Varsity rosters

ReitzFan

10 hours ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

I don't see this as a coach responsibility during the season. I see this clearly an Athletic Director responsibility. The coach gives the information to the AD and from that point forward the AD should communicate with outside people. When I was teaching (Not Coaching) I had a ton of emails to answer everyday, lesson plans, evaluations, exams, parent meetings, grading work, teaching, etc... every day. I could not imagine being a coach on top of all that. So I think you are wrong slamming coaches for not getting the radio guys a roster. you should be slamming AD's

Let me say that the vast majority of coaches are happy to get broadcasters a numerical roster upon request in a timely manner. It is a select few that won't send a roster or they send a roster with no player numbers attached. Like another poster said, providing a numerical roster upon request is not that hard. The vast majority will provide the requested information. The biggest problem comes when a roster is sent WITH NO NUMBERS.   There is no excuse for that to happen. I find that to be a trait of certain basketball coaches as I have never had that happen with any other sport I cover. 

In regards to  athletic directors, in a perfect world they would be the ones to deal with concerning rosters. But especially a small schools, the AD us usually already a coach, a vice principal, or they teach a full load.

14 hours ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

I was at a tournament after Christmas where a team was assessed an administrative technical foul because the printed roster supplied by the coach had inaccurate information. Numbers didn't match the players. Even gave his own scorer bad information. I would give a pass at the beginning of the season or if you had a transfer during the season. But once we've cleared Christmas and entering districts you need to do better. 

Fortunately most everyone is in district play and in our district all of the radio crews can work behind the scenes to make sure everyone is covered. 

Happened at SH last (Tuesday) night...subbed in a player not correctly accounted for on the roster in the third quarter. Their own scorekeeper had wrong information on the player. 

6 hours ago, VOLnWTN said:

Since we are on rosters, anyone got Creekwood's?  McKenzie plays them tomorrow night.  Email to mckenzierebelsports@gmail.com

a girls roster with numbers is on MaxImUm prEps with 13 players. Boys roster has 24 players listed with no numbers. No rosters for either team submitted to TSSAA SITE. school site has email addresses for each teams coach listed under winter sports

Edited by ReitzFan

5 hours ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

I will just say this and be finished with this thread. It is the AD at fault not the coach. Ridiculous to get on here and slam the coach for not providing a roster to the radio. It is the AD not the coach. come on man

You obviously have never had to request multiple rosters per week for a season. Could not tell you how many times I've talked to the AD, or the athletic secretary (the real AD) asking for a roster and they say I'll have to get that from the coach. So there's that. Personally, all schools should be required to send in numerical rosters before a season starts to the TSSAA.  You type it up on a piece of paper or in a computer and email it. Wham bam, thank you mam.  Sending it to other sites nce per sport per season is not that hard or time consuming. There are just certain coaches and schools who are lazy. They then wonder why they don't get more coverage.   Fortunately,  after the first round of district competition the problem usually goes away.

Baseball coaches who won't release a starting lineup and batting order until minutes before first pitch are another breed as well. I could write a book about that. Lol

1 hour ago, ReitzFan said:

Baseball coaches who won't release a starting lineup and batting order until minutes before first pitch are another breed as well. I could write a book about that. Lol

Our softball announcer repeatedly has issues with coaches that refuse to hand over a lineup/roster card. I’ve never understood the logic of refusing to give a public address announcer a resource that is helping your players and fans.

On 1/8/2024 at 10:46 PM, tradertwo said:

I'm not arguing that a coach be responsible for "creating" a roster and delivering it to the other team for each game...I'm saying that basketball coaches have from July to practice the team and set their lineup... surely  they can compile a list of players that are members of the team with grade, position, height, and jersey number between July and November! The AD should have every head coaches roster on file and be able to forward the roster on demand. If that's too much to ask, someone isn't too proficient at their job.

14 hours ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

I will just say this and be finished with this thread. It is the AD at fault not the coach. Ridiculous to get on here and slam the coach for not providing a roster to the radio. It is the AD not the coach. come on man

I will conditionally agree, but only because the AD should go to the coach and demand a roster before the season begins...if one is requested yet not produced, then BOTH have failed.

9 hours ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

Our softball announcer repeatedly has issues with coaches that refuse to hand over a lineup/roster card. I’ve never understood the logic of refusing to give a public address announcer a resource that is helping your players and fans.

or they give you a lineup card with last names only. It takes time to properly fill out a scorebook for broadcast purposes. Coaches that delay giving lineup cards to PA or broadcast media are just rude. They think they are playing chess with the other teams coach but it's just a stupid game

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

Thinking of you, @ReitzFan, as we are less than 29 hours away from the first of two region games against the same opponent and cannot get rosters from anyone. Of course they're not on the TSSAA website. 

yes we have a tssaa state quarterfinal game Saturdayin Murfreesboro. Our AD has asked for a roster and I have emailed both the coach and AD. Seeing that we are paying a huge TSSAA extortion fee to the school to stream the game, you would think they could at least send us a roster. They could also post it on their web site, with the TSSAA, COACH T, or one of a few other places. It's not that hard coaches, AD'S and schools. Get with the program. Good nite Irene!!!

Edited by ReitzFan