Ripley @ Covington - Round 2

CHARGERFAN

13 minutes ago, TheBigMuddy said:

Covington won the first matchup and by the looks of the score it looked pretty easy, so my gut tells me to take covington in this one......................................... but Im gonna pull for the underdog! Go Tigers! Shock the world! :thumb:

The game was a little better than the final score indicated last time. If the Tigers want a chance just have to limit mistakes and find some offensive production. Never know they might surprise you, and then again they might not. Guess they did keep the kid at Sheffield in check, only giving up 8 points. Good Luck to both squads. 

• Like 1

This was a close game early last time out and got away from the Tigers right before the half. Their offense never showed up to the game, so same result if that's the case again, but if the Tigers can get something going early, we might have ourselves a different ball game. But after seeing the score from the Sheffield game, makes it hard to believe they can actually overcome the Chargers! :thumb:

• Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 9:27 PM, FOOTBALLROCKYTOP said:

Well dang I just commented on another post that Ripley upsets Covington in rd 2. Was thinking the score was a lot closer in the first meeting. I may need to go delete that huh :)

HAHA. I have done the exact same thing in the past. When you get really busy, things seems to blur! If, I were you I would go delete that comment and hope no one took a screen shot of it! HA! I LOL'ed. Honestly, I have done the exact same thing. Covington has a good team... Ripley will be doing great to get on the score board a couple of times. 

10 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

HAHA. I have done the exact same thing in the past. When you get really busy, things seems to blur! If, I were you I would go delete that comment and hope no one took a screen shot of it! HA! I LOL'ed. Honestly, I have done the exact same thing. Covington has a good team... Ripley will be doing great to get on the score board a couple of times. 

But you usually put pretty good stuff on here. I did catch a thread recently where you were calling a guy trailer trash (in a subtle way, of course). We do pray “Forgive us our trespasses” don’t we? Glad to see you posting on here.

I went back and viewed the Ripley game again last night. They shut us out in the first quarter. We got to the 10 yard line going in, they held, and we missed a field goal. Second offensive possession, we fumbled the ball back to them. We could not score on their D until the 2nd quarter. But it was 17-0 at the half. Our D kept them from getting close to the end zone, but they did pick up some first downs, and moved the ball on us at times. 

I expect them to come in thinking they can play with us. 

10 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

But you usually put pretty good stuff on here. I did catch a thread recently where you were calling a guy trailer trash (in a subtle way, of course). We do pray “Forgive us our trespasses” don’t we? Glad to see you posting on here.

I went back and viewed the Ripley game again last night. They shut us out in the first quarter. We got to the 10 yard line going in, they held, and we missed a field goal. Second offensive possession, we fumbled the ball back to them. We could not score on their D until the 2nd quarter. But it was 17-0 at the half. Our D kept them from getting close to the end zone, but they did pick up some first downs, and moved the ball on us at times. 

I expect them to come in thinking they can play with us. 

@CHARGERFAN I have a really hard time taking the high road when someone is disrespecting me or mine. I do not have a hard time calling it like I see it. I call a spade a spade. Not scared. I do not hide behind the keyboard so no one knows who I am. Any frequent visitor here knows who I am. If, you don't just ask. I will be happy to share. 

SGC and Covington had some sure enough battles back in the day. You nor I, ever intentionally disrespected each other or the programs we supported. My own son was on the losing end of too many wars with Covington... I called it like I saw it, and you and the Covington faithful were graceful and moved on... 

I love some banter back and forth as much as anyone. I will NOT tolerate clear disrespect. I stand beside everything I said and challenge anyone to bring it. 

Now, on to more important things. I think Ripley will give you guys some trouble early ( broken record ) however, I fully expect the Chargers to roll in this contest. 

The Commercial Appeal has this on the game:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/11/08/tennessee-high-school-football-playoffs-tssaa-2023-memphis-predictions/71349575007/

Ripley (7-4) at Covington (9-2) 

When: 7 p.m., Friday 

Covington's Skylan Smith rushed for 111 yards and had three total touchdowns in a 70-6 win over Hamilton in the first round. Covington beat Ripley 36-0 in Week 10 with Smith rushing for 276 yards and three touchdowns. He should have another big game and send Covington to the quarterfinals.  

Wilcox’s pick: Covington 41, Ripley 6 

The Daily Memphian says:

https://dailymemphian.com/subscriber/section/sportshigh-school-sports/article/39764/tssaa-second-round-football-playoff-preview-memphis-area

Class 3A

(4) Ripley (7-4) at (2) Covington (9-2)

The rundown: Ripley scored in the final two minutes to upset injury-riddled Sheffield last week, 12-8. Covington, meanwhile, put up 70 points against Hamilton — not an easy thing to do, especially considering the running clocks in the high school game. 

The Chargers have won eight in a row and their run game, led by Mr. Football semifinalist Skylan Smith, is clicking. Covington shut out Ripley, 36-0, Oct. 20, and with the way J.R. Kirby’s men are playing, a similar result could be on the cards.