Page and West

Whs1984

1 hour ago, MeritIII said:

I assume you are trolling for some bulletin board material.  Page is 13-1 and is one of only two 5A teams left standing.  The poor mouthing no longer works in the finals.  Page had the lead against West last year halfway through the second quarter before West took over the game.  Page returns FAR more starters than West.  

That said - West played a very difficult schedule and has been battle tested - but you have to admit on the head to head - Page has more left from last year’s team than West does.  My heart and my head says West can take this one,  but I think it will be a battle to the end.  

Do you realize how many of these guys played in just about every game last year because of all the blowouts? And they were on the sideline and in the state championship game last year with Page. They will be just fine. 

24 minutes ago, AllVol2012 said:

Do you realize how many of these guys played in just about every game last year because of all the blowouts? And they were on the sideline and in the state championship game last year with Page. They will be just fine. 

Never said West wouldn’t be fine, matter of fact I said I think West takes this one.  And yes - I’m fairly familiar with West both this season and last season.   Both teams are past the point as to who has played and who hasn’t as both teams are 15 games into the season - so both have figured out what they have.  Let the chips fly this Friday night and may the best team win.  (Hopefully my Rebels)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Knoxvegas865 said:

I don’t see West losing this. Playing teams like Alcoa, Bearden, Maryville, and Powell 2x might make this game look a little easy like last years. But props to Page 3 years in a row going to state is something to be proud of.

Agree with this to an extent. If each other played the others schedule would each team still be 13-1?

In any case on Friday regardless of the first 14 games played by either team - its 48 minutes, one game to determine whose better than the other...Hopefully it will be my Rebels!

Go Rebels!

12 hours ago, WestHigh4Life said:

Agree with this to an extent. If each other played the others schedule would each team still be 13-1?

In any case on Friday regardless of the first 14 games played by either team - its 48 minutes, one game to determine whose better than the other...Hopefully it will be my Rebels!

Go Rebels!

Page wouldn't not have the same regular season record as west if the schedules were flipped. Now I will give Page credit for beating some good teams in the playoffs. It looks like West played nobody in the playoffs but that is only halfway true. Powell and WV are good teams West just made them look that bad. Just like West will make Page look bad.

West has over recruited and underachieved. Since Brown has gotten there they have done a good job of getting kids in but the fact that this is only going to be their 2nd championship should be considered underachieving. They have been LOADED for years on talent but it took too long to get over the hump. It will be forgotten as long as the staff stays and they are in 5A because they will continue this roll for the foreseeable future

16 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

Page wouldn't not have the same regular season record as west if the schedules were flipped. Now I will give Page credit for beating some good teams in the playoffs. It looks like West played nobody in the playoffs but that is only halfway true. Powell and WV are good teams West just made them look that bad. Just like West will make Page look bad.

West has over recruited and underachieved. Since Brown has gotten there they have done a good job of getting kids in but the fact that this is only going to be their 2nd championship should be considered underachieving. They have been LOADED for years on talent but it took too long to get over the hump. It will be forgotten as long as the staff stays and they are in 5A because they will continue this roll for the foreseeable future

I'd really only say they underachieved in 2020.  prior to that central was rolling. And in 2021 they ran into they ran into the best player in the nation with Big Walter Nolan.

12 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

They had just as many players as central. Lineman and athletes, and they weren't even recruiting as much as central.

yeah, But the year Brown took the job they were 4-7 (2018).  With an established team in essentially the same region,  Central would always have the advantage.  I'd honestly say the rest of knoxville is lucky rosser left.  Neither Powell or West would have a championship otherwise (Maybe).

Lamar inherited a 4-6 (2016-2017) team. West was 7-5 in Lamar's first year. (2017-2018), lost in second round of the playoffs.  If Rosser had stayed at Central, 5A football would be strong here with a good Central, Powell, West and Oak Ridge.  Would have been fun.  You think I'm joking but I'm not, I'm hearing Central would like to hire Stanton Stevens.  In my opinion, there are at least two other highly qualified proven winner coaches here in town that would like to land that job.  

23 minutes ago, ILB1999 said:

yeah, But the year Brown took the job they were 4-7 (2018).  With an established team in essentially the same region,  Central would always have the advantage.  I'd honestly say the rest of knoxville is lucky rosser left.  Neither Powell or West would have a championship otherwise (Maybe).

You may be right. But Rosser is a smart guy. He knows you can only bring in the type of kids he was bringing in for so long before there is a problem in the building. He left at the right time, went out on top. Thats why these super teams in knox don't last that long. Winning state doesn't matter because teachers don't want to put up with the sh*theads. All schools have them but when you bring in an extra 20+ it will become a problem. They stopped at Fulton and now look at them. Powell is already coming back to Earth. Bearden will soon as well. West has a principal that cared about football for personal interest. Now that personal interest is gone to college so that clock is ticking as well.

7 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

You may be right. But Rosser is a smart guy. He knows you can only bring in the type of kids he was bringing in for so long before there is a problem in the building. He left at the right time, went out on top. Thats why these super teams in knox don't last that long. Winning state doesn't matter because teachers don't want to put up with the sh*theads. All schools have them but when you bring in an extra 20+ it will become a problem. They stopped at Fulton and now look at them. Powell is already coming back to Earth. Bearden will soon as well. West has a principal that cared about football for personal interest. Now that personal interest is gone to college so that clock is ticking as well.

there's an argument that west might be the most sustainable with two different relatively recent runs under two different HC's and two differnt principals.