Gallatin @ Springfield

BruiseBrother98

1980 the undefeated green wave were upset at boyce smith field on a Saturday night. 

Probably the most attended Gallatin vs Springfield game.

Fans and players from other teams were there for that one due to it being on Saturday night, rained Wednesday until Friday evening. Great history between these 2.

Springfield and Mt. Juliet the only 2 teams to beat Gallatin more than once in the 80's.

4 hours ago, ilovethegame said:

1980 the undefeated green wave were upset at boyce smith field on a Saturday night. 

Probably the most attended Gallatin vs Springfield game.

Fans and players from other teams were there for that one due to it being on Saturday night, rained Wednesday until Friday evening. Great history between these 2.

Springfield and Mt. Juliet the only 2 teams to beat Gallatin more than once in the 80's.

In 1980 the Robertson County Board of Education tried to force the Springfield football program to drop to the AA classification. At that time only three classifications in the whole state. Springfield always chose to play in the highest classification even though the schools enrollment was always AA since classification began in 1969 , Coach Smith and every coach prior to 1987 played in AAA , mainly because the school could continue to keep its old time rivals. The Jackets were 1-3 prior to the fifth game in 1980 ,  have beaten Cookeville and losing to Dickson Co.,Warren Co and Clarksville, the howls from the BOE were loud that the school should play in its designated classification. Coach Jerry Pearson and the school administration were strongly opposed as was a large majority of Jacket supporters. It all but went away as the Jackets reeled off 7 straight wins and a Midstate Bowl berth. That Saturday night game on the third Saturday of October with a 14-0 win over the top ranked and undefeated Wave all but put out the fire of dropping classification up until the 1987 season. Coach Pearson was against it but the move down happened and he left to go to Dickson Co . In hindsight it worked for both parties with former alum Coach Pearson winning the 1988 State Championship at Dickson Co. with the Jackets have a strong run through the late eighties and mid nineties and getting a State Championship in 1993 under Coach Randy Thomas in his first season after Coach Donnie Jones left for administration after he led the Jackets to several successful seasons. I know this as ZILCH to do with what happens Friday but for us old timers it brings back several memories , sorry for being so long winded but that’s why it’s such a great thing , that being high school football and the communities that it still means so much to. Over the years the crowds aren’t as big as they once were but on Friday nights all across the state there is still lots of excitement. History class dismissed lol .

Edited by LEON
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

So this is the tie breaker.  Gallatin has not won at the new Jacket Stadium.  

Yes by my records that’s it . Only the actual first game in 1927 doesn’t have an actual score , just stated a Springfield win. The Springfield football history was documented by the late Dr. Floyd F. Traughber in the 1990’s in the local newspaper. He did all the seasons in the Boyce Smith era 1928-1971. He spent many hours looking at microfilms at the public library, he passed before it was finished. He had a local businessman to finish the articles which were published weekly in the newspaper. My understanding is much of Gallatin football history was destroyed by fire prior to the school that was in front of the stadium. Coach Smith kept lots of notes during his time also. I know this game is neither of each schools oldest rivalry, l believe Lebanon is the oldest for Gallatin and Clarksville is the Jackets oldest having played for the 100th time this season.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, LEON said:

Yes by my records that’s it . Only the actual first game in 1927 doesn’t have an actual score , just stated a Springfield win. The Springfield football history was documented by the late Dr. Floyd F. Traughber in the 1990’s in the local newspaper. He did all the seasons in the Boyce Smith era 1928-1971. He spent many hours looking at microfilms at the public library, he passed before it was finished. He had a local businessman to finish the articles which were published weekly in the newspaper. My understanding is much of Gallatin football history was destroyed by fire prior to the school that was in front of the stadium. Coach Smith kept lots of notes during his time also. I know this game is neither of each schools oldest rivalry, l believe Lebanon is the oldest for Gallatin and Clarksville is the Jackets oldest having played for the 100th time this season.

In 3 years Gallatin and Springfield will have an 100th year meeting if both stay on the schedule.  That is pretty impressive.  I have been really impressed with Wilson since he had taken over the program.  He was definitely what Springfield needed and has done a great job.  I know this will be a hard fought game no matter the records.  Gallatin will look a lot different this year with their offensive set.  They have been a lot of fun to watch.  

• Like 1