Greeneville at Elizabethton

BarneySox2007

Wow. I blinked and missed a lot on this thread! Here’s my take on the game, from the Devil’s perspective. Can they predominantly run the ball with short passes to keep the D honest and beat Betsy? Yes. See Quarterfinals in 2021 for example of how it’s done, compliments of Bryson Rollins. Run the ball and keep the Betsy O on the bench where they can’t beat you. Gudger did little damage in 21 watching from the sidelines. But Betsy is so well balanced on O and so deep on the defensive side of the ball, it may not matter. They can lock down receivers and the line will run stop on their way to the QB. As big and physical as Mo West and DB were, Betsy ate them up. It will come down to Line play, Mistakes, special teams play and the Mental aspect of the game. Betsy is heavily senior led but there are a bunch of juniors in the mix that have playing time. I lean towards Betsy AT HOME. Let the COWBELLS RING, 24-14.

Edited by BigDaddyDave

55 minutes ago, BigDaddyDave said:

Wow. I blinked and missed a lot on this thread! Here’s my take on the game, from the Devil’s perspective. Can they predominantly run the ball with short passes to keep the D honest and beat Betsy? Yes. See Quarterfinals in 2021 for example of how it’s done, compliments of Bryson Rollins. Run the ball and keep the Betsy O on the bench where they can’t beat you. Gudger did little damage in 21 watching from the sidelines. But Betsy is so well balanced on O and so deep on the defensive side of the ball, it may not matter. They can lock down receivers and the line will run stop on their way to the QB. As big and physical as Mo West and DB were, Betsy ate them up. It will come down to Line play, Mistakes, special teams play and the Mental aspect of the game. Betsy is heavily senior led but there are a bunch of juniors in the mix that have playing time. I lean towards Betsy AT HOME. Let the COWBELLS RING, 24-14.

These teams are more alike than you realize.  Both have strong coaching staffs, and strong programs.  Greeneville is +11 or +12 in turnover differential.  I think Greeneville has lost 5 turnovers, according to WGRV last week.  Can’t turn it over in games like these.  Especially in crucial areas and situations.

14 hours ago, ChickenLittle11 said:

You showed me 5 good deep balls and we play 10 games ….. how many down field attempts has he had on season?? That ain’t gonna average out to a good number boss ….. I’m just calling a spade a spade the kid needs to be a game manager and hit the deep ball when it presents itself and everything will be good ….. and stop boasting about being 7-0 in this region I can get a couple 40 yr old men that could go out there and beat Grainger and Cherokee … and 2 games got canceled so stop it with that nonsense 

Let's be honest, from here until you hit Knoxville, there are 2 teams that can even begin to challenge Greeneville and Elizabethton in any classification.  Science Hill and DB can hang with them, but the way things are now if there were 10 games played, Betsy and Greeneville would have more wins over the two.  No one can compete to what these two communities have built up.  As far as I can tell, there aren't any teams in Upper East Tennessee that can even begin to compete with the two of them, and I'm saying that as we've had the odd Boone wins against the two in the past four years.

They are untouchable, it could be Cherokee or it could be vs DB, outcome is the same, Greeneville and Betsy win.  Let's take the state..... maybe 2-3 other teams in 4A that "could" challenge them year in and year out?  No reason to bash Grainger and Cherokee, I'm sure they would love to be back up in 5A to avoid playing these two teams.

1 hour ago, formerblazer said:

Let's be honest, from here until you hit Knoxville, there are 2 teams that can even begin to challenge Greeneville and Elizabethton in any classification.  Science Hill and DB can hang with them, but the way things are now if there were 10 games played, Betsy and Greeneville would have more wins over the two.  No one can compete to what these two communities have built up.  As far as I can tell, there aren't any teams in Upper East Tennessee that can even begin to compete with the two of them, and I'm saying that as we've had the odd Boone wins against the two in the past four years.

They are untouchable, it could be Cherokee or it could be vs DB, outcome is the same, Greeneville and Betsy win.  Let's take the state..... maybe 2-3 other teams in 4A that "could" challenge them year in and year out?  No reason to bash Grainger and Cherokee, I'm sure they would love to be back up in 5A to avoid playing these two teams.

Spot on analysis.     I would add that nothing is going to change in the foreseeable future, i.e., Elizabethton & Greeneville are the ONLY teams in NET who are serious about championship football.     All the other schools play for fun or whatever & if they happen every now and then to have a good team then so be it, but it is not hard-wired into the culture of all the other schools.     (Preceeding comments relate to 4A/5A/6A)

2 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Spot on analysis.     I would add that nothing is going to change in the foreseeable future, i.e., Elizabethton & Greeneville are the ONLY teams in NET who are serious about championship football.     All the other schools play for fun or whatever & if they happen every now and then to have a good team then so be it, but it is not hard-wired into the culture of all the other schools.     (Preceeding comments relate to 4A/5A/6A)

I don’t know about just playing for fun.  I completely respect and see that whatever it is that these two schools have done to get their programs at such a high level is breeding success, but let’s not sit here and assume every school has the resources and talent and coaching staff coming in that these two have.  I’m also not going to say the athletes from these schools don’t work their tail off either, they put in the work.  Some schools are just happy to get in the playoffs and probably have a lot to overcome to just get that far.  These two teams are on a whole nother level.

34 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

I don’t know about just playing for fun.  I completely respect and see that whatever it is that these two schools have done to get their programs at such a high level is breeding success, but let’s not sit here and assume every school has the resources and talent and coaching staff coming in that these two have.  I’m also not going to say the athletes from these schools don’t work their tail off either, they put in the work.  Some schools are just happy to get in the playoffs and probably have a lot to overcome to just get that far.  These two teams are on a whole nother level.

Guess what I was trying to say is that Eliz & Greene do not get to that level by accident, it is a very intentional path that is willing to commit to the resources, costs, staffing, etc. to build a championship team.         The other schools on an overall basis (players + coaches + administration + fans + parents + .....) are not as committed to making football a #1 priority.      For example:      Yes, in some cases the players are working as hard as Eliz & Greene players but the administration is not really into football and has sub-par coaching or whatever.        Or maybe the admin would like a great team but the players are not that into it.     I'm saying that Eliz & Greene have committed to the entire package and the results show in the trophy case.

And the state titles we've lost were toss up games that could have gone either way. I think if we played 10 games against every 4a team we'd win 8 or 9 at minimum. Alcoa in 3a is the only team that could really provide a consistent challenge for Greeneville or EHS. I don't mention 5 or 6a as the teams that could challenge aren't super close to moving down. But Alcoa is the most likely to move up before a 5a team moves down or we move to 5a. Anyway these 2 teams know each other better than anyone else and it's usually been a pretty close game. But given homefield advantage and the internal issues at Greeneville I'm giving the edge to EHS.