Sequoyah @ Sweetwater 8/18

Yeti

12 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I'm pulling for them to get some things going in a different direction. I watched the first half of that scrimmage and it was 27 to 6. Their last Drive before the half was really the only time they did anything and I'm not sure if WB didn't have in a handful of second teamers.

Sequoyah did alright considering WB is a much bigger school. It would have been a bigger eye opener if they had competed better honestly. I do appreciate the insight though Barney

11 hours ago, SHSguru said:

Sequoyah will not win, won’t be close. Sweetwater is still figuring things out offensively but they are very good defensively. Sequoyah will be lucky to score. 38-6 wildcats!

From what I've read and have spoken to others that have seen them, Sweetwater has a potent run game with little to no passing game to speak of. I heard they were fair to average defensively. That about right or am I off the mark? Again I'm speaking from hearsay. 

6 hours ago, SHSguru said:

Absolutely not, no affiliation to any kid out there. Just what I’ve seen! Just a graduate a long time ago who loves high school football

Glad to see a Sweetwater poster this year. :thumb:

3 hours ago, Yeti said:

From what I've read and have spoken to others that have seen them, Sweetwater has a potent run game with little to no passing game to speak of. I heard they were fair to average defensively. That about right or am I off the mark? Again I'm speaking from hearsay. 

Glad to see a Sweetwater poster this year. :thumb:

Very good running game, powerful line and powerful backs. The freshman qb is gonna be good but he is still a freshman, he has threw some good passes but made some mistakes as well. He’s gotten better each time out but there’s no secret we will rely on our ground game. The defense I would say is a little above average, we will put a lot of pressure on the qb and we stop the run very well. If there’s a solid qb with a passing attack it can give us a little trouble but we aren’t terrible on the back end either. 

One thing I noticed about Sequoyah that needs major attention is the kicking game. Every phase of it was horrible and that plays a major part of any game. They would be better off to go get some girl off their soccer team than the mess I saw against WB. That is so important and some coaches treat it like a charity raffle. A poor kicking game can keep your back against the wall the whole game long.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

One thing I noticed about Sequoyah that needs major attention is the kicking game. Every phase of it was horrible and that plays a major part of any game. They would be better off to go get some girl off their soccer team than the mess I saw against WB. That is so important and some coaches treat it like a charity raffle. A poor kicking game can keep your back against the wall the whole game long.

Kickers are like Unicorns from what I've seen over the years. Usually the teams with kickers have a soccer team. Pretty sure Sequoyah has a soccer team.

1 hour ago, SHSguru said:

Very good running game, powerful line and powerful backs. The freshman qb is gonna be good but he is still a freshman, he has threw some good passes but made some mistakes as well. He’s gotten better each time out but there’s no secret we will rely on our ground game. The defense I would say is a little above average, we will put a lot of pressure on the qb and we stop the run very well. If there’s a solid qb with a passing attack it can give us a little trouble but we aren’t terrible on the back end either. 

That's good to hear. How good do you think you are comparative to last year? Last year you had a really good team. 

Edited by Yeti

48 minutes ago, Yeti said:

That's good to hear. How good do you think you are comparative to last year? Last year you had a really good team. 

Similar defensively, offense will be wear you down grind it out. I don’t see us blowing many ppl out besides maybe Sequoyah. I see best case 8-2 worst case 6-4

39 minutes ago, Yeti said:

Kickers are like Unicorns from what I've seen over the years. Usually the teams with kickers have a soccer team. Pretty sure Sequoyah has a soccer team.

Maryville had a super good punter in 2021 and after he was gone we must of gave up a mile in field position the following year. You can sure feel it once you lose a good one.

5 minutes ago, SHSguru said:

Similar defensively, offense will be wear you down grind it out. I don’t see us blowing many ppl out besides maybe Sequoyah. I see best case 8-2 worst case 6-4

Should be a fair to good year then. Good to be realistic like that as well. 

On 8/14/2023 at 12:26 PM, Highlights said:

Wildcats are a one dimensional team. They have a great offensive line and great RBs. They are hurting at the QB position with a starting sophomore and a freshman backup. No passing game whatsoever. This may be the year for the Chiefs to win. 

GREAT??Not so sure about that,didn't look great a couple weeks ago.I think this will be a tight contest.

• Like 1