Barney's Dumpster Fire Award for East Tennessee 1A Football

BarneySox2007

Not looking to bash teams but to get conversation on what has been the problem these schools have had that keep them at the bottom. I took a year and a half off from watching Maryville and went to a lot of the smaller schools to see a family member play a few years ago and had a great time. I would love more than anything to go see a Sunbright or a Lookout Valley game sometime. 

2 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Not looking to bash teams but to get conversation on what has been the problem these schools have had that keep them at the bottom. I took a year and a half off from watching Maryville and went to a lot of the smaller schools to see a family member play a few years ago and had a great time. I would love more than anything to go see a Sunbright or a Lookout Valley game sometime. 

Barney I  know you didnt mean anything by it. I am just sensitive to the small schoolsas they just have so many more obsticles to over come with lack of money, coaches players. And I come from a small school all those small schools who can get kids out are winning imo. the bigger schools can be  riticized more imo. 

I know Sunbright has a low enrollment to begin with, which obviously means quality and experienced depth will always be an issue... especially with O and D linemen.  I think they run a single-wing type offense, which is exactly what you want to do to keep the clock running and make games "shorter".   However, you have to an OL than can at least get you 3 yards per play to do this.  If they can get you 3 to 3 1/2 yards per play, you keep scores low and even give yourself a chance to win... especially if the defense can at least make the opponent earn their TDs and, again, keep that clock running. 

From the looks of their scores, they struggled with both.  I would imagine Sunbright's struggles begin with the very low enrollment.

A good strength and speed program + continuing to keep things simple and master their jobs can help as the kids mature.  But, it takes time and follow through... and that makes it tough in today's age of "I want it now".   

One plus at Sunbright is I believe it is a K-12 school.  Get a "feeder" strength & speed program going in elementary and middle school and start developing those youngsters early on.  Get your younger teams running the same schemes, yet modified for their age, as the varsity team is running.  Lots of great benefits to working in a school where you can see and work with all the kids in the feeder levels each day.  

Rooting for the Blue and Yellow Tigers.  

Serious question: how in the world did they manage to beat Coalfield this season?  

• Upvote 1

A dumpster fire doesn't mean anything wrong with the kids that are playing football for these programs but usually how things are handled by adults that have an effect on these programs that put them in bad positions. A lot of people may have forgotten this but Sunbright had good seasons in the past like 2010 8-3, 2011 7-4, 2012 7-4, 2014 7-5 2017 6-5 and even 2020 the covid year they had a 4-7 record but since they are 2-28. Now all the sudden no one wants to play or even coach there so what has happened.

6 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

A dumpster fire doesn't mean anything wrong with the kids that are playing football for these programs but usually how things are handled by adults that have an effect on these programs that put them in bad positions. A lot of people may have forgotten this but Sunbright had good seasons in the past like 2010 8-3, 2011 7-4, 2012 7-4, 2014 7-5 2017 6-5 and even 2020 the covid year they had a 4-7 record but since they are 2-28. Now all the sudden no one wants to play or even coach there so what has happened.

Those  people are getting harder to find these days. Here’s hoping that these Schools that have fallen on hard times finds one these gems!

On 12/20/2023 at 3:11 AM, 11B said:

I know Sunbright has a low enrollment to begin with, which obviously means quality and experienced depth will always be an issue... especially with O and D linemen.  I think they run a single-wing type offense, which is exactly what you want to do to keep the clock running and make games "shorter".   However, you have to an OL than can at least get you 3 yards per play to do this.  If they can get you 3 to 3 1/2 yards per play, you keep scores low and even give yourself a chance to win... especially if the defense can at least make the opponent earn their TDs and, again, keep that clock running. 

From the looks of their scores, they struggled with both.  I would imagine Sunbright's struggles begin with the very low enrollment.

A good strength and speed program + continuing to keep things simple and master their jobs can help as the kids mature.  But, it takes time and follow through... and that makes it tough in today's age of "I want it now".   

One plus at Sunbright is I believe it is a K-12 school.  Get a "feeder" strength & speed program going in elementary and middle school and start developing those youngsters early on.  Get your younger teams running the same schemes, yet modified for their age, as the varsity team is running.  Lots of great benefits to working in a school where you can see and work with all the kids in the feeder levels each day.  

Rooting for the Blue and Yellow Tigers.  

Serious question: how in the world did they manage to beat Coalfield this season?  

they didnt beat coalfield thats a typo by unapproved website