Bolivar at Westview

Madddog2020

49 minutes ago, volfan26 said:

Actually it was 32 attempts for-15 yards rushing with I think 6 sacks included. Bolivar only managed 65 yards offense for the game.  One was a 40 yard completion in 4th quarter. Westview defense was flying all over the field.

So Westview takes the stats when it comes to a sack off of the individual rushing yards and not the teams passing yards? If so, I can see that then...

2 hours ago, Tigersandcats said:

Basketball school. Plain and simple. I’ve seen that gym busting at the seems. 

Yes! They took the indoor hitting facility away from their baseball team. Unless they have a new place to hit as of the last year, Bolivar baseball has no where to hit during the winter months other than outside in the cold weather.

3 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

No, he said the Bolivar's QB had 22 rushes and he lost 25 yards. That stat is something I have a hard time believing in.

I do agree with you regarding to Bolivar. Their QB is good, I'll give them that. However, they don't have much after him, and the coaching staff may not necessarily be the best staff. I bet it's tough to keep good coaches at Bolivar because where the town is located. It's a small town that appears to not potentially grow. They don't have a major highway like 51 or 45, so the economic development may not be there. 

Bolivar doesn't seem to support their athletics, and it does show in a way.

Ok, some of this is somewhat true. We got our butts kicked on Friday night. Westview looks like the best pass rush in the Region. But also, they played their first team defense (defensive line anyway) the entire game, even with a running clock. Maybe they had something to prove or an ax to grind. Well, they proved it. 

Minor stuff: Got sacked 5 times with two intentional grounding calls on top of that. Call it seven if you wish. We were down our three top receivers. That didn't help. 

Uninformed crap: We do have good coaches. The best we have had in 16 years in my opinion. We are just understaffed and undermanned as far as athletes go. We haven't had a 1000 yard rusher since 2017 and before that we had one for at least six straight years, still without winning a playoff game. Howell should fix the 1000 yard rusher, as he needs about 150 with two games to go. 

Worse stuff: On Friday night, Westview had six unsportsmanlike penalties. Three of them after touchdowns. Looks like success was hard for them to handle. It's high school sports and yes, it does reflect on them and their coaches. Up 27-0 and still sucker-punching our kids?

A few tidbits on Bolivar football. After 2018, our coach made an impossible schedule (five non region games the winning percentage the year before was over .800) and left, making a recommendation to hire Montrell Craft over a local man that would still be here, in my opinion. But our previous coach had an ax to grind with him, I assume. Coach Craft is a good man and did a good job, but the schedule was way too much to overcome. Even so, we managed to win as many games with him in 2019 as we did the year before.

The next year, the 2014-2018 coach got a head coaching job and in July, hired most of Bolivar's staff at Fayette Ware, even recruiting some of our players. We had only three coaches for that year (2020), and COVID and it was rough. Coach Craft found a job closer to home after that and has had success. Bravo for him.

(by the way, our 2014-2018 coach basically did the same thing to Fayette Ware when he left last year...you can look it up)

We hadn't won more than 3 games since 2019, and we've won four this year. If we can win our last two, we might be the only team in 3A to have a better than a .500 record and not make the playoffs. Thanks TSSAA for an 8-team region. We have come leaps and bounds since we were left for dead. We do not have the athletes we used to have. But these teams have been my favorite to watch. And I haven't missed a snap since 2007. 

And one more thing: Since 2008, we have had more penalty yards each year than our opponents. Except for the last two years. That is a sign that things are being done right. No more multiple personal foul games, which was the calling card of Bolivar Football the previous 13 years. You can look that up too. 

We've never been in better shape, at least not since 2008, in my opinion. I don't know what the future holds, but I hope it's with these coaches and these kids. 

Edited by FLFan
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Ok, some of this is somewhat true. We got our butts kicked on Friday night. Westview looks like the best pass rush in the Region. But also, they played their first team defense (defensive line anyway) the entire game, even with a running clock. Maybe they had something to prove or an ax to grind. Well, they proved it. 

Minor stuff: Got sacked 5 times with two intentional grounding calls on top of that. Call it seven if you wish. We were down our three top receivers. That didn't help. 

Uninformed crap: We do have good coaches. The best we have had in 16 years in my opinion. We are just understaffed and undermanned as far as athletes go. We haven't had a 1000 yard rusher since 2017 and before that we had one for at least six straight years, still without winning a playoff game. Howell should fix the 1000 yard rusher, as he needs about 150 with two games to go. 

Worse stuff: On Friday night, Westview had six unsportsmanlike penalties. Three of them after touchdowns. Looks like success was hard for them to handle. It's high school sports and yes, it does reflect on them and their coaches. Up 27-0 and still sucker-punching our kids?

A few tidbits on Bolivar football. After 2018, our coach made an impossible schedule (five non region games the winning percentage the year before was over .800) and left, making a recommendation to hire Montrell Craft over a local man that would still be here, in my opinion. But our previous coach had an ax to grind with him, I assume. Coach Craft is a good man and did a good job, but the schedule was way too much to overcome. Even so, we managed to win as many games with him in 2019 as we did the year before.

The next year, the 2014-2018 coach got a head coaching job and in July, hired most of Bolivar's staff at Fayette Ware. We had only three coaches for that year (2020), and COVID and it was rough. Coach Craft found a job closer to home after that and has had success. Bravo for him.

(by the way, our 2014-2018 coach basically did the same thing to Fayette Ware when he left last year...you can look it up)

We hadn't won more than 3 games since 2019, and we've won four this year. If we can win our last two, we might be the only team in 3A to have a better than a .500 record and not make the playoffs. Thanks TSSAA for an 8-team region. We have come leaps and bounds since we were left for dead. We do not have the athletes we used to have. But these teams have been my favorite to watch. And I haven't missed a snap since 2007. 

And one more thing: Since 2008, we have had more penalty yards each year than our opponents. Except for the last two years. That is a sign that things are being done right. No more multiple personal foul games, which was the calling card of Bolivar Football the previous 13 years. You can look that up too. 

We've never been in better shape, at least not since 2008, in my opinion. I don't know what the future holds, but I hope it's with these coaches and these kids. 

Is Howell a senior? I know what the head coach did to y'all in those years from 2014-2018. I know it sucks...

The stats were submitted by someone who has been doing it for over 30 years so i believe they are correct. Their was never a running clock. If you were down three recievers how does that stop a pass rush? The referees were flag happy for sure.  Westviews leading tackler is a freshman

22 minutes ago, FLFan said:

And by the way, Howell was sacked five times for -42. He rushed 14 times for 34 yards otherwise. 

LB who had 19 tackles and 4 sacks. Good luck to Bolivar the rest of this year. 

1 hour ago, TryNotToSuck said:

So Westview takes the stats when it comes to a sack off of the individual rushing yards and not the teams passing yards? If so, I can see that then...

NFL and NCAA differ on how sack yardage is assessed. NCAA takes it off the rushing yardage of the QB. That’s the way I score it as well. Same rule applies when a team takes a knee.

34 minutes ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

NFL and NCAA differ on how sack yardage is assessed. NCAA takes it off the rushing yardage of the QB. That’s the way I score it as well. Same rule applies when a team takes a knee.

I've done college and High School, but High School is the wild west. No set rules. I keep a separate category for sacks. Keeps the overall correct, but doesn't penalize the QB. A bad snap is not the fault of who recovers it. 

47 minutes ago, volfan26 said:

The stats were submitted by someone who has been doing it for over 30 years so i believe they are correct. Their was never a running clock. If you were down three recievers how does that stop a pass rush? The referees were flag happy for sure.  Westviews leading tackler is a freshman

LB who had 19 tackles and 4 sacks. Good luck to Bolivar the rest of this year. 

Well, if we are counting years, I've done it since 1976...and the clock ran the entire second half after they scored with 10;45 left in the third. And, no one to throw to hurts throwing it at all. 

Edited by FLFan

5 hours ago, GOCHARGERS said:

Saying Westview left there starters in on defense. Well about 6 or 7 of their starters are freshman and sophmores. Hey Coach Callins can you start dressing out some middle school kids so those freshman and sophomores can come off the field its just not fair to some of these teams. 

I don’t think middle school kids would be necessary. If part of your best 11 on defense are 6-7 freshman or sophomore that shouldn’t matter. I would guess Westview dresses 40-50 kids at least.  You should easily be able to find 6-7 other kids to take their place without dipping down to middle school. For the record, I’m not accusing Westview of any wrongdoing. Just responding to the conversation.