Franklin coach dismissed. Unbelievable!!

runtheball

11 hours ago, cbg said:

I don’t see where the school gains anything by making a change during the middle of the season.  The only thing that comes out of this action is the principal and school board that were part of the hire begin to deflect the attention away from the fact that they made a mistake.

I'm going to guess that the "right" person wanted him removed as soon as possible as head football coach.  In the eyes of many who are still in the system it is generally how Williamson County operates from an administrative level when it comes to supporting the "right parents" and "right kids".  What else could you expect from a school system that's being ran by a person with zero classroom teaching experience?  It's ran like a courtroom case on a Law & Order television series which means that it's seemingly a never ending game of "got ya" and unfortunately Alex Melton was gotten this week.  I hope he lands on his feet somewhere and finds peace and happiness in coaching outside of WCS.  In my opinion I'll say that Joines, like Qualls before him, is nothing more than a "yes man" surrounded by politicians who are all looking out for their own self interests at the end of the day.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, TightRip58BlackO said:

This is laughable. Clearly you've never coached beyond your seat from the stands and the couch.

We're talking about a 1-29 coach.  There is no good excuse for that.  But hey, you can feel free to add it to your excuse portfolio.

Of course a single opponent may have more talent, but this 1-29 thing?  that excuse will never fly.

On 10/3/2023 at 11:08 AM, ILB1999 said:

sounds like you and coach are tight.  good talk.

After reading this closely I'll take a guess and say that you've got to be a community member who targeted the coach and was in tight with someone in a position of power in the WCS to make his dismissal become a reality. 

So why are you so upset?  

41 minutes ago, howdoitknow said:

I'm going to guess that the "right" person wanted him removed as soon as possible as head football coach.  In the eyes of many who are still in the system it is generally how Williamson County operates from an administrative level when it comes to supporting the "right parents" and "right kids".  What else could you expect from a school system that's being ran by a person with zero classroom teaching experience?  It's ran like a courtroom case on a Law & Order television series which means that it's seemingly a never ending game of "got ya" and unfortunately Alex Melton was gotten this week.  I hope he lands on his feet somewhere and finds peace and happiness in coaching outside of WCS.  In my opinion I'll say that Joines, like Qualls before him, is nothing more than a "yes man" surrounded by politicians who are all looking out for their own self interests at the end of the day.  

You are completely correct as to how most athletic departments are operated.  I personally know of a football program that won a state championship in the 90's and shortly thereafter the principle terminated the head coach due to a personality conflict.  That same school has only had 7 or 8 winning seasons since that time.  The school has had various different coaches and most of the same people are responsible for the hiring process since that state championship season.  There is now a push to terminate the current coach.  My response to the principal, athletic director and the president of the booster club is why do you want to fire the coach?  I informed them that those same individuals that have screwed up all of the new hires since the state championship season are going to make yet another bad hire unless they get lucky.  This is not a facilities problem or a lack of athlete's problem, it's simply a people problem.  For a team to compete for state championships on a consistent basis everyone from members of the school board, administration, faculty and student body must all be pulling on the same end of the rope.  If you have individuals that are more interested in protecting their turf you will never have championship level athletics.

35 minutes ago, ILB1999 said:

We're talking about a 1-29 coach.  There is no good excuse for that.  But hey, you can feel free to add it to your excuse portfolio.

Of course a single opponent may have more talent, but this 1-29 thing?  that excuse will never fly.

I'm not saying there's a good excuse. Excuses don't exist with good coaches - much Like Alex Melton. What I'm saying is, your whole take is laughable. You mentioned that maybe a good coach could develop some good ball players and win some games. Look at the product that Melton has put on the field since he took over. Does record reflect a change? Certainly not. But go back and look at the most common thing that every opposing coach has said about the Franklin program the last two years, and especially this year - they are a well coached and tough team that fights. They have been in nearly every game this season for a large majority of the game. They have size, speed, and considerably more talent than the previous years. But you're right - it's all excuses... go ahead and keep viewing how good or bad a coach is at the surface level. That's what most Monday morning QB's do anyways. I think if you really took a look at that program, and the way Coach Melton does things, you would be able to have a better understanding that improvement has definitely shown and that Alex Melton is a heck of a coach and leader. Or better yet, get certified, find a job, and let us all see how good you can be. A good coach should be able to develop talent, right? Go right ahead..

1 hour ago, howdoitknow said:

After reading this closely I'll take a guess and say that you've got to be a community member who targeted the coach and was in tight with someone in a position of power in the WCS to make his dismissal become a reality. 

So why are you so upset?  

you got the wrong guy.  definitely not a community member, and I'd prefer not to even visit franklin. i don't care about any of it, but although it's not best practice, I understand why a school would release a 1-29 coach.  

51 minutes ago, TightRip58BlackO said:

I'm not saying there's a good excuse. Excuses don't exist with good coaches - much Like Alex Melton. What I'm saying is, your whole take is laughable. You mentioned that maybe a good coach could develop some good ball players and win some games. Look at the product that Melton has put on the field since he took over. Does record reflect a change? Certainly not. But go back and look at the most common thing that every opposing coach has said about the Franklin program the last two years, and especially this year - they are a well coached and tough team that fights. They have been in nearly every game this season for a large majority of the game. They have size, speed, and considerably more talent than the previous years. But you're right - it's all excuses... go ahead and keep viewing how good or bad a coach is at the surface level. That's what most Monday morning QB's do anyways. I think if you really took a look at that program, and the way Coach Melton does things, you would be able to have a better understanding that improvement has definitely shown and that Alex Melton is a heck of a coach and leader. Or better yet, get certified, find a job, and let us all see how good you can be. A good coach should be able to develop talent, right? Go right ahead..

So he's a great coach with the worst luck ever?

There’s a lot to unpack here. Whether we agree or not, he was probably gone after this year anyway. Chances are they will go 1-9 at best, meaning 2-28 over a three year period. I understand zoning has played a big part, but so does scheduling. Has anyone looked at the non-region games and thought “why”? You have to play your region schedule, but any struggling program should be looking for winnable games outside of the region. Yes, we also have to look at the economics of it with the “gate” and rivalries, but schedule winnable games and try to turn it around. Not sure if he had control of or input in the last cycle, but one would assume he did this time.

I can see both sides of the mid season change. Personally I would have probably not made the change, but I can see why they would.

I understand Franklin isn’t the Franklin of old, but I also believe with a 1-26 record over a three year period requires a change. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TightRip58BlackO said:

Okay, clearly you don't want to hear what anyone else is saying. Read the article that was shared. If you still think the guy sucks after that, then the discussion isn't even worth having. 

the article is subjective.  The record isn't.  I believe he was a good guy and a decent coach.  I can't blame any administration for letting him go.  I don't love the timing.