Covington at Dyersburg: September 1, 2023

Covington has a QB who can pass the ball effectively. Last week vs. Brighton, with just seconds left in the first half, Braden Gover hit Deverell with a 59 yard scoring pass. That ball was caught about the 10 yard line, as I recall, so was about 49 yards in the air. Perfect throw. But, the Chargers only threw the ball 9 times all game. 

Throwing a lot of passes is just not in the Charger game plan.

1 minute ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Covington has a QB who can pass the ball effectively. Last week vs. Brighton, with just seconds left in the first half, Braden Gover hit Deverell with a 59 yard scoring pass. That ball was caught about the 10 yard line, as I recall, so was about 49 yards in the air. Perfect throw. But, the Chargers only threw the ball 9 times all game. 

I wish they would add more!! I know the run is their bread & butter but they seem to have the weapons this year. They have had them in the past but just couldn't ever commit to it. I am a firm believer of "if it aint broke, don't fix it" but,,, it usually isn't broke until semis or championship. 

13 hours ago, mg said:

1. Covington QB can sling it;  will Kirby surprise Dyersburg and take the reigns off his QB?

2. Heard a lot about how good Dyersburg is up front on D,  but it seems like both DC and Lake County QB stayed upright with not much pressure?  Has Stowe been playing the “fox” with the D?  Has Stowe held the dogs back in the first two games to maybe surprise the Chargers by taking them off the chain and getting pressure on the QB?

If Dyersburg D is able to get pressure, all night, on the QB, then I will take the Trojans 28-14.  

Massey has Covington 28 Dyersburg 21.  I suspect strength of schedule plays heavy in that algorithm!

4 hours ago, mg said:

Massey has Covington 28 Dyersburg 21.  I suspect strength of schedule plays heavy in that algorithm!

I saw that. But, on the other hand, the Sonny-Moore power rankings show Dyersburg at 113.98 and Covington at 112.61. The difference is 1 point, but you have to give the Trojans 2 points for home field advantage, making them a three point favorite. 

I expect a close game. However, turnovers and penalties by either team could change that. It’s likely that the team that makes fewer mistakes will get the win.

7 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Charger fan, is Steve Holt still doing the PA? I know he was doing sports reporting for the Leader.  He is a good guy great Charger fan.

Edited by mg

2 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I saw that. But, on the other hand, the Sonny-Moore power rankings show Dyersburg at 113.98 and Covington at 112.61. The difference is 1 point, but you have to give the Trojans 2 points for home field advantage, making them a three point favorite. 

I expect a close game. However, turnovers and penalties by either team could change that. It’s likely that the team that makes fewer mistakes will get the win.

SM poll is pure garbage. You'd be better off going old school witch doctor style...throwing chicken bones on the ground.:rolleyes:

Witch Doctor GIFs | Tenor

Now, here's how this game goes......

Covington better bring a couple of Energizer Bunnies....just to have enough spark to get back on the bus after the beatdown their going to get!:thumb: 

Keep Going Never Stop GIF by Energizer Bunny - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCsportsfan said:

SM poll is pure garbage. You'd be better off going old school witch doctor style...throwing chicken bones on the ground.:rolleyes:

Witch Doctor GIFs | Tenor

Now, here's how this game goes......

Covington better bring a couple of Energizer Bunnies....just to have enough spark to get back on the bus after the beatdown their going to get!:thumb: 

Keep Going Never Stop GIF by Energizer Bunny - Find & Share on GIPHY

Dang! Being an F5 fan, You sure are following these little ole West Tenn. teams mighty close!! LOL

4 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

He’s keeping an eye on teams they may see in Chattanooga. 

LOL, If either team don't pass the ball more than they have been it won't be ether of them. I love my Chargers but come on. 9 pass attempts. That won't get it anymore.  

Stowe and Kirby are going to run the football regardless, passing the football is not what has made them so successful in their careers. Being able to run the football and play good defense is always the key to a successful team, a great passing game is just an added bonus. Dyersburg will win this game and win Region 7-3A in the process. At home, playing a team that had your number twice last season, with a large majority of your team returning just smells like a revenge win to me! It will be one heck of a battle though. Can't wait to get to Dyersburg and watch this one Friday! :thumb:

1 hour ago, SuperBowlKid1489 said:

Stowe and Kirby are going to run the football regardless, passing the football is not what has made them so successful in their careers. Being able to run the football and play good defense is always the key to a successful team, a great passing game is just an added bonus. Dyersburg will win this game and win Region 7-3A in the process. At home, playing a team that had your number twice last season, with a large majority of your team returning just smells like a revenge win to me! It will be one heck of a battle though. Can't wait to get to Dyersburg and watch this one Friday! :thumb:

Just to clarify, i am not against a run heavy offense, just more than 9 pass attempts in a game. You can pass the ball more than that and still be run heavy. Yes, both have been very successful with their preferred offense but the Chargers have yet to win a gold ball and D-burg has yet to win the semis. Lets face the facts, neither team (no matter the hype) will get past Alcoa (possibly not even semis)  with their style of offense unless a team is just unbelievably stacked, which i highly doubt either team is that stacked. I wish both teams the best! I know it will be a battle! I do feel that one of these teams will be in the semis at least. 

Dyersburg is deservedly hyped but Covington will be Covington. 

Go Chargers!