MBA...OVERALL TENNESSEE STATE CHAMPIONS!

Redtwin

DBindian

Why did Brentwood "deserve" it? If you think so because you feel like Riverdale shouldn't have been there because DB won the stat war, then think again. Riverdale outgained Brentwood, and had more first downs. Same thing happened to us that happened to you a week earlier - someone decided the winner should be decided by the score, not the stats.

Riverdale could have won that game, but they didn't. I don't think anyone has been on this board and made any excuses. Brentwood won. That is the only reason they "deserve " it. They are 5A state champs. Riverdale and DB are not. End of story.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally I would be arguing that the champion of D2 AAA is the best team in the state. Many years that's been easy to do. McCallie last year was undefeated, and MBA for the several years before that was. There is no question in my mind that those two teams were overall state champion. It's hard to make that statement this year though. MBA had 4 losses, and a few near misses including one to Knox Catholic of all people. Sure, they killed the last few teams that they played including my alma mater, but as far as being the overall best in the state, I don't think that is a legitamte statement this year. Sorry guys, you're definately one of the better teams in the state this year, and the turn around you made towards the end of the season was very impressive, but it's hard to make a claim like this, especially with 4 losses when there are plenty of teams out there with fewer losses against better opponents.

i don't think there's anyway that anyone can argue that maryville isn't the best team in the state. as it has been pointed out on this thread, their credentials speak for themselves. i personally do not think that hillsboro would beat mba because i think their road to the championship was a lot easier than maryville's, but hillsboro is still a very strong team, and that's just my opinion. to the db guy, name one recruited player to mba in the last 10 years, you can't do it, i gurantee it, and by the way, you got beat by mba when it was rebuilding this year. it's too bad you didn't play them when they got the kinks worked out.

[Edited by Redtwin on 12-9-02 12:28P]

why does everyone keep bringing up the 4 losses? yes, we lost 4 games! but i dont think people understand the whole aspect of the situation. MBA soundly beat 3 out of the 4 teams that beat us. who gives a flying fart that we lost 4 games earlier in teh season? once we gelled, we were unstoppable. It doesnt matter whether or not we lost to 4 teams, but what does matter is that we beat 3 of the 4 on the way to a state championship!! come on guys! :)

so lose the whole "they lost 4 games, so they stink!" deal

This whole post is much ado about nothing. It looks like Brandon suceeded in creating a post that would have lively discussion.

Who would win if the winners held a tournament? No one on earth knows for sure and the last time I checked, the good Lord had too much to do to send down a revelation with the identity of the "true" state champion.

Tennessee had 8 state champions. While that may be too many, it is reality and all the arguing and speculating in the world won't change it.

Let's just let those 8 schools enjoy their moment in the sun.

I'm not saying that they stink because they lost four games, you guys won a state championship. Congratulationss. I won mine last year, and I would have gotten extremely mad if anyone had tried to tell me that it wasn't worth anything. No one is trying to discount your title. However, to make a claim such as "We are the overall state champions" is kind of silly. There is no way to prove that besides personal opinion. Like it was said earlier, there are 8 state championships in Tennessee. I'm sure each one of those teams probably thinks they are the over all state champion. I understand how a team comes together through a season, and how the beginning of a season usually has nothing to do with the end of it, but the fact still remains that you guys lost to BGA, Baylor, BA, and MUS, even though you did avenge the last two. Don't make excuses. You won a state title, be happy with that. Why do you need to give yourselves a title that no one else will recognize?

Anybody that thinks maryville isn't the best team in the stae is crazy. They have talent, dont get me wrong, but they have played teams way more talented and athletic than they are. Plus Maryville did it with out thier starting QB, Alex Rouse, and also had numerous injuries that kept great players like OL Drew Eubanks, DE Andrew Hodge, MLB Lucas Tipton, WR/CB Russell Clement, and DE/WR Dan Fondell, Cole McKinney, and Jeremy Killbrew (all Starters) from playing numerous games this year. Also, you have to consider TJ Brock getting kicked off the team at the end of last year, certainly one of the best backs in the state along with Carl Stewart; it is just one more tale of adviresity that Maryville had to go threw. It really shows Maryville is a TEAM and not just a group of individuals. So you can trash talk us all you want, the facts are WE ARE #1! Maryville has earned the respect so why not give it to them.

[Edited by crkjon on 12-9-02 6:38P]

Guest hogfan10

Seriously, think before you write threads in this message room. MBA lost to BGA who lost to Briarcrest in the state championship game so that would make Briarcrest overall state champs wouldnt it. Let's get serious, everybody knows Brentwood and a whole bunch of other teams could beat Briarcrest in a game that wouldnt even be funny techinically all you are saying is MBA would lose to. Think before you type.

hey, u need to learn from ur own words. U need to think before u write. bga beat mba the second game of the season, which was the same time that mba was figuring everything out with the new systems and who would play where. bga just caught mba at the right time. with the team mba had from father ryan game to the clinic bowl, they would be extremely hard to beat.