Gomab, question about Dustin Byrd....

TJ

We lose both our 5 men next year at Lambuth so we obviously need some big men. My coach questioned me about the big boy out at Dyersburg. Do you think he can make a big impact at the college level next season? From what I remember about him in HS, he was very frail and didn't like to hang around the basket. If you have any other ideas for post men let me know.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tj - i assume you are talking about dustin byrd at dyer cnty....he does not go to dburg... probably coachinghoops could give you some accurate information about him...

the big post at dburg, although at the bottom of gomabs top 100 seniors list, has several D1 mid offers, along with a couple of NAIA.....

he also has several academic full rides at several major d1 schools (he scored like 33 or 34 on the ACT as a freshmen or sophomore)...

he has yet to decide to play college , or pursue the academic rides......he intends on majoring in the medical field.......

I would rate them in this order as a high school player:

1. Chatham (Dyersburg)

2. Byrd (Dyer County)

3. Justin ? (Milan)

In this order as college potential:

1. Justin (Milan)

2. Chatham(Dyersburg)

3. Byrd (Dyer County)

Weaknesses for each:

Chatham is really not a low post player he is what I would call a tweener. He is too light to bang down low and two slow to play the perimeter. Does not handle pressure very well.

Byrd is a physical player but lacks the offensive skills and footwork needed to be a college threat. Practice work ethic is definately a question mark. Academics are not up to par.

Justin lacks quality post moves and strength to be a big time presence.

Strengths of each:

Chatham can shoot the midrange step out shot and is a three point threat. He is a strong rebounder that has a nose for the ball.

Byrd will play extremely hard (in games) and he too attacks the offensive back boards.

Justin is a great kid and with the right teachers of the game could develope into a legitimate low post scorer.

TJ....

All three of these kids have some potential....

I like Dustin Byrd's potential at 6'11.... He is very, very thin, and has a lot of work to do, but he could turn out to be a good NAIA player. He won't make an impact right away, but he could be a find.....

Justin Cagle is also a player I see fitting in well at the NAIA level..... I don't know if he could help out very early in his career either, but he will eventually be an impact player.....

As for Chattham, he is a good high school player, with a good outside shot, but he has the least potential for the next level.... I don't see Chattham playing any higher than D-III ball, and there is abolutely no way he "has several D1 mid offers" as stated earlier: no way, period....

I really don't see any of the three playing D-1 ball, without going another route first (aka Juco or Prep), but Cagle might have the best opportunity of the three to do so..... Cagle and Byrd are both worth the gamble to take on at Lambuth......

gomab dude, i just state facts... i do not normally blow a lot of smoke up someones pipe.... he has had contact from a d 1 mid - only 1 however....i only blow a little smoke... he has several other contacts from D3-NAIA, etc..

you may be knowledgeable and i do agree with you, most of the time, but in this case you do not have all the facts......remember, after all, you even stated that dyersburg did not have the players to match up the dyer county.....well you were wrong on that too, way wrong....

i do not know what they see and i agree with your evaluation of him, however the fact remains he has had the contact and that is their (recruiters) business and that is what they get paid to do professionally, that is recruit....

i can tell you this, if he elects to play basketball on athletic vs academic scholarship, it will be at a school know for high academic standards in the south... his focus is on education...right where it should be....

[Edited by mg on 12-9-02 5:11P]

Whoa, mg, you said "offers", and therefore I heavily disagreed..... There is a HUGEEEEEEEE difference between interest and offers.....

As for the DC-Dyersburg matchup...I give credit to D'burg on a great win... In my humble defense, I did make that comment thinking Byrd was with Dyer Co, which would have made a ton of difference.... Also, talent does not equal a win (Ole Miss lost to East Carolina, but that does not mean that East Carolina has more talent)......

Anyways, TJ, Dustin has height that you cannot teach, and has shown some definite flashes when I saw him during summer team camps....

you are correct....

to change the subject, you need to try to get down to dyer county on dec 20....that is when dburg plays dc at their new gym....

i can assure you that the place will be packed and it will be a good game between two very good teams.... i would not be suprised to see about 3,000 fans at that game...their gym will seat about 2,500.....

dc should be favored cause they will be tough to beat at home...... and that gym of dc's is one of the finest high school gyms in the state and dc i am sure will provide a great atmospher.....

so come on down and watch the battle of the dyers........

Good point on the 20th, but I don't think I'll be able to make it.... I am planning on coming up to Dyer Co right after Christmas for the Christmas tourney, so I don't think I'll do that twice in a week......

However, I do plan on making it to Jackson for the JNS-Dyersburg game, which should be for the district title......

Also, how is Jeremy Taylor playing????

taylor is doing a better job right now playing defense vs contributing on offense... he is averaging about 10 points a game......the coach is just trying to get some chemistry going and he expects taylor to get the ball more offenseivly as the season goes....

against dyer cnty, i thought he did an excellent job of guarding montell crit......he even blocked a couple of his jump shoots...... blocking montells jumps shots should indicate how good his leaping ability is.....