BA has some issues …..

QuickStrike

I have not posted on this board in over 15 years. I even forgot my password and had to ask for a new one. But I had to stroll over here because I have followed high school football and sports in general in this town for a long time and I was 100% certain there was going to be some activity over here about this subject.

I watched the game on TV and I watched it closely. And that was absolutely the WORST defensive BA football team that I have ever seen. Most of what I am talking about is pure coaching and is correctable. The technique is awful and there are no adjustments whatsoever. I have heard that this new coach was supposed to be a "defensive guru". I question that title.

In speaking to those in the BA community, they all wanted one particular coach who had BA roots and BA was too chicken to make the hire. Shame on them but you reap what you sow. Had they made that hire, the place would be united and the money would have poured in. The sad news is it is going to get worse before it gets any better from what those with BA ties tell me. Sounds like BA needs a clean out and refresh.

Edited by JohnJacob

I posted this quote on a D2 board two years ago and everything in this is true:

"After browsing on T for a while, I saw this post and felt compelled to make an account. I have been in the loop about what goes on at BA on the inside for over 10 years now for various reasons. The reason that BA has had players transferring over the last few years, is that the administration/Board of Trustees and headmaster have decided to start moving the school in a way that will negatively affect the school going forward athletically, especially in football. The days of BA getting guys like King Dunlap, Derek Barnett, CJ Sanders, Jalen Ramsey, Ryan Carruthers, Brandon Adams, and the long list of current and former D1 explosive athletes, are likely over for BA, at least for the foreseeable future. This started right before Ralph Potter left, but really ramped up when Coach Ab and Coach Pittman left the school, and the team is just now feeling the affects of this as it takes several seasons before these effects hit. The great teams BA had from 2015-2018 and even before that were essentially guys that came in from the UNA/Brentwood Blaze pipeline and mostly mix of working class families and wealthy families. BA recently has started to stray away from that among other things, and has led to things such as losing to CPA and Briarcrest, as well as not making playoffs in 2019. None of those things were even a possibility in previous years at the school simply due to the talent level alone on the team and other things". 

On top of what is mentioned in previous post, there is several more examples in last yr or two. This season is embarrassing for a program of that caliber, and Kurt Masters has lost the school and BOT. The decline of the program started almost a decade ago with several of the key pieces to the staff leaving. IK many alumni that are upset at the result of hiring a sub-par out of state coach that has no idea what he got himself into. At the end of the day there is absolutely no excuse for losing to who they have lost too and being 1-4 on top of having a legitimate 5 star qb and several other high level players. The headmaster of this school and his pride will be the downfall of this program if something does not change and soon!!

Facts that back up your point, 6one5, from my BA friends:

1. Basically, almost every single head coach has been replaced or left in the past 16-18 months except girls basketball and swimming. Oh, no. Nothing to see here. Nothing at all.

2. 13 kids on the CPA football roster have at least one parent who went to BA or a long standing BA tie from the past. Hmmm. Pure coincidence I am sure. 

3. Cody White was the smartest one in the room. He left a job last winter at BA without having another job yet. No coach does that. He 100% knew what was coming even with a 5 star QB for two more years. Think about that for a minute. 

Edited by JohnJacob

1 hour ago, JohnJacob said:

Facts that back up your point, 6one5, from my BA friends:

1. Basically, almost every single head coach has been replaced or left in the past 16-18 months except girls basketball and swimming. Oh, no. Nothing to see here. Nothing at all.

2. 13 kids on the CPA football roster have at least one parent who went to BA or a long standing BA tie from the past. Hmmm. Pure coincidence I am sure. 

3. Cody White was the smartest one in the room. He left a job last winter at BA without having another job yet. No coach does that. He 100% knew what was coming even with a 5 star QB for two more years. Think about that for a minute. 

It's not just athletics...the school has seen unbelievable employee turnover in the last 3 years...90+ new employees in that time frame...the staff used to be stuffed full of alumni teachers/coaches, usually around 30 or so alumni have worked there in most years...I believe they are at or below 10 now...it's a completely different place...all of this at the headmaster's feet 

Edited by matt86
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, matt86 said:

It's not just athletics...the school has seen unbelievable employee turnover in the last 3 years...90+ new employees in that time frame...the staff used to be stuffed full of alumni teachers/coaches, usually around 30 or so alumni have worked there in most years...I believe they are at or below 10 now...it's a completely different place...all of this at the headmaster's feet 

Bingo…..

Masters will be at the Nashville airport at winter break.  

58 minutes ago, 3DayWknd said:

Indulge me. The Headmaster who oversaw the school's glory days is still there and is the same person who has run everyone (coaches, players, alumni) off?

Just a hunch that the headmaster at BA has the Board of Trust in his back pocket and they have blessed his every move!  This is definitely not the BA of past years and as a true outsider I see the man ruining what was once a proud tradition of both academics and athletics.  I have watched this scene play out at multiple independent schools across the southeast.  Only one school that I am aware of does not have this issue.  They have a BOT of around fifty members but within that BOT is an executive committee of four or five individuals that truly run the school.  The executive committee has no members that are not “old school” alumni.  AKA the members of the executive committee will openly tell everyone that if they are not happy there are no fences keeping them at the school and they are welcome to leave at any time.  

Edited by cbg

If everything is in such bad shape how did they attract TT Hill, Shavar Young, and Easton Jointer to the school and program? A little adversity never hurt anyone and the sun will come up tomorrow, but I just don't understand how an organization that appears to have stability at the top all of a sudden seems to have adults (teachers and coaches per other posters) leaving at such a high rate. I read the article from a few years ago about a beloved teacher leaving but that doesn't signal to me some radical shift by a school. 

For the players sake, I hope they finish strong. Underclassmen have at least another year to enjoy some success.

4 hours ago, 3DayWknd said:

If everything is in such bad shape how did they attract TT Hill, Shavar Young, and Easton Jointer to the school and program? A little adversity never hurt anyone and the sun will come up tomorrow, but I just don't understand how an organization that appears to have stability at the top all of a sudden seems to have adults (teachers and coaches per other posters) leaving at such a high rate. I read the article from a few years ago about a beloved teacher leaving but that doesn't signal to me some radical shift by a school. 

For the players sake, I hope they finish strong. Underclassmen have at least another year to enjoy some success.

If you were a talented football player and knew that a 5 star QB was going to be on the roster and that 5 star QB's games/game film were going to be looked at by almost every major program in the country,   then you would be interested in such a school (because then you would be getting looks as well). Not that hard to figure out. 

Edited by JohnJacob
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1