Electronic communication with catchers

Chinmusic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/27/2024 at 10:40 AM, cbg said:

As a coach why would you not teach your catcher how to call the game.  

I feel like our catchers know how to call a game, but I also feel a cy young winner would be better :)  And thus, improving the catcher's knowledge of calling the game going forward in their journey.

58 minutes ago, BreadTruck28 said:

I feel like our catchers know how to call a game, but I also feel a cy young winner would be better :)  And thus, improving the catcher's knowledge of calling the game going forward in their journey.

At some point you need to cut the umbilical cord and teach in practice and allow the players to play the game.  I see the same thing at the D1 level with coaches wanting to control the whole game and not allowing the players to learn and play.

16 hours ago, cbg said:

At some point you need to cut the umbilical cord and teach in practice and allow the players to play the game.  I see the same thing at the D1 level with coaches wanting to control the whole game and not allowing the players to learn and play.

Because some coaches are a little bit too selfish to give up control. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Because some coaches are a little bit too selfish to give up control. 

It’s easier to control both practice and the games and not teach.  Part of teaching is allowing people to learn from their mistakes

2 hours ago, cbg said:

It’s easier to control both practice and the games and not teach.  Part of teaching is allowing people to learn from their mistakes

True, but that’s not the world we live in today. If I was a coach, I would let my catchers call the game. If he/she (for softball) is willing to put on the gear day in and day out to frame pitches and take a beating, then I’m going to give him/her the benefit of the doubt to call pitches. It’s their game, not mine. 

Regardless, this whole “electronic device” stuff is stupid. It’s just a carry on effect that we’re seeing at the college level, and will tricker down. If a team has any suspicion that someone is stealing signs, then they’re responsible for coming up with signs that are more difficult for the opposing team to steal. Even if that means to add a dummy sign in.