Collinwood @ Cornersville

dawgswin

11 minutes ago, GeneralForrest said:

All week Cornersville fans told us how they were so much more than Franklin.  Other than #9, they weren't.  

Franklin was slow to get up after every play from the 2nd quarter on. It was malpractice to play him as much as they did. He could've gotten badly hurt. 

Cornersville needs to let #9 make more plays with his legs kid plays with a motor. They also need to get #7 and #8 more involved in the offense can’t be a one trick pony.

1 hour ago, PercyPeabody said:

So new coaches, new philosophy, same results

The more things change the more they stay the same 

i wouldnt go that far. i just think its impossible to become world beaters in a single season. even with Forrests 2019 team, we werent very good at closing out gams in 17 and 18. we had talent, a couple nice wins (i think we mercy ruled fayetteville by half in 18), but we also blew several leads in 17 (columbia academy, watertown, fayetteville, BGA) and flat out got annihilated in 18 a bunch of times (BGA, watertown, columbia academy), but we held our own against a great waverly team in 18. i think 32-19 was the final and even the waverly fans said we had something going into 2019. 

it takes time. sorry for the history lesson but i have seen all this a million times. cornersville by years end could be a playoff factor if they stay healthy. i mean 1st or 2nd round. not semis or anything.  

58 minutes ago, GeneralForrest said:

i wouldnt go that far. i just think its impossible to become world beaters in a single season. even with Forrests 2019 team, we werent very good at closing out gams in 17 and 18. we had talent, a couple nice wins (i think we mercy ruled fayetteville by half in 18), but we also blew several leads in 17 (columbia academy, watertown, fayetteville, BGA) and flat out got annihilated in 18 a bunch of times (BGA, watertown, columbia academy), but we held our own against a great waverly team in 18. i think 32-19 was the final and even the waverly fans said we had something going into 2019. 

it takes time. sorry for the history lesson but i have seen all this a million times. cornersville by years end could be a playoff factor if they stay healthy. i mean 1st or 2nd round. not semis or anything.  

I don't mind the history lesson. I was saying (like you) I don't believe they'll be world beaters as some had mentioned (or hoped). I feel they will probably lose to Richland, Moore Co, and Eagleville so that would put them at 6-4 in best case scenario. A couple of other games left on the schedule are toss ups so things could go downhill in a hurry. I've never had anything against Cornersville so I hope they do figure it out and get things rollin'. 

On 8/28/2023 at 10:11 AM, Mooreboy3 said:

Collinwood is very hard hitting!! We played them the first game of the season. Their linebackers will hammer you!!

Collinwood has traditionally always been the opposite of finesse. Maybe not that athletic at times, but almost always hard hitting. I guess the General is hitting the bottle again. 

• Like 2

On 8/28/2023 at 10:08 AM, GeneralForrest said:

be more specific. you always got time for your kid to recover, and the heat and conditions applied to both teams. so you lost because of conditioning?

Every team everywhere were dealing with the same heat...it sucked but we had our kids taking in extra electrolytes all week prior to the game with Community because we knew it was going to be rough. And like most 1A schools, most of our players play both sides, and most special teams. it is hard for sure, but very important to keep the kids well hydrated at least 3 days b4. It should be a little cooler this Friday though. And I am with you General, conditioning is key especially here in the hot muggy south.

This one is not going to be a walk in the park. Collinwood returns many of last year's players and are noticeably bigger than last year. 

Keys to winning:

1. O line will have to play much better and will be challenged. Collinwood bringing one down lineman and everyone else is standing up. Going to be a challenge identifying which LB is coming. This could pose problems for us. If we can identify and make the blocks, I think this is the key to winning this game. If not, going to be a long night for #9. 

2. Cornersville has to get Ben the ball early and often. He needs to be established so Collinwood starts cheating to open up the plays for everyone else. It's one thing to know he is getting the ball, it's a different story to actually have to stop him. If they can do this, #7 and #9 should have big plays out the backside to compliment the big hard runs Ben will give us. 

3. We have to be able to get some sort of passing game. We are a run team, but according to Hudl game recaps between the first 2 games we have 2 yards passing. We must be able to make teams pay a few times in the game for loading the box. 

I am predicting the Dawgs pull it off by 1 touchdown. 21 - 14. 

Go Dawgs! Praying for injury free game for both sides! 

Heck of a game. Old school Cwood football. Cwood was very physical and held Franklin in check. Forced the dogs to throw the ball. Cwood had the ball inside the ten twice and came away with zero points. The Trojans threw the ball maybe five times. One of which was 45 yard bomb to the wideout for the first score of the game. Trojans looked to be in better shape and just more physical.