2023 TSSAA Single A Volleyball Thread

Rockstar89

Region 5A results:

Harpeth defeats Waverly 3-0 (25-19, 26-24, 25-19)

Camden defeats Merrol Hyde 3-2 (25-19, 26-24, 20-25, 19-25, 15-9)

Harpeth defeats Camden 3-0 (25-15, 25-15, 25-17)

Sectionals:

Harpeth vs. Summertown Thursday at Harpeth

Camden vs. Loretto Thursday at Loretto

Edited by Rockstar89

On 10/3/2023 at 11:27 PM, MustangFanForLife said:

Sounds like you need to change your screen name to Eagles fan. Some Mustang fan you are. Great support. 

As big a Mustang fan as you’ll ever be. Realism is not a bad thing. Seen it too many times. She’s good. Really good. And I have no doubt that she could’ve taken Loretto teams from the past and run through Summertown and the rest of the state. Want Loretto to win any time they play, but have seen enough to know she’s taken less talented teams and beat us more than a few times. He did make a change for the better the other night so maybe he’s learning. Still think we should be running a 5-1 instead of a 6-2. Have some situational rotations that cause concern. 

1 hour ago, 1MustangFan said:

As big a Mustang fan as you’ll ever be. Realism is not a bad thing. Seen it too many times. She’s good. Really good. And I have no doubt that she could’ve taken Loretto teams from the past and run through Summertown and the rest of the state. Want Loretto to win any time they play, but have seen enough to know she’s taken less talented teams and beat us more than a few times. He did make a change for the better the other night so maybe he’s learning. Still think we should be running a 5-1 instead of a 6-2. Have some situational rotations that cause concern. 

I guess that's why you aren't the Coach. Coach Kelly and Coach Quillen are both great coaches and if you were as big of a Loretto fan as you claim, you would support the Coaches you have and celebrate the success they bring. Kudos to him and his sister for the success they have brought to the program. Can't wait to see the continued success in the future years! Good luck tomorrow night Lady Mustangs!

48 minutes ago, MustangFanForLife said:

Memphis Middle College has forfeit their sectional match with Milan so they will go to State by default. 

Has happened several times with the far west teams. Meanwhile, a couple of really good teams will sit at home :-( 

Edited by Rockstar89

18 minutes ago, MustangFanForLife said:

Exactly. I don't know what the fix is, but something needs to change. 

We have the same conversation every year it seems. The west teams are so weak and get to state and lose their two games quickly, while others that could compete sit at home because a couple of the Regions are stacked. That's kinda luck of the draw and understand it... but the thing that is hard to understand is that I know of at least two other times where a single A west team (that wasn't great) got an automatic berth in the state tournament without playing a game. That should not be the case. Don't know what this fix is either. 

Harpeth gets to state for the first time since 2019 by defeating Summertown 3-1. If my stats are correct Summertown has only missed state twice in the last 15 years.

Loretto no problem with Camden. 

Big surprise that Eagleville will stay at home after a great season…got swept by East Robertson. 

No surprise with Sale Creek and South Greene getting the easy wins. 

CSAS return for the 2nd year in a row

Milan in with the forfeit and no result yet for the other west team  

6 hours ago, Rockstar89 said:

Harpeth gets to state for the first time since 2019 by defeating Summertown 3-1. If my stats are correct Summertown has only missed state twice in the last 15 years.

Big surprise that Eagleville will stay at home after a great season…got swept by East Robertson. 

7 hours ago, Rockstar89 said:

Every team fights through injuries at some point during the grind of the season. Eagleville’s battle just happened at tournament time.

Arguably their best two players were severely hobbled by ankle injuries heading into this week. Their Senior setter and Junior OS. I heard/read that they had an 8th grader, 2 freshmen, and a sophomore setter in their main rotation during the Region and sectional games.

I watched the East Rob stream and will say that East Rob played very well especially defensively. They earned their trip to Mirfreesboro.

On 10/11/2023 at 11:50 AM, MustangFanForLife said:

I guess that's why you aren't the Coach. Coach Kelly and Coach Quillen are both great coaches and if you were as big of a Loretto fan as you claim, you would support the Coaches you have and celebrate the success they bring. Kudos to him and his sister for the success they have brought to the program. Can't wait to see the continued success in the future years! Good luck tomorrow night Lady Mustangs!

Haha. Loretto had success in volleyball before they arrived. Realizing we’ve come up short when we shouldn’t have is not a bad thing. Loretto wins because their teams are super talented and hard working. Schematically, we’ve had issues. Again, giving him his due, the move to play Sophie more was a good one. She’s an upgrade at that spot. And I seen many years where we were the more talented team and lost. In those years it comes down to coaching and scheme and we got outperformed in those areas. Doesn’t make Nick a bad guy. And he’s young. Maybe he’s learned from it. 
I do hope they win it all. Ezell and Ally are exceptional. AK, Becca and Corbin are really good. Have some really good, talented players.