Maryville State Champs Again

Guest biggunz

Maryvilles success starts with our youth league coaches.

Joey Winders Maryville Southerners coach 9-10 year olds

Don Sentell Maryville Rebs Coach 11-12 year olds

Ricky Maples Maryville Cubs coach 9-10 year olds

Danny Maples Maryville Bears coach 11-12 year olds

Those 4 guys have been coaching for over 20 years. Sentell has coached for over 35 years. All 4 guys do a great job.

Middle School does a good job also. I noticed the middle school runs the same offense the high school runs.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I THINK COACHING WAS THE KEY TO THIS GAME. ANYBODY THAT WOULD CALL AN ONSIDE KICK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FOURTH QUARTER WITH EVERYTHING TO LOSE IS PRETTY GUTTY TO ME, THATS GOOD COACHING. FOR RECRUITING, AS LONG AS THEY LIVE WITHIN THE COUNTY I DONT SEE WHY YOU CANT GO WHERE EVER YOU WANT, THATS HOW I SEE IT SO MARYVILLE CANT BE ACCUSSED OF RECRUITING. AS FAR AS COMPETING WITH 5A, I DONT SEE IT. I SEEN A GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM SATURDAY IN MARYVILLE BUT LET RIVERDALE OR BRENTWOOD GET A LEAD ON YOU LIKE THAT YOUR DOOMED. COMPETING IN 5A WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT WOULD BE TREACHEROUS FOR YOU GUYS. I COACH IN 5A AND IT IS VERY TOUGH WIN EVEN WHEN YOUR SUPPOSED TO. I BELEIVE 4A WILL BELONG TO CLEVELAND NEXT YEAR WITH WHAT THEY HAVE COMING BACK, BARBER AND ALL THOSE GUYS. YOU GUYS NEED A BREAK FROM THE STATE FOR ONE YEAR. YOU GUYS PLAYED ONE HECK OF A GAME SATURDAY. CONGRATS TO YOU AND YOUR SCHOOL.

I was not trying to be smart, but why try arguing with your logic.

First of all Coach Quarles is an excellent coach, but the PLAYERS won that game by fighting and never quitting. That onside kick was a great call but wouldn't have meant anything if the team doesn't rally from 14-0, Or stop Hillsboro deep in their territory just before halftime, or stop them during the last four minutes, Or execute with perfection the so called "Trick Plays". While I am on the "trick play" subject: Isn't every play run out of the wing T a trick play? Is it not the very design of that offense to confuse and confound defenses by many different looks, a lot of motion, and different angles of attack? It is the same with any play on offense/defense, to be effective the players have to execute the plays to their design; so ultimately its the players executing as a team that make the difference.

Back to the game: The difference in the game was the Maryville Players.... they did not panic, they did not waiver, they showed character and poise under pressure, and when things turned their way in the fourth quarter they turned it on and won the game.

These seniors are winners and champions. They beat a very talented and WELL COACHED Hillsboro team. I repeat Hillsboro was better that either Riverdale or Brentwood.

Ask DB who beat Riverdale everywhere except the scoreboard if Maryville could play with 5A. Of Couse we could. We Scrimmage the best 5A schools in East Tennessee every year. We don't always beat them, but we are always competitive. Maryville has the size,depth,talent,and coaching to compete at any level, and if you don't know that then you know nothing about this program.

By the way, the recruiting issue is a mote issue. We do not recruit, it does not happen. The people on this message board who keep bring it up are just trying to belittle the teams accomplishments: Period.

Go Rebels...3 time 4A State Champions :D

[Edited by RedReb on 12-13-02 1:10P]

STARSNBARS told me he has a real good friend who lives in Nashville. His friend told him that Hillsboro and Brentwood scrimmaged this summer and Hillsboro wore them out. Hillsboro and Maryville looked like the best teams to me.

I have coworkers that watched the Blue Cross bowl games. They told me that Hillsboro and Maryville were the best teams they watched. They are not die hard Maryville fans. They were orininally from another state so they don't have Maryville ties.They rooted for Maryville because of me.They are originally from Southwest Virginia. They root for Appallachia High school in Wise VA.

A side note about the game and the Red Rebel players: While watching a tape of the game, I couldn't help but notice Maryville players smiling!...not just at the end of the game, but in the second and third quarters. If that dosen't show confidence and love of the game...I'd love to hear the joke that made them smile. They actually looked as if they were having fun out there. Maybe it was just the camera operator (or me) but I didn't see many shots of Borro's smiling.

What a game! Congrats to both teams.

Season's Greetings to you!

Mapp & Co. :D