1 Free transfer??

FBfan26

1 minute ago, MidTennFootball said:

Something that we as a country do a piss poor job of is promoting trade/vocational schools. College isn't for everyone and you shouldn't be made to feel stupid just because it's not for you. Absolutely agree that we as a country dont give kids the tools to have a chance to make a living with their hands

No doubt! A man or woman that knows how to work and work with their hands will always do well. Some of the smartest ppl I know have been blue collar since before country music said it was cool. 

13 minutes ago, 422PT said:

Smart kids who are good students are kind of like football players .... Yes they need a good teacher / coach to guide them BUT ultimately their trajectory has a lot more to do with genetics and parents than who ends up teaching / coaching them.... Ever heard the phrase "can't coach big" or "can't fix stupid"? Your ceiling is your ceiling and if your kid struggles to read at a 7th grade level or do simple math, and can't work with his hands - well Parent that's YOUR fault - either by way of genetics or because YOU did't help them gain the skills due to lack of practice and guidance at home. 

It’s a sensitive subject that I clearly don’t understand. Is someone thinking that taking kids who do poorly on tests (due to whatever reasons) and sending them to a private school will help them do better on tests? That’s some wishful thinking. Most (not all) kids who perform poorly in the classroom do not have the support outside of the classroom to push them to do better. I’m not sure how changing schools is going to help that unless the new school’s teachers are gonna become heavily involved.

Again, I’ve not really kept up with the subject. 

When is a decision supposed to be made on the transfers being eligible?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HonkyNinja12 said:

Everybody gets so emotional lol He’s just looking at the data and where public schools are compared to where they have been and where they are trending. They are down in ever major category such as Science, Math, Reading for 30 years and no amount of funding or boo hooing has seemed to curve it because its a home, policy and ten other thing issue so why not try something different instead of pumping money in something that keeps failing.  Idk on whose right or wrong but something will give. The average kid coming out of high school struggles to read at a 7th grade level or do simple math and don’t have any ability to work with their hands either lol

Public Schools are down?  Other than the covid dip, wth are you talking about?  Do you have any evidence that Private Schools are better than Public?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Rerun92 said:

Public Schools are down?  Other than the covid dip, wth are you talking about?  Do you have any evidence that Private Schools are better than Public?

Look at satisfaction rate and data for current voucher program. Compare scores, attendance, post secondary education levels etc of private vs public. Compare private vs public with no williamson county or magnet schools included is quite telling. Plenty of actual data out there if you look. I dont want to change the whole thread I was just making a point on someones comment on Gov Lee hating pub schools which I thought was not accurate.

https://thehill.com/opinion/education/4295760-plummeting-test-scores-an-america-getting-dumber-might-be-the-least-of-our-problems/amp/

1 hour ago, MidTennFootball said:

Something that we as a country do a piss poor job of is promoting trade/vocational schools. College isn't for everyone and you shouldn't be made to feel stupid just because it's not for you. Absolutely agree that we as a country dont give kids the tools to have a chance to make a living with their hands

Which has been legislated by the State Board of Education in the past...money is control, and college acceptance rates were tied to state funding. At Scotts Hill roughly ten years ago our graduation rate was at 100% for two consecutive years and averaged 97/98 % for the duration that the formula was used, and during that time our college acceptance rate was between 91% and 94%. Our senior classes were around 125-130 students per year, so that translates to 113 of the 127 or so of incoming Freshmen who enrolled in a community college or university after graduation. We weren't privy to any stats, but I'd be willing to bet that the majority were out by their 3'rd semester.

2 hours ago, HonkyNinja12 said:

No doubt! A man or woman that knows how to work and work with their hands will always do well. Some of the smartest ppl I know have been blue collar since before country music said it was cool. 

Biggest argument I ever had with our Principal was his statement to me "I don't respect anyone forced to make a living with their hands"...I told him that if everyone in our community received a law or medical degree, that the plumbers, carpenters, and electricians would end up with all the wealth.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, HonkyNinja12 said:

Look at satisfaction rate and data for current voucher program. Compare scores, attendance, post secondary education levels etc of private vs public. Compare private vs public with no williamson county or magnet schools included is quite telling. Plenty of actual data out there if you look. I dont want to change the whole thread I was just making a point on someones comment on Gov Lee hating pub schools which I thought was not accurate.

https://thehill.com/opinion/education/4295760-plummeting-test-scores-an-america-getting-dumber-might-be-the-least-of-our-problems/amp/

Why would you remove schools that don’t fit your narrative if you want an accurate picture of public schools?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SLBK said:

Why would you remove schools that don’t fit your narrative if you want an accurate picture of public schools?

Didnt say you had to. Just an interesting observation as stated secondly. And that comments referenced charters/magnets earlier in the conversation about lees hate for public schools vs Private & Charter

Edited by HonkyNinja12

9 minutes ago, HonkyNinja12 said:

Didnt say you had to. Just an interesting observation as stated secondly 

Here's some material for research...first leg of the voucher program that passed was SPED. Within 6 months a scam operation was busted in Nashville running in a garage where one individual was "babysitting" ten or twelve SPED students and receiving all their educational funding that previously went to a public school. You can also research Representative Ted Cassada from Franklin...FBI is investigating him/his office for bribery regarding securing the votes needed to pass the Voucher Bill. One last bit... Nashville and Memphis Metro systems have entered into litigation to block the Voucher Program.

Edited by tradertwo
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Here's some material for research...first leg of the voucher program that passed was SPED. Within 6 months a scam operation was busted in Nashville running in a garage where one individual was "babysitting" ten or twelve SPED students and receiving all their educational funding that previously went to a public school.

Doesn't qualify for the data I was talking about the data on the satisfaction of the current program etc is out there. Not whether some ppl used to not educate or “scam”.  I can show you a million examples of scams in government lmao look around you could argue the whole darn thing is a scam lol hence why parents with normal kids want more choices and tired of public schools that more worried about gender assigment training than actual learning and developing.