullen probably was bullied out. Dickson County didn't hire Coach Rice last year. He has to move in with his mom so going to McEwen was his hope. Coach Rice has been planning on getting the HC job at McEwen since March. Need to be questions asked. And what do the principal,  superintendent, and others know? Coach Rice has made some very serious comments about Coach Pullen that need to be addressed. 

I personally and everyone in Mcewen but about 5 or 6 people don’t care how he got the job. Should have been a coaching change years ago. 

Edited by Orangefanallday

7 hours ago, FootballFan2023 said:

Seems Pullen probably was bullied out. Dickson County didn't hire Coach Rice last year. He has to move in with his mom so going to McEwen was his hope. Coach Rice has been planning on getting the HC job at McEwen since March. Need to be questions asked. And what do the principal,  superintendent, and others know? Coach Rice has made some very serious comments about Coach Pullen that need to be addressed. 

I don't know about the alleged comments. I know Coach Pullen had a great playing career at McEwen and then on then on to College.  I can say they sometimes don't translate to the coaching side. There is more to it. Let it go. Move on.

12 hours ago, FootballFan2023 said:

Where do these t posters come from? He has to move in with his mom. What kind of garbage is that to put on the T. Whether its true or not. What a comment. You must be really hurting inside.

Coach Rice is the better coach . Best coaching hire Mcewen has ever had . At the end of the day it’s a business . Doesn’t matter how the coaching change happens  . They had one of the best players in school history the last 4 years and did nothing with it . Last season was majorly disappointing. 

40 minutes ago, west10EZ said:

Coach Rice is the better coach . Best coaching hire Mcewen has ever had . At the end of the day it’s a business . Doesn’t matter how the coaching change happens  . They had one of the best players in school history the last 4 years and did nothing with it . Last season was majorly disappointing. 

I agree 100% When Pullen got the job Nolan was done pretty dirty. I seen more adjustments and offensive formations last night than I ever have at a Mcewen game. It was time for a change. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FootballFan2023 said:

Seems, people don't want the truths of what is going on with the football business at McEwen High School told. Keep taking down the posts even though the inappropriate words were deleted as told. 

The truth is the program has took more steps forward the last few weeks than it did the last 10 years.