Carthage @ Gordonsville

TheBlueprint

This may be hard to believe for some but, most older Gordonsville people don’t call Smith Co “ Carthage” to piss them off or to offend anyone. That’s what it was when we were coming up and it’s just a hard habit to break. Same as us sometimes calling Trousdale “Hartsville” or Clay County “Celina”. I don’t know when it became so offensive but it has caused people now to do it purposefully to agitate. I’m honestly tired of hearing about it from both sides. This game draws a big crowd and you get bragging rights for a year but it’s not a region game therefor it’s not anywhere close to one of the most important games either team plays. I just hope it’s an injury free game and the team that wants it the most wins. Good luck to everyone!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Facts100 said:

This may be hard to believe for some but, most older Gordonsville people don’t call Smith Co “ Carthage” to piss them off or to offend anyone. That’s what it was when we were coming up and it’s just a hard habit to break. Same as us sometimes calling Trousdale “Hartsville” or Clay County “Celina”. I don’t know when it became so offensive but it has caused people now to do it purposefully to agitate. I’m honestly tired of hearing about it from both sides. This game draws a big crowd and you get bragging rights for a year but it’s not a region game therefor it’s not anywhere close to one of the most important games either team plays. I just hope it’s an injury free game and the team that wants it the most wins. Good luck to everyone!

I'm with you in hoping for an injury free game. My son tore his ACL in this game two years ago, and I don't want that for anyone else, regardless of it being a region game or not.

It's very possible that this will be a region game in a few years, and the stakes in this game will be increased exponentially, along with the hype.

As far as calling them "Carthage," it wasn't meant as a slight til they started being so offended by it. That makes one want to use it even more. 

Either way, I look forward to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Facts100 said:

On this side of the river it had to be “Carthage”. My grandad made it very clear to me that it was not Smith County. he grew up and went to school in the time where it was Carthage High School. He said it never sat right with him that it was called Smith County High School when it wasn’t the only one in the county. Just my 2 cents on it

but it does make it a little better that offense is taken by it haha 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 10:26 PM, Roooster said:

On this side of the river it had to be “Carthage”. My grandad made it very clear to me that it was not Smith County. he grew up and went to school in the time where it was Carthage High School. He said it never sat right with him that it was called Smith County High School when it wasn’t the only one in the county. Just my 2 cents on it

but it does make it a little better that offense is taken by it haha 

That argument ( 2 schools) would seem to indicate that Gordonsville  would like to be called Smith County Highschool. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Reynard said:

That argument ( 2 schools) would seem to indicate that Gordonsville  would like to be called Smith County Highschool. 

I don’t know a single person on this side of the river that would like to be called Smith County High School. Hickman High School maybe. Just my honest opinion.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Reynard said:

Not saying that at all. One school shouldn’t get the name Smith County High School when there are 2 schools. It should still be Gordonsville high school and Carthage high school